• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've searched and I haven't seen much for this. Where the heck in central Maryland can I go squirrel hunting with a .22lr? It looks like the closest places from western Howard county I can go are Frederick city watershed and Cunningham falls. Everything else public lands on Montgomery, Carroll and Howard appear to be shotgun only.

I picked up a mossberg 702 and should have a 4x32 scope for it in the next couple of days. I was going to go deer hunting Saturday with my ML, but I may have broken my toe, or if not jammed it really bad last night. I can hobble a few hundred yards, but dragging a deer or hiking a couple of miles is out. Maybe if it was only a bad jam/bruising it'll be better by Saturday, but I am not holiday my breath (I hope it is by next Saturday!!!)

I could take my new 12ga out that I also just got, but I'd really like to try the .22lr. I got the .22lr for squirrel, rabbit and plinking. I got the 12ga for goose, turkey and trap. Also no #6 or 7. All I've got is #7.5 trap shells (yeah I could get some #6, but I am cheap and lazy). I was kind of hoping Saturday morning I could drive up to happ-baker, dial in the rifle/sight and then go somewhere semi-nearby for some squirrel hunting.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've searched and I haven't seen much for this. Where the heck in central Maryland can I go squirrel hunting with a .22lr? It looks like the closest places from western Howard county I can go are Frederick city watershed and Cunningham falls. Everything else public lands on Montgomery, Carroll and Howard appear to be shotgun only.

Sounds about right.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    I believe you can use .22lr for squirrel hunting in any MD county, the restriction is for deer hunting only.

From http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearm-regulations/

Breech-loading rifles are those that are not loaded from the muzzle and include, but are not limited to, break action, bolt action, pump action, lever action, falling block, and semi-automatic rifles. Breech-loading rifles may be used to hunt in all counties EXCEPT THEY MAY NOT BE USED TO HUNT DEER in [list of the counties]

I saw people hunting squirrels with .22lr in Patuxent river park in MoCo part.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    When I called to get my reservation at Hugg Thomas last year they said no to 22lr

That also limits your shots.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But a lot of the public lands specifically say archery, archery and ML or archery, ML and shotgun only. They don't quibble on what you are using it for.

I asked the same question direct to DNR.

.22 is legal STATEWIDE......

"Shotgun only" counties only apply to deer.

^^ I'd go with this,it's in writing.

When I called to get my reservation at Hugg Thomas last year they said no to 22lr

That also limits your shots.

Not directed at you Melnic,but if it's not in print in the Guide then I'm not taking the word of someone over the phone.

Budmag

Oct 31, 2015
    Patuxent Refuge in Laurel allows small game with .22cal but not sure if rimfire or centerfire but it should be one of the two, it does have a prequalifier for bow and shotgun and not sure if that included the .22 cal coz they said I'm good to go after passing the bow qualifier. You have to pass one or the other to be a member and you have to be a member in order to hunt there

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ^^ I'd go with this,it's in writing.

Not directed at you Melnic,but if it's not in print in the Guide then I'm not taking the word of someone over the phone.

It says it specifically on the website as well as posted signage in the parking area at Hugg that no rifles or pistols.

Unless a .22lr isn't considered a rifle, it isn't legal on a lot of public land. It calls out in a lot of places things like archery only, or archery, shooting and ML. I really doubt their intent is you can hunt anything except deer with a rifle by that.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    ^^ I'd go with this,it's in writing. Not directed at you Melnic,but if it's not in print in the Guide then I'm not taking the word of someone over the phone.

The guide won't state the restrictions of a DNR controlled property. You can hunt squirrel on private land in Howard with a 22 but Hugg is DNR controlled

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    The guide won't state the restrictions of a DNR controlled property. You can hunt squirrel on private land in Howard with a 22 but Hugg is DNR controlled

Hugg is like that due to proximity to housing.
    Or at least that is what a DNR cop (friend) told me a year or so ago.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I'm in western Howard County and my teenage sons squirrel hunt in the woods behind our house with Gammo .177's which are super accurate and quiet. 25 yard head shots are not a problem. They've gotten 8 to 10 so far this year including two really nice black squirrels. There's no shortage of squirrels since they repopulate faster than you can shoot them. I don't bother with squirrels myself since there's so little meat on them. Even the fat looking ones are mostly fur. My sons wait until they have five or six in the freezer and then grill them up with their friends. Using a .22lr makes a lot more noise which makes it more difficult to find places to hunt.

TheRevolution

Dec 21, 2012
    It says it specifically on the website as well as posted signage in the parking area at Hugg that no rifles or pistols.

Unless a .22lr isn't considered a rifle, it isn't legal on a lot of public land. It calls out in a lot of places things like archery only, or archery, shooting and ML. I really doubt their intent is you can hunt anything except deer with a rifle by that.

The way I understand it is that you can use a rifle to hunt, provided it is not for deer, anywhere in Maryland, unless otherwise specifically stated. An example of this would be some public lands that state "shotgun only" or "bow only". I also don't think there is any rule limiting it to .22 caliber either.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Problem is all Howard and Montgomery public lands I've checked have all specifically state either bow only, how and ML or bow, ML and shotgun only. Carroll too, except I think Hanover on the state line allows rifles, but Hanover is further from me than Cunningham or Frederick watershed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom