• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Scope rings that is :D

So this is more or less a follow up to the scope mount thread I started about 2 weeks ago. I purchased a set of Warne rings for my 700 and plan to lap them before mounting my scope. However, today I was mounting a scope for a friend and his rings were ribbed on the inside. I'm guessing this gives it more grip?

So what's better? Smooth, smooth and lapped, or ribbed?

Attachments

• smooth.jpeg
      smooth.jpeg
      49.5 KB · Views: 350
    • ribbed.jpeg
      ribbed.jpeg
      58.4 KB · Views: 341

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Smooth and lapped will give you the best percentage of contact area to hold the scope. Right off the bat, ribbed rings sacrifice the areas where material was removed, so you can never have as much engagement as with lapped/smooth rings.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thats about what i thought with the ribbed rings.

I'm really impressed with the Warne rings so far. They seem to be high quality.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I wouldn't let a ribbed ring anywhere near my scopes.

Same. Lapping is the way to go in my opinion. No two sets of rings are the same. Why damage a scope that costs hundreds of dollars. I asked this question about a year ago in a thread. Be prepared to hear every difference of opinion there is. Haha

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Thats about what i thought with the ribbed rings.

I'm really impressed with the Warne rings so far. They seem to be high quality.

I have Warne Rings on my Savage 10T and they were smooth from the factory. I still had them lapped. As far as I remember from the few sets of Warne rings I have had, I do not recall seeing any with ribbing.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I have Warne Rings on my Savage 10T and they were smooth from the factory. I still had them lapped. As far as I remember from the few sets of Warne rings I have had, I do not recall seeing any with ribbing.

Correct. The Warne ring is in the top picture (smooth). The ribbed ring in the bottom pic was off my friends rifle. Not sure what brand it is.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    My Millet rings were ribbed. I have stopped using them. Had 2 sets strip threads on the mounting screw. I use the fat wrench to put them on so they weren't over torqued. Bench gun at that, no hunting beating and banging. Happened half way thru a match. I use warne now

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Ribbed for her pleasure, I must be getting old, would be turning them inside out myself.

No ribbed scope rings either. Who makes those and what is the rivet looking thing in the center?

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I might be mistaken, but wasn't there a fad for ribbed rings in the '90s? I seem to recall this not being a new invention. BTW... every issue of Precision Shooting had some form of service for lapping and mounting scope rings.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My Millet rings were ribbed. I have stopped using them. Had 2 sets strip threads on the mounting screw. I use the fat wrench to put them on so they weren't over torqued. Bench gun at that, no hunting beating and banging. Happened half way thru a match. I use warne now

I use a fat wrench too. They're pretty awesome!

Ribbed for her pleasure, I must be getting old, would be turning them inside out myself.

No ribbed scope rings either. Who makes those and what is the rivet looking thing in the center?

Not sure who makes it or what it is. It seems odd to have that on the inside of a ring.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The ribbed ring appears to be Millett Angle Lock Rings. They come with tape that supposed to be used inside the rung to get better contact.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Same here. Millets are junk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom