• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't even what section of the MDS forum to post this in, so, here I go...

I am posting this here because I am curious to know if anyone else has ever heard of doing this.

This is one of the most insane, and interesting to say the least, side projects I have ever been hired to do outside of repairing CB & HAM radio units for a living. I have never used my Weller and solder for such an idea.

I have a buddy who heard about this idea and the object is to make it look like eyes of a Fox / Predator to keep the Coons and other undesirable vermin out of his Chicken house. I reached in to my vast array of parts drawers here in my shop and dug out some green blinkers and wired up a small harness with power from a 9V battery and here we have the final result. I got overly involved with this project, so, you have got see my video I made of it:

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I put together a couple of pairs of red LED "eyes", a few years ago, and placed them in the bushes for Halloween. I didn't take note of their effect on predators, however... only the trick-or-treaters. :D

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Are they blinking independently? I think they would look better if they blinked together. Maybe 10 seconds on, 1 second off.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Are they blinking independently? I think they would look better if they blinked together. Maybe 10 seconds on, 1 second off.

They are independent. I was shooting for the illusion of the Predator looking side to side as it was walking. Something to that effect... This is a one-off for me and I grasp the concept of the idea, but, beats the hell out of me if it actually works. My buddy Charlie lives in the hills in Amissville, VA and somewhere he heard about this concept, so, I don't much more complex circuits than this in my decades with a soldering pencil, but, this was by far the most interesting even given its simplicity. Someone told him it keeps the Raccoons out of their Chicken house, so, here we are.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Animals eyes do not emit any light but reflect the light of your flashlight or headlight.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    This Nite Eyes is the only similar idea I could come up with related to what Charlie asked me to construct for him. I have no idea how the Red LEDs relate to anything, but, I guess that why we used Green to begin with. No Fox I have ever come across in the dark has had red eyes. Maybe the Red is for a demon Chupacabra or something.

6005-2.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Probably just a crazy thought, but what if the chickens see the "eyes" and it stresses them out?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Probably just a crazy thought, but what if the chickens see the "eyes" and it stresses them out?

They fall over and you eat them. Serious though. Chickens are fighters. They are not "chicken" to do battle with a predator. Chickens won't attack unless provoked. I grew up on farms and let me assure you, a Chicken could care less about any predator unless they are in physical danger.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    That looks like it might have practical applications. I wonder if adding a 'call' to the lights would seal the deal and keep predators away?

I am wondering if this and a coyote in heat call might seal the deal for night time hunting in February while they are breeding. Heck I've tried crazier tactics.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    ??? Reply is to what ? You've lost me.

I think his point is that the we see "predators eyes" similarly to your blinky LED's only because we are illuminating them with an un-natural light source. It's not likely that any other animal would see blinking LED's and think "fox eyes" because animals don't use flashlights.

-Jim

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I think his point is that the we see "predators eyes" similarly to your blinky LED's only because we are illuminating them with an un-natural light source. It's not likely that any other animal would see blinking LED's and think "fox eyes" because animals don't use flashlights.

-Jim

:thumbsup: also if stationary the animals would get used to them after awhile...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

-Jim

Yeah that is true, but, I'll have to assume that at some point the Vermin once saw a Predator in the Moonlight ? LOL I have no idea man. I just built what the customer asked for. I'm all about keeping Vermin away, but, I prefer the bullet method and not repeat offenses of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom