• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I took mine off and just run a rubber sleeve on my AR pistol now. Its much lighter, better looking, and once I got used to it feels fine shouldering just the buffer tube.
    Anyone want to buy a "like new" FDE Sig brace? :D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I took mine off and just run a rubber sleeve on my AR pistol now. Its much lighter, better looking, and once I got used to it feels fine shouldering just the buffer tube.
    Anyone want to buy a "like new" FDE Sig brace? :D

...or two?:innocent0

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Can anyone provide a legal distinction - or even a bureaucratic "opinion" - that explains the difference between placing SIG brace against one's shoulder as opposed to placing a buffer tube against one's shoulder?

I somehow doubt it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Can anyone provide a legal distinction - or even a bureaucratic "opinion" - that explains the difference between placing SIG brace against one's shoulder as opposed to placing a buffer tube against one's shoulder?

I somehow doubt it.

I wouldn't press that issue too hard either.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I wouldn't press that issue too hard either.

I somehow doubt it.

I don't think it really matters. A pistol is a pistol, and the law doesn't designate a correct way to shoot it.

Let me just clarify that when I said I removed my sig brace it was not because i was nervous about the ATF letter and think that shouldering the buffer tube is a more acceptable solution. I really didnt like the brace on there because its rather heavy (the first gen) and ugly. I much prefer just the tube and a sleeve.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I never thought the Sig brace was all that great. I've just got a crutch tip, and a rubber innertube cover on the buffer tube. Seems to work well enough. (A crutch tip is only a few bucks, and I saw the ATF letter that read "a crutch tip is not a stock". So good enough for me.)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    My 2 cents: The best stability for an AR pistol is pushing it out against a shoulder loop strap.

Not to mention, it is an inexpensive, lawyer-free option.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It doesn't matter in the short term what the "law" says. If BATFE interprets it in a certain way, if you violate that interpretation, you could be arrested and have to fight in court (paying the bills).

In the end, you win (no jail) if they cannot support their interpretation, but at what cost (arrest, court, lawyer fees, etc).

Form 1 SBR is $200 and a couple of months (with a trust).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Here's a stab :

A SIG Brace type thingie is arguably *Intended* to facilitate firing from shoulder.

A Buffer Tube is inherently an intrigal part of the firearm necessary for it to function. ( leastwise for actual AR based firearms, AR tubes adapted to other designs where not needed to function, are setting toes upon a slippery slope.

What R&R said about sling tension.

If magically an AR didn't require a buffer and spring, I'd be glad to shorten my AR pistol by that amount.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If magically an AR didn't require a buffer and spring, I'd be glad to shorten my AR pistol by that amount.

There's one or two of these around. Piston designs. Rock River makes one, I believe. I'll keep mine with the buffer tube just the same. Even without shouldering it, the third point of contact at the cheek improves accuracy a lot over floating it out in front.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Someone should design an upper that does not require a buffer tube.

The FN FAL rifle has a buffer tube also. But the Para version, with folding stock, puts the recoil spring in the dust cover above the bolt.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It doesn't matter in the short term what the "law" says. If BATFE interprets it in a certain way, if you violate that interpretation, you could be arrested and have to fight in court (paying the bills).

In the end, you win (no jail) if they cannot support their interpretation, but at what cost (arrest, court, lawyer fees, etc).

Form 1 SBR is $200 and a couple of months (with a trust).

That's good for everything except that pesky MD interpretation. Tough to get a real pistol to also meet that greater than 29 inch SBR thingy. Have MD over rule that and I bet there'd be a bunch of SBR applications to the ATF from the great state of Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom