• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Why do you guys use butyl tape to rebed stantions? I've had to remove that junk before and I'm not impressed with it.

4200 or 5200 are the best in my experience. And much easier to clean up if needed, as they actually sand away after you cut and scrape the bulk away.

Stantions (usually) are easy. Chainplates are a whole lot less fun since the deck core is rotten around them 90% of the time, and needs to be impregnated with epoxy.

Well, the C&C used it and kept doing that. If you handle it correctly its ok. 5200 is a no no on boats unless you want it that way forever. Some go that way and I hear there is a way to dissolve it but never wanted to find out.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    IMG_1246.jpg

With the wind the way it was I left the cuddy cabin home and pulled out the jon boat for some fishing on the local river. My soon to be step son caught his first ever fish , a 13" largemouth and he was thrilled.

Awsom, I hope to catch at least 5 over 18'' both this Sat and Sun. Gots me a big tourny to fish.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    My C-27 is already in the water. Splashed last Friday but the marina screwed up the engine winterization and is fixing the damage. She's been tied on the wall waiting for winds that aren't howling out of the west so I can get her out and back into her slip. Short trip. Just a few hundred yards from the marina to my creek.

Spent all day yesterday working on my Star. She's almost ready for racing. I'm racing this weekend in our season opener on another Star. Going to be a great season on the Bay and weeknights on Spa Creek.

My wife's Bayliner splashes this weekend. Just got our new ramp key so it can leave our driveway.

I'm waiting for winter to finish taking a hike so I can get to the proper business of sailing!

Matt

sandbar

Nov 21, 2008
    Harford County
    I like how the Bene's are laid out below, and love their lines. I have a problem with steel underwater. I know I know they have been making boats longer than practically anyone.... :) The Catalina wasn't my first choice. I had a C&C 29 Mk II that could out point anything on the bay.... I SWEAR that boat could practically go directly into the wind. BUT when the family came, that boat was just not right. So.... Like you I made the executive decision to buy this boat. Hauled it out from Chicago, was like 5 years brand new. (2004) Fresh water!!!!! The boat is comfortable for us and it is one of Catalina's faster hulls. I have a folding prop on it, and that really helps. Otherwise she is a pig in anything under 5 knts. What year is your 343? Also your first sailboat?

She is an 07. My first boat. My parents had a 23' mirage up in Havre de grace when I was younger and that is what i learned to sail on. They had to sell the boat when i was around 12 yrs old so I have been out of sailing for about 20 some years. So I am still a bit rusty, but getting there. No long voyages yet..this year we will be taking my son out for the first time which should be a blast. I really liked the C&Cs we looked at, but they were a tad older and the admiral didn't exactly love the layout down below on them because they are more of a racing boat. So we were down to the catalina and beneteau...i just prefered the lines of the beneteau and we came across a really good deal on the one we got...i am sure our broker hated us by the time I finally signed on the dotted line, but oh well, that is why they get a commission. And yes, she isn't a speed deamon in the lighter winds...There have been several days where we have bobbed around like a cork or just drifted backwards, but no matter what that still beats a day sitting in the office.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Well, the C&C used it and kept doing that. If you handle it correctly its ok. 5200 is a no no on boats unless you want it that way forever. Some go that way and I hear there is a way to dissolve it but never wanted to find out.

It's all about technique. Gotta pry 5200 up carefully, but it's very much doable. I can't even begin to tell you how many cartridges of that stuff I've used working in a boatyard for over 10 years. We used it on everything including deck hardware, never had any complaints about it.

I guess I'm weird. I'm not sacred of 5200 or red loctite. Lol.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    My dad hasn't even talked about splashing his 28' Chris Craft Catalina yet. It's waiting patiently at Len's on Broomes Island on the Pax. Long ride from up here.

I have an extended Alumacraft 1448 with a Seadoo IB jet in the shed. I usually don't take it out until the NOAA gauge at Williamsport gets below 2'.

peoples1234

Mar 27, 2013
    It's all about technique. Gotta pry 5200 up carefully, but it's very much doable. I can't even begin to tell you how many cartridges of that stuff I've used working in a boatyard for over 10 years. We used it on everything including deck hardware, never had any complaints about it.

I guess I'm weird. I'm not sacred of 5200 or red loctite. Lol.

It is not about being scared. It is about using the best material for the job. Butyl is the correct material for almost all bedding above the waterline. Of course using the correct butyl is important and not all butyl is created equal.

5200 is way overused.

Last edited:

Ringmaster

Feb 9, 2013
    Howard County
    I'm late this year because I refuse to wax and do bottom work in the cold and it didn't start to warm up until late March. We race an Express 30 on the Patapsico out of Rock Creek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom