Concealed carry...give it to me straight...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I've heard many different things...a) you'll never get a concealed carry permit in Maryland or b) you can get one but only if your line of work would suggest the necessity of having one or c) you might get one but you can only concealed carry during business hours.

Most recently I've heard that some of the onerous restrictions might have been loosened up a bit.

So give it to me straight. How hard is it to get a concealed carry permit now...in August of 2019? How long does it take? Can you actually use it to carry concealed at all times or not?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I've heard many different things...a) you'll never get a concealed carry permit in Maryland or b) you can get one but only if your line of work would suggest the necessity of having one or c) you might get one but you can only concealed carry during business hours.

Most recently I've heard that some of the onerous restrictions might have been loosened up a bit.

So give it to me straight. How hard is it to get a concealed carry permit now...in August of 2019? How long does it take? Can you actually use it to carry concealed at all times or not?

Not every one can get a permit in MD. We are still May Issue. There are categories of permits you must fit into. Personal protection, assumed risk, and business owner/employee(with business owner approval) will get you permits. Restrictions at this point basically only apply to the employee category-in most cases all others will get a unrestricted or essentially unrestricted permit. There are lots of if ands or buts involved, if you tell us what category of permit you might fit into we might be able to help you a little more.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Thanks for the reply. I am a business owner so that might be my classification but more than that I would probably fall into the "personal protection" category. I am currently on the eastern shore but my previous experience has been in Idaho and Oregon where getting a concealed carry permit was not a major issue.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Please note, Rab mentioned "personal protection," that is going to require that you convince the MSP someone is actively trying to kill you. This will involve documented threats if not actual assaults, usually in the form of police reports or eyewitness affidavits. For us "mere mortals" personal protection won't work as Maryland resolutely sticks to it's outdated "may issue if you beg just right" carry scheme.

Having said that, the OP seems to fall into the "business owner" category so under the current MSP standards will almost certainly get his permit, and it will not have any restrictions. To answer the OP's other question, "employees" can still get a permit with an employer request letter, the current restriction language is "between residence and work and while engaged in any on-site or off-site business activity for" the employer.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Thanks for your response as well...which gets to the heart of my question. Your sentiment...that in MD one has to prove imminent danger to get a concealed carry permit under the "personal protection" category...is what I have always heard and is what I am asking about. For some reason I thought I had heard that things were loosening up a little bit in that regard and that it perhaps wasn't quite such a problem. I'm wondering if there are folks out there applying for a permit in the last six months or so and specifically applying in some of the more rural counties. Is it truly out of the question to get a permit based on a just plain, old fashioned "I want to be able to protect myself" rationale?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is it truly out of the question to get a permit based on a just plain, old fashioned "I want to be able to protect myself" rationale?

Essentially, yes. Hence the business owner approach. It's not rational, but we're not dealing with an agency obliged to adhere to rational policy on this.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Essentially, yes. Hence the business owner approach. It's not rational, but we're not dealing with an agency obliged to adhere to rational policy on this.

We're not dealing with an agency with any sort of fixed policy, short of straight-up denial. They make it up as they go along.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    If your a business owner then keep it simple. Apply for "making deposits." That's it. I have a small multimedia business. I don't carry cash or valuables, never have.

If you have a legit business, you will get a permit, and now with the change they just made, you will receive an unrestricted permit.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    What does one need to have to prove they are a business? I have my own business, pay taxes at the end of they year, use cash often to buy supplies and materials. I do not have a business checking account or business credit card. When I receive checks for payment for work done they are in my name. I am not registered as a Sole Proprietor, Tradings As or LLC. What I do does not require a license.

How do I prove I'm a business?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    What does one need to have to prove they are a business? I have my own business, pay taxes at the end of they year, use cash often to buy supplies and materials. I do not have a business checking account or business credit card. When I receive checks for payment for work done they are in my name. I am not registered as a Sole Proprietor, Tradings As or LLC. What I do does not require a license.

Presumably you keep receipts for those cash purchases? And you normal IRS/State tax filings show the business income listed as such, right? When someone writes you a check for business activity, that corresponds with some sort of invoice/receipt you give THEM, and you keep a copy of both, right? Those things would go a long way.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md

Do you file a Schedule C with the IRS?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

I suspect having a MD business license would go a long way toward proof.

Being an ordinary, non-threatened, non-connected law abiding citizen (C&R holder), I have zero chance at a W&C here. I retired too early to qualify for one of the reasons.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Genuine question I've never researched - if you stand up a 1099 for yourself, (or LLC), what's considered true business ownership against temp contracting? Like is there a set number of hours / year or something, or is that even close to the 'requirements' here in Marylandistan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom