• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -This was the carrot that led me to the SS issue DSM training rifle. It's a Colt Woodsman Sport Model, First Series. SN dates manufacture to mid Depression Era: 1936. Approx. 10,000 were built that year which surprised me. But considering many outdoors men thought this to be the ideal trail pistol maybe not.
    -Having added many Woodsman Target and Match Target examples to the collection the only glaring omission was a Sport model. For once I got smart and decided to act when the opportunity to bid on a very nice example came along. I'd been watching prices on Sport Woodsman pistols take a sharp uptick over the last 2-3 years after languishing for quite a while. Figured it was time to act or I would be looking at a four figure payout to get a nice one in the near future.
    -The primary difference between the Sport and Target models is barrel length. The Sport model features a handy 4.5" barrel versus the 6" or 6 5/8" long barrel of the Target model. This one has a solid finish with very minor edge wear, some thinning on the straps, a tiny spot of holster wear near the left side of the muzzle and two thin scratches on the right side of the slide. I'd swag it at low 90s for condition. Correct Colt issue magazine and very nice grips with sharp checkering and no chips. By this time the high velocity mainspring was standard and the horizontal grooved back strap confirms it.
    -With a 98-99 point finish and a factory box you'd be looking at a $2 - 2.5K pistol all day long. This one, without box and the minor finish flaws, would probably be in the $800-900 range. You all know me, I didn't pay anywhere near that for this one. Worthy of a nice vintage holster, I've already started the search for a full flap Heiser holster with magazine pouch. We'll see how long it takes me!

Attachments

• IMGP8810.JPG
      IMGP8810.JPG
      41.5 KB · Views: 344
    • IMGP8811.JPG
      IMGP8811.JPG
      75.2 KB · Views: 321
    • IMGP8813.JPG
      IMGP8813.JPG
      42 KB · Views: 313
    • IMGP8816.JPG
      IMGP8816.JPG
      46.5 KB · Views: 288
    • IMGP8828.JPG
      IMGP8828.JPG
      33.7 KB · Views: 316
    • IMGP8829.JPG
      IMGP8829.JPG
      44.2 KB · Views: 309
    Jul 1, 2012
    That looks quite nice! (and sporty :) )
    Having good grips and the correct magazine are a definite plus for these early guys.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Was lucky that I was bidding against a dealer who had to leave money on the table. So I got it for my routine 80 point bid (80% of market value). That puts you between dealers and those with deep pockets, what I consider to be the sweet spot. Leaves me room to throw in a +1 or +2 bid if I think it's worth it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Beautiful Mawkie! We'll never see that kind of finish and craftsmanship in a commercial .22 again.

My mind instantly jumps to the recent Colt 1903 re-issue. Nice but nothing like the early 1st, 2nd or even 3rd variation finishes. And even with a rougher finish they had to be priced in the $1k range for Colt to turn a profit. Tells you that not only does the expertise/labor exist to replicate those classic finishes in volume, neither does the market. Puts you closer to custom, high labor finishes like those from Turnbull.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My mind instantly jumps to the recent Colt 1903 re-issue. Nice but nothing like the early 1st, 2nd or even 3rd variation finishes. And even with a rougher finish they had to be priced in the $1k range for Colt to turn a profit. Tells you that not only does the expertise/labor exist to replicate those classic finishes in volume, neither does the market. Puts you closer to custom, high labor finishes like those from Turnbull.

I couldn't agree more. I have an old J.C. Higgins pump shotgun (High Standard branded for Sears for the youngsters out there) that was my dad's gun, not worth much, but priceless to me, and even that gun shows a fit and finish nicer than the commercial factory guns I see on the rack today. And to look at the finish on a K31 or a Krag and realize that they were miltary rifles - incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom