• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    Hey y’all, this is my first post so here goes

I am trying to find some public land to hunt on the eastern shore, I’ve only ever hunted on my friends’ property but I’ve been feeling a bit adventurous this year. I don’t have too much time to scout out because of work, but I’m thinking of going out to the Nanticoke WMA soon just to get a lay of the land and talk to some of the guys/gals there. Any suggestions for nearby?

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Good area. Ellis bay and much more is down thru muddyhole which is also close to nanticoke The Ellis bay will be tough hunting. Mud for days and the sika aren’t the most patternable or cooperative deer

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Unless you run in to someone hunting there, there are no gal/guys there. I’ve hunted there a few times. Zero luck. Seen plenty of deer though. I enjoy the terrain. It’s a long hike from the parking lot to the trail head. About 3/4 of a mile. Longer now that they clear cut a lot of the woods. Probably a mile before you get back to real woods.

Keep that in mind for getting anything out. A buddy or a deer cart is a requirement or you are quartering it.

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    Unless you run in to someone hunting there, there are no gal/guys there. I’ve hunted there a few times. Zero luck. Seen plenty of deer though. I enjoy the terrain. It’s a long hike from the parking lot to the trail head. About 3/4 of a mile. Longer now that they clear cut a lot of the woods. Probably a mile before you get back to real woods.

Keep that in mind for getting anything out. A buddy or a deer cart is a requirement or you are quartering it.

Yeah I checked it out, beautiful land. Looks like they’ve done a controlled burn there... would that affect the deer population? I saw a few deer (it was a hot day and around 1:00pm) and found a lot of tracks. I would definitely bring a cart if I end up getting in a tree there this fall

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah I checked it out, beautiful land. Looks like they’ve done a controlled burn there... would that affect the deer population? I saw a few deer (it was a hot day and around 1:00pm) and found a lot of tracks. I would definitely bring a cart if I end up getting in a tree there this fall

Neither positive or negative for deer pop most likely. They do controlled burns there periodically. I’d just be mindful that early
    Gun season is likely Crazy packed on Saturdays.

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    Neither positive or negative for deer pop most likely. They do controlled burns there periodically. I’d just be mindful that early
    Gun season is likely Crazy packed on Saturdays.

For sure, it’s like that at most places haha I really only plan on being there during the week and most likely in October

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have hunted Chesapeake forest lands on eastern shore.
    GEt a 2-3 person molded sled. Bring a short boat dock line. I tie it to the deer's neck and then through the sled so that your pulling the deed but also the sled.
    Eastern shore is flat. My first time hunting over at Campbell (60 ft road) , my hunting partner got a doe 1 1/2 miles in from where we parked. I dragged it out for him on the trails and never got tired.
    Another time I got one about 3/4 mile in and had to walk over kind of swampy/wet/grassy area and it just dragged all on time on the top. A cart would have dug in.

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    I have hunted Chesapeake forest lands on eastern shore.
    GEt a 2-3 person molded sled. Bring a short boat dock line. I tie it to the deer's neck and then through the sled so that your pulling the deed but also the sled.
    Eastern shore is flat. My first time hunting over at Campbell (60 ft road) , my hunting partner got a doe 1 1/2 miles in from where we parked. I dragged it out for him on the trails and never got tired.
    Another time I got one about 3/4 mile in and had to walk over kind of swampy/wet/grassy area and it just dragged all on time on the top. A cart would have dug in.

Great tip man I’m for sure gonna do something like that. It was dry when I was there but I def saw some places that usually hold a lot of H2O

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom