• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colts are MilSpec...not all others can make that claim. That doesn't mean others are junk...it means Colt goes the process of checking all the components which is expensive. Other makes may or may have components that pass MilSpec testing...they don't test them. They could use parts that are overruns from vendors or possibly even seconds to keep costs down.

You get what you pay for.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Colts are MilSpec...not all others can make that claim. That doesn't mean others are junk...it means Colt goes the process of checking all the components which is expensive. Other makes may or may have components that pass MilSpec testing...they don't test them. They could use parts that are overruns from vendors or possibly even seconds to keep costs down.

You get what you pay for.

You make a great argument!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    He is not hung up on a name, he just want a quality rifle that goes bang. It is his first one and he read that 1:7 is the way to go his mind is set on that. I recommended a brand new Wyndham Weaponry whish is on sale at Sportsman Warehouse for $619 with free shipping (a bushmaster for $619, think about that for a sec) but it is 1:9. I shoot green tipped 62grain and don't have an issue either way.

Your friend is going to make compromises with whatever he buys. That's simply the nature of the beast, whether he's aware or otherwise. Much depends on what your friend really wants most out of his purchase.

There's nothing magical in and of itself about a 7 twist barrel. Yeah, if you want to shoot the longer 70 and 77 grain bullets, it's the way to go. The US military led that faster twist trend. They had any number of good reasons over the years to do it. But while it will likely do plenty well enough with many for many applications, it also likely won't shoot the 55 grain quite as well as the 9 twist will. And those 55 grain cartridges are typically the sweet spot on cost, and what most still buy for best price and "good enough". Or if loading one's own, the shorter and lighter component bullets can be had for 1/3 to 1/5 the cost.

There's good and there's good enough in a lot of things. But there's no absolute magical best with much of anything for covering all things at all times and all various applications.

That Windham at $619 may not be the answer for your buddy. But that's indeed a decent rifle at a great price.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    LOL - no---- He is wearing a steel mask a bomb vest and is shooting several thousand rounds in full auto... good luck trying to hold the hand guard :)

Last edited:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    LOL - no---- He is wearing a steel mask a bomb vest and is shooting several thousand rounds in full auto... good luck trying to hold the hand guard :)

I've seen him do other tests...he seemed to have a tough time with this one for sure. That thing just looks like it weighs a ton.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Here is the spec sheet, 5.4LBS unloaded just like mine. Fully loaded I bet it is exactly 6.9LBS

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/the-constable-pistol/

edit: One thing I noticed though is that the added weight makes shooting easier out of a 10.5 then my flyweight DI 10.5 (almost 1.5LBS lighter I believe). Something I am going to focus on on long range sessions to see what feels better when shooting.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The LE6920 HBPW has a 14.5" SOCOM heavy barrel (with a pinned and welded flash hider to extend the barrel to 16.1") that has a 1:7 twist. If you read about this SOCOM barrel on AR15.com, it has an excellent reputation for accuracy.

I have the same setup!!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    What does your experience say?

mnNRwHE.gif

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    SEALS and maybe other special ops tend to use piston guns for basically one reason...the piston operated carbines are more reliable when submerged in water which is a common environment for them.

If you don't go swimming with your AR the piston is of no real advantage and a DI gun is more than adequate unless you simply want one and that's enough reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom