• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Looking at these currently, I see that Polymer80 has a new gen 3 of their AR-15 pattern out, wondering if that's going to be enough different from the 2nd gen to, well, make a difference.

Also wondering if there are other brands out there to look for that would be good, for a "before the f$cking MGA bans everything" build project.

And yes, I'd like to stick to polymer as I have neither the 1) skills nor 2) tools to work on a metal (aluminum or other) version. This would also probably be for a dedicated .22LR build.

Anyway, I don't see current chat about 80% AR lowers around MDS, so here I am!

SF

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Other than the flared magwell and a heavier buffer tube housing, the only difference that I see is the serial number strip. I like the idea of a heavier buffer tube housing if you plan to use it on rifle caliber uppers.

The G150 v2.0 that I built is waiting for a 9mm upper to compliment it.

tony7815

Feb 11, 2016
    I have machined 3 80% polymer lowers. Two were built into 7.62x39 rifles and perform excellently, very accurate, each have close to 2000 rounds through them. I haven't decided what I want to build with the third lower. I used Polymer80 brand. Rather than use the screws provided to join the two halves of the jig, I drilled through for 4-40 screws and nuts. Also, instead of using the 3/8" twist drill to hog out the material for the fire control group, I used a 5/8 inch Forstner bit. This bit drills a flat bottom hole and allows for overlap drilling. The 0.625" hole is less than the 0.690" final width. The magazine well requires some filing and some filing was required to mate the upper and lower.

marcus6576

Mar 30, 2014
    Annapolis
    I have used 4 James Madison Tactical. I have had zero issues with 3 in 5.56 and 1 in 300 BLK. Easy to machine, no fit issues with mil-spec parts, and about 1000 rnds through each. Also, I used a 3/8 end mill in a drill press for the FCG, which is the proper tool for this. I have heard all the rumors that these can fail, haven't seen any pictures of this yet, YMMV.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have 2 New Frontier poly lowers. One not used yet...might do dedicated 22.
    The other is 5.56 pistol with brace. Maybe 750 rounds with no issues. I'm not crazy about the little flexing I feel, but it works.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I've been thinking about a few poly 80% lowers to build as .22s as well, with possible short term .223 or 7.62x39 use, or just keep the 80% lowers on hand as just in case items. Not sure which brand yet, still researching.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    New Fromtier

The other is 5.56 pistol with brace. Maybe 750 rounds with no issues. I'm not crazy about the little flexing I feel, but it works.

Got a complete lower from joe bobs a couple years ago to build a cheapo AR15 and was able to back then for under $500. Works well does flex a little. Built for .223/5.56. Texas Precision Tactical complete upper 1:7 twist too.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    80%

Were they 80% or complete or stripped? Thought they also made 80% polymer as well

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Read of these

I have used 4 James Madison Tactical. I have had zero issues with 3 in 5.56 and 1 in 300 BLK. Easy to machine, no fit issues with mil-spec parts, and about 1000 rnds through each. Also, I used a 3/8 end mill in a drill press for the FCG, which is the proper tool for this. I have heard all the rumors that these can fail, haven't seen any pictures of this yet, YMMV.

I read they are near or tops in a lot of 80% poll rankings

MrRescuePack

Jul 7, 2019
    Maryland
    I tried it

Looking at these currently, I see that Polymer80 has a new gen 3 of their AR-15 pattern out, wondering if that's going to be enough different from the 2nd gen to, well, make a difference.

Also wondering if there are other brands out there to look for that would be good, for a "before the f$cking MGA bans everything" build project.

And yes, I'd like to stick to polymer as I have neither the 1) skills nor 2) tools to work on a metal (aluminum or other) version. This would also probably be for a dedicated .22LR build.

Anyway, I don't see current chat about 80% AR lowers around MDS, so here I am!

SF

I tried the polymer and aluminum... polymer is a bit tricker in my opinion. If you go polymer make sure you receive all your parts because the bolt catch is a proprietary piece that standard lower parts kits won’t fit. Do the corners first when drilling the top and be mind full of how easy the trigger slot and safety hole can be off center. If you want to do aluminum I’d me more than happy to let you use my tools.

GSXR750

Nov 28, 2012
    oh, and to add, if you are using an inexpensive harbor freight drill press and x/y vice, then polymer is the only way to go because there is some slop in those items and it's not as precise unless you can go slow and cut through polymer material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom