‘92 11-87 Premier 12 Ga..... Keep or trade up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    I’m looking for a do-all 12 ga in 28” barrel length for mostly clays and maybe some upland hunting. The 11-87 is in near mint condition and has the Remchoke. However, it’s a slower mover to me due to the extra weight. I’m thinking of putting it up for sale.

I’m thinking of one of these 4 shotguns:

-Benelli Montefeltro (have shot; liked) (inertia)
    -Beretta A400 (gas)
    -Fabarms L4S Initial Hunter (gas)
    -Franchi Affinity 3 (intertia)

Any opinions on these if you’ve owned or had experience with them? Any pros or cons to these you might alert me to?

Any input appreciated.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    I have that exact same gun and use all day long. It’s mid 90’s vintage. (Actually have the SP as well) used them for various clays now trap skeet and SC. And birds and deer in years past.

I am never against anyone getting a new gun! There is nothing wrong with any of the guns you mention wanting to purchase. I shot the monte and the 400 once. both at a range with free test shooting promos. They shot well.

Then again, there is nothing wrong with what you have. (At least you didn’t point anything out)

If I bought something new I’d also keep the 1187, just because. The last time I sold a gun was early 80’s

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    I should add: I’m not recoil averse. I’m a big guy and haven’t had recoil issues with any shotgun ever. The borrowed Monte I did a full round skeet with of and loved it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I learned trap on a Franchi Falconet, then an A5, then an 11-87, then a Beretta 391. Of them all I liked the 11-87 and Beretta the most. If the A400 recoil is comparable to my 391 I would go with that shotgun all day, its fantastic to shoot.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Kind of funny, I just replaced a Beretta 391 with an 11-87.
    The Beretta is in the classifieds here now.
    The Remington just fits better for me which means I hit targets and birds more consistently with it. Both guns go bang and toss out the old shell 100%, so it ends up being the Indian (me) not the arrow.
    Make sure you are really not happy before you replace it. I am not that smart...I have owned at least 3 other 1100's or 11-87's and ended up back where I started. I now have an 11-87 General purpose to abuse and an 1100 G3 to shoot a pretty gun at clays (more or less the same gun). I have others too but the 1100/11-87 platform fits me.
    I have also found I tend to sheet a new or strange gun well the first time or two, probably because I am more focused because it is new to me.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    If I bought something new I’d also keep the 1187, just because. The last time I sold a gun was early 80’s

Ha! I know.. I don’t want to sell it, but I’ve got a deal with the wife that gun money can stay gun money, but a new one would have to get “approved”. I’m not attached to it as much as I am to my 82’ 870 Wingmaster.... that never leaves.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    If the A400 recoil is comparable to my 391 I would go with that shotgun all day, its fantastic to shoot.

Ive read that the A400 recoil is very soft. Im looking at these 4 guns because of the weight drop from the 11-87, the recoil increase isn’t a bother.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Kind of funny, I just replaced a Beretta 391 with an 11-87.

Make sure you are really not happy before you replace it. I am not that smart...I have owned at least 3 other 1100's or 11-87's and ended up back where I started. I now have an 11-87 General purpose to abuse and an 1100 G3 to shoot a pretty gun at clays (more or less the same gun). I have others too but the 1100/11-87 platform fits me.
    I have also found I tend to sheet a new or strange gun well the first time or two, probably because I am more focused because it is new to me.

I’ll take your advise on not getting rid of the 11-87
    Before I figure this out.

This Fabarms company I have to admit I hadn’t heard of before and I just started looking at their XLR and L4S models. They look like quite the well-engineered and built guns from Randy Wakeman’s video reviews:

https://youtu.be/KCpdATRYwLo

This and the Benelli interest me the most, but these Fabarms are up in the higher range of $$ for me.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I have to admit that my heavy 11-87 is my go to gun. I did about the same thing. I had a early 90s 11-87 premier that went everywhere. Must had over 10000 rounds through it. Decided to get a fancy gun, beretta, benelli, browning. After ten years and five or six guns, I ended up picking up the 11-87 everytime. I will say that the beretta was my second favorite, and me and an inertia system don't work well together.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Ive read that the A400 recoil is very soft. Im looking at these 4 guns because of the weight drop from the 11-87, the recoil increase isn’t a bother.

The weight difference is really noticeable. I instantly improved when I switched to the Beretta. I'd never get rid if the 11-87 if it were my call, both are fine guns and you may find you miss the old girl some days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom