• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Before I go out and buy a set of tubes, etc., there are three things I want to do:
    1. Put a bunch of rounds through this Browning at the Trap and Skeet range
    2. Put some more rounds through it
    3. THEN decide what I want to do.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Before I go out and buy a set of tubes, etc., there are three things I want to do:

Yeah, make sure it is the right gun for you before you buy a tube set for it. I was so set on a tube set for my 682 back in 2003 that I bought a stainless steel, lined case, for the tubeset or a barrel set. Then, I bought my 391. Never thought I would shoot clays with a semi. Then, I went and bought a 391 20 gauge. Then, I went and bought an A400 28 gauge. Really wish Beretta would come out with a .410 semi.

Oh yeah, and now I am looking at and debating the purchase of a DT-11 sporting gun just for giggles.

The 682 remains without a tube set, but that case I bought would work on the DT-11 too. lol

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD

Exact way to go about it, get a summer of shooting various clays games under your belt and then think about tube sets or additional shotguns. Along the way if you get in with a regular group you can probably be able to try other guns, can't tell you how many Guerini's I have sold over the last several years by letting shooters try my trap and sporting clays guns.
    It will also depend what sport you end up settling on, Trap is pretty much 12 gauge, you can shoot sub gauge at trap but I have seen very few compete with anything but. a 12.
    Skeet is all gauges and a tube set in a properly fitted gun is probably the way to go.
    Sporting clays is where most shooters seem to eventually gravitate too, has elements of trap, skeet, hunting, every station different, some easy, some that seem impossible. I like using different guns for sporting depending on how I'm feeling that day, sometimes a 20 or 28 gauge pump gun, sometimes a 12 gauge Guerini Impact and most times a vintage SxS. Really does not matter which gun I choose, if I'm on that day will break 70% to 90% of the birds.
    If you end up settling on sporting clays and want to go sub-gauge I recommend a Guerini or Beretta multi barrel set, start with a 20/28 combo set and you can always add 410 later, get the gun properly fitted and you are all set for sub gauge events or just having a lot of fun, I love my 6lb Ithaca 28 gauge on the sporting course, big challenge and tons of fun.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We have a lot of enthusiasm around here for CG and Beretta. No Browning vendors? :)

Plenty of Brownings to check out somewhat locally, depends on where you are coming from.

Largest local (volume/selection) dealer used to be Millers up in New Castle. Luckily, word is they are on their last legs and soon to be out of business. There is a new shop just down the road from them now (next to Hooters). Brand new build, beautiful shop, decent amount of inventory and they don't treat you like a smacked dick if you are there to browse/ask questions.

Mollys also, great store but a little high on price. I buy most of my guns from Reeds Family Outdoors, cheapest you'll find.

These Beretta guys are something else.....:sad20: :D

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Good to know PJDiesel, thanks!

Always interested in helping folks who actually want to break targets..... rather than shoot at some random upland birds once a year with an ill fitting Beretta. ;)

There are people who think Browning are the less universally fitting of the two.

I could shoot a factory Beretta O/U with about an additional full inch of drop at heel, no clue how people mount and shoot them out of the box. Women and children maybe,... not a grown up man.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Plenty of Brownings to check out somewhat locally, depends on where you are coming from.

Largest local (volume/selection) dealer used to be Millers up in New Castle. Luckily, word is they are on their last legs and soon to be out of business. There is a new shop just down the road from them now (next to Hooters). Brand new build, beautiful shop, decent amount of inventory and they don't treat you like a smacked dick if you are there to browse/ask questions.

Mollys also, great store but a little high on price. I buy most of my guns from Reeds Family Outdoors, cheapest you'll find.

These Beretta guys are something else.....:sad20: :D

Yes, yes we are............ exceptional. lol

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Always interested in helping folks who actually want to break targets..... rather than shoot at some random upland birds once a year with an ill fitting Beretta. ;)

There are people who think Browning are the less universally fitting of the two.

I could shoot a factory Beretta O/U with about an additional full inch of drop at heel, no clue how people mount and shoot them out of the box. Women and children maybe,... not a grown up man.

Hey now, not all of us have "grown up man" bodies. lol

The Beretta actually fits me better than the Browning. The Browning has a shorter LOP. My Beretta semis fit just fine with a D shim, or is the D shim for Benelli and the 65 shim for Beretta. Cannot even remember.

My issue is with the Browning Citori Lightning not coming with chrome lined barrels when the Beretta, for $100 more, came with chrome lined barrels. We can get into the galling issue on the Browning too. Browning's crappy customer service versus Beretta replacing a 682 Gold E because the plating was flaking off the receiver and replacing the stock on a 391 with a nicer wood because the finish came off the original stock.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Beretta actually fits me better than the Browning. The Browning has a shorter LOP.

We have discussed this before.

When the 325 was new, Brownings had long LOP than Berrettas.

A stock Browning 325 fits me fine. Add a bit more cast off and it is perfect.

My buddy, fit a stock Beretta like it was custom made for him.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    This!

IMHO
    2 things:
    1.Try a Beretta and a Browning. They fit differently and chances are if one fits the other won't. Make sure you get an adjustable comb.
    2. Consider 32" barrels. When you try to sell (and you will in a year or so when you see a Guerini you like), 32" barrels will sell faster and command a slight premium over 30" ones.

Hard to go wrong with a Silver Pigeon or a 725 (although if you intend to tube it for skeet, the 725 may have trigger issues.)

I went with a CXS after trying the Beretta SP1 at at skeet range. CXS fits me very nicely right off the "rack". :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom