• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Ive seen the Rem 700 SPS with 24 inch bull barrel .308 at the local gun store for around $600 is this going to be a good deal for a LR platform base?

thanks,

Zach

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Very nice! How's old Jim doing? I used to shoot there 2-3x a week when I was teaching (if they still have the pics in the trailer, I'm the guy in the orange T shirt shooting the PSS prone off an ALICE pack). Tell him Rich (the trumpet player from the Army band) said "Hi".

I haven't seen Jim in a few years(maybe longer). I'm not sure if he's still around but I know he fell ill awhile back. I'm not even sure if they still have all thos epics up in the new trailer but there was one or two of me up there with my Tikka and the VLS. We sure had alot of fun on those summer evenings shooting 200 yrds.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i feel like a tool saying this, but...

i finally shot a remmy 700 for the first time.

it was my friends left hand 300 ultra mag (didn't hurt me much just gave a stern push and hit my hat LOL)

i must say, remmy 700's are fine rifles even when stock and they have some real decent triggers on them. no better than my pre 64 model 70 though but maybe a touch better than my browning... i see one or maybe more of these rifles in my hands in the future.

i also see why so many precision shooters prefer the action over anything else to build off of.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    i feel like a tool saying this, but...

i finally shot a remmy 700 for the first time.

it was my friends left hand 300 ultra mag (didn't hurt me much just gave a stern push and hit my hat LOL)

i must say, remmy 700's are fine rifles even when stock and they have some real decent triggers on them. no better than my pre 64 model 70 though but maybe a touch better than my browning... i see one or maybe more of these rifles in my hands in the future.

i also see why so many precision shooters prefer the action over anything else to build off of.

Other than my pre-Berretta Tikka I prefer the 700 action to any other I've shot. The out of the box accuracy is also very impressive.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    showimage.php
    [/url][/IMG]

My small contribution:

- Savage 110FP in .308 (former police gun, was tuned up by the contract armorer for the department; bought it from him off GunsAmerica when the department traded it in)
    - older model w/no Accutrigger
    - replaced the factory stock with the Brownells-branded unfinished stock made by Lock, Stock & Barrel, a rough clone of the McMillan General Purpose Hunting stock (supposed to be made the same way), painted with Brownell's drab brown spray paint
    - Scope is Super Sniper 10x
    - Rings are Tactical Precision Systems HRT
    - Ken Farrell base
    - Sharp Shooter Supply "tactical" bolt knob
    - biothane M1907 sling from Ebay (copy of the Turner AWS), black but lightly dusted with Brownells' drab brown
    - Eagle Industries stock pack/cheek pad

Shoots great, prefers Black Hills match 168gr. Farthest I've shot is 300yds at Ft. Meade. Somehow, I managed to keep them within 3" at that distance. At 100yds, shoots basically one cloverleaf.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    optics

So: I bought my son a 5R for christmas. What would be a good scope option for it? Looking to do longe range target and going hunting out west with it.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    So: I bought my son a 5R for christmas. What would be a good scope option for it? Looking to do longe range target and going hunting out west with it.

What's your budget? Whatever you do, DON'T "skimp" on optics. Remember if you can't see it, you can't hit it. Don't be put off by the fact that it is very common to pay more for the optic than the rifle. I would start with Leupold and go "up" from there.

For long range, I'd go with a 30mm tube and a badger base with MOA built in.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    That's a very nice scope boothdoc, but I'd suggest considering a variable in the same approximate magnification range.

I like a 4.5-14x in the same Mk4 series, since it will dial down to let you get on quickly and easily at closer ranges, but still offers sufficient magnification at longer ranges for reasonable precision. There is also the Mk4 6.5-20x, which offers pretty much the same advantages and a higher top magnification.

The drawback to the higher magnification scopes is often finding the target in a relatively small field of view. This can be quite frustrating for shooters that are not highly skilled with a high magnification scope and/or of stock fit is not perfect. I have my daughter running a 4.5-14x and she often dials down to find targets in a cluttered background and/or to shoot movers or closer targets.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Well- Ed how about this?
    Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 Long Range Tactical Rifle Scope

Attachments

• opticsplanet_2035_208435272.jpg
      opticsplanet_2035_208435272.jpg
      9.3 KB · Views: 954

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Just keep in mind, that depending on the target (bullseye vs. steel silhouette) too much magnification isn't always better. Mirage can be a bitch. For the coin you're looking at, also consider US Optics, Nightforce, or S&B

Keep an eye out on SH for group buys on optics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom