• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    These 380's are become more popular...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/02/05/sw-bodyguard-380-pistol-and-38-revolver/

smith_and_wesson_bodyguard_380_pistol-tfb-tm.JPG

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    It looks nicer than the lcp. Just don't really like .380. Too many 9mm's out there to justify another kind of ammo in the safe. I would like to shoot one though

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Both are featured in the recent Guns & Ammo. Might still be on the store shelves.

I got a subscription for Christmas. I probably won't renew my subscription...way more decent info here with less BS to wade though.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The thing that bothered me about the Ruger LCP was no safety. I know the trigger is heavy but I still didn't like it. I wonder what the trigger pull is on this.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I've messed with the Bodyguard revolver a bunch. It's different than the crimson trace grips (not as intuitive) but still a cool feature. Also, since the laser is more in line with the sights it is more accurate at different ranges (less deflection from the bore line).

Although it's a new action and half polymer. I personally wouldn't trust my life on it until the early adopters have run it through the ringer and no serious issues surface.

Medic49

Jul 11, 2010
    Nice looking gun... Anyone seen them on the shelves anywhere?? Wish they'd offer a 9mm....

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I just got done shooting my new BG380 for the 1st time. Here are my thoughts.

Very easy gun to shoot! The laser actually allows me to work on my "instinctive" aiming. The laser is good to about 25 yards. After that you really have to zero it in for the distance you want.

I think the safety is over kill. With the DAO trigger and very long pull, I don't feel the need for it. The takedown lever is easy to use and the gun is very easy to disassemble and clean. Laser is very accurate and easy to service.

For the size of the gun and the way my hands set up on the grip, the trigger pull felt a little awkward, but it was very consistant.

Overall, I would recommend this gun, but as some said, there are plenty of compact and sub-compacts out there that are close in size and offer a more stable platform, in my opinion. Will I keep the gun? Probably. It's so compact, but still offers enough substance to be able to handle it adequately, but if I had to carry all the time, I would prefer something a little more substantial.

Thanks to Dan at Gun Connection for helping me out with this one!

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    how does it compare in size to the lcp, it looks bulkier

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    how does it compare in size to the lcp, it looks bulkier

I think it has a larger "footprint", but it is ultra thin and I like the way the laser area "fills out" the shape of it for pocket carry. It lets me keep it oriented well and it fits prefectly in the rear pocket. Did I mention it is very accurate?:innocent0

I'll post my first targets shortly.

5148783650_f9e8806eda_z.jpg

Bottom group it straight out of the box, shooting a little low with the laser.

Center group is after I adjusted the laser.

Top group is using the iron sights.

I was a little cold, being that I did not have a jacket and it was like a meat locker at H&M. Distance was about 10 yards(30ft).

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I shot a Kel Tec P-3AT the other day. I'd always assumed the gun would have punishing recoil but honestly it wasn't that bad... in fact I'd say it was bordering on pleasant. So now I'm looking at these .380 pocket pistols.

I wouldn't buy the kel tec which leaves me with the Ruger LCP or this S&W 380 and as nice as the Ruger is the sights are almost useless making a laser almost a necessity so the fact that the S&W has better sights and a built in laser is making me suddendly very interested in this little gun.

Phoenixsm

Aug 29, 2010
    I shot a Kel Tec P-3AT the other day. I'd always assumed the gun would have punishing recoil but honestly it wasn't that bad... in fact I'd say it was bordering on pleasant. So now I'm looking at these .380 pocket pistols.

I wouldn't buy the kel tec which leaves me with the Ruger LCP or this S&W 380 and as nice as the Ruger is the sights are almost useless making a laser almost a necessity so the fact that the S&W has better sights and a built in laser is making me suddendly very interested in this little gun.

I am sure this will help clear things up for you...

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3713.html

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

I have not fired the S&W 380 Bodyguard pistol at the range, but have tested the basic mechanics of the gun off-range. I thought it was harder to rack than some of the larger pistols. Maybe, there is less to hold onto. And, the slide stop and safety mechanisms seemed stiff. Safety was hard to push both directions. I had to use my fingernail to get the slide stop to go down. I'm hoping that with use that the slide, slide stop, and safety will loosen up somewhat. I know I'm getting older, but that was a workout.
    Has anybody shot theirs (the pistol, not revolver) enough to notice a difference?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    It will break in with use like any other gun. I like mine, even if I did pay $150 more than what they're selling for now. It's accurate, easy to shoot and nice and slim.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Both are featured in the recent Guns & Ammo. Might still be on the store shelves.

I got a subscription for Christmas. I probably won't renew my subscription...way more decent info here with less BS to wade though.

Really are you and I on the same forum?!? Yes i do help create that BS.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I got the Bodyguard 380 at Essex Gun Shop a few weeks ago for $371 which still is the best price I've seen. I've been researching the .380's for a couple of months and decided on the Bodyguard over the other. It feels good in the hands, had the easy slide to rack of all, quaility-wise was the best, and the sites were great. I consider the laser as just a bonus since these small pocket guns are '5 foot guns', designed for self-defense at up close and personal range so in only rare circumstances would I be using the laser.

Everything was tight at first, but has since loosened up a bit, so now takedown is very quick and easy. I agree the DAO trigger pull is long and takes some getting used to esp after shooting my Ruger GP100 revolver, but no big deal; recoil is very manageable, and so far it's taken every type of ammo I've fed it.

There have been some issue with the early SN's (EAA, EAB, EAC), that S&W has fixed, but my EAFxxxx has worked like a charm. The Bodyguard 380 is an outstanding pocketgun and now that I've sound some extra mags, couldn't be happier with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom