• Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Posted on his FB page. He's running in Dist. 12

It’s Time to Repeal and Replace the Second Amendment
    POSTED ON MARCH 20, 2018 BY JAMES HOWARD
    Today the American disease that is our national obsession with handguns spread to Leonardtown. I am saddened beyond words at today’s events at Great Mills High School and stand with the community at this time. But as saddened as I am about today’s events, I become strengthened in my resolve to rid Maryland of this disease, once and for all.

Our national handgun debate is too much about hot-button buzzwords and too little about action. On the right,”thoughts and prayers” have prevented absolutely zero handgun deaths. Ever. And on the left, calls for “common sense” legislation have fallen upon deaf ears of executives of both parties on the state and Federal level. How many more children must be slaughtered, how many more lives must be forever altered, before we have said “Enough!”?

Today, I say “Enough”. As your State Delegate, I will take the following steps to repeal and replace the Second Amendment in the State of Maryland:

I will sponsor legislation to ban all assault weapons in the State of Maryland;
    I will sponsor legislation to make possession, sale, or advertising any item that makes a non-automatic weapon an automatic weapon, or the alteration of a firearm to make it an automatic weapon– a criminal offense;
    I will sponsor legislation to make illegal any sale of a firearm that does not happen in a brick and mortar store. No gun shows. No online sales. No classified ads;
    I will sponsor legislation to make background checks, cross-referenced with every possible local, state, national, and international law enforcement agency, part of every firearm sale. This will necessitate the waiting period for a firearm to be extended to a longer time period. Such as 180 days;
    It is time to regulate the right to operate a firearm like the right to drive a motor vehicle. I will sponsor legislation to require the licensing of anyone in the State of Maryland who wishes to operate a firearm. There will be a training requirement which a prospective firearm user must pass. And there will be an evaluation by a licensed mental health provider that must be passed as well;
    I will sponsor legislation to ban contributions to the National Rifle Association or similar pro-handgun groups through charity programs such as the United Way, Combined Federal Campaign, etc. And if not possible through legislation, I will pressure these groups to end their support of these organizations; and
    I will work with the Attorney General on the possibility of a lawsuit, perhaps to be enjoined with other states, to seek damages from firearms manufacturers, much as what happened with the big tobacco companies a few decades ago.
    These will be my first steps. There will be others.

It is beyond time for Maryland’s leadership to realize and act upon the existential threat that handgun violence poses to our society. And if current leadership won’t get the job done, new leadership will.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Too many buzzwords.

You forgot you need a background check for the background check.

International law enforcement background check? Lol
    Every country's government on Earth must "Not disapprove" anyone in MD wanting to buy a firearm?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Posted on his FB page. He's running in Dist. 12

It’s Time to Repeal and Replace the Second Amendment
    POSTED ON MARCH 20, 2018 BY JAMES HOWARD
    Today the American disease that is our national obsession with handguns spread to Leonardtown. I am saddened beyond words at today’s events at Great Mills High School and stand with the community at this time. But as saddened as I am about today’s events, I become strengthened in my resolve to rid Maryland of this disease, once and for all.

Our national handgun debate is too much about hot-button buzzwords and too little about action. On the right,”thoughts and prayers” have prevented absolutely zero handgun deaths. Ever. And on the left, calls for “common sense” legislation have fallen upon deaf ears of executives of both parties on the state and Federal level. How many more children must be slaughtered, how many more lives must be forever altered, before we have said “Enough!”?

Today, I say “Enough”. As your State Delegate, I will take the following steps to repeal and replace the Second Amendment in the State of Maryland:

I will sponsor legislation to ban all assault weapons in the State of Maryland;
    I will sponsor legislation to make possession, sale, or advertising any item that makes a non-automatic weapon an automatic weapon, or the alteration of a firearm to make it an automatic weapon– a criminal offense;
    I will sponsor legislation to make illegal any sale of a firearm that does not happen in a brick and mortar store. No gun shows. No online sales. No classified ads;
    I will sponsor legislation to make background checks, cross-referenced with every possible local, state, national, and international law enforcement agency, part of every firearm sale. This will necessitate the waiting period for a firearm to be extended to a longer time period. Such as 180 days;
    It is time to regulate the right to operate a firearm like the right to drive a motor vehicle. I will sponsor legislation to require the licensing of anyone in the State of Maryland who wishes to operate a firearm. There will be a training requirement which a prospective firearm user must pass. And there will be an evaluation by a licensed mental health provider that must be passed as well;
    I will sponsor legislation to ban contributions to the National Rifle Association or similar pro-handgun groups through charity programs such as the United Way, Combined Federal Campaign, etc. And if not possible through legislation, I will pressure these groups to end their support of these organizations; and
    I will work with the Attorney General on the possibility of a lawsuit, perhaps to be enjoined with other states, to seek damages from firearms manufacturers, much as what happened with the big tobacco companies a few decades ago.
    These will be my first steps. There will be others.

It is beyond time for Maryland’s leadership to realize and act upon the existential threat that handgun violence poses to our society. And if current leadership won’t get the job done, new leadership will.

Conspiring to deprive individual of thier rights much?

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    the individual running against harris at the national level has also latched on to this as her 'big' effort...

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    the individual running against harris at the national level has also latched on to this as her 'big' effort...

Allison Galbraith is her name. She came across my path on FB where we had a conversation. At first she seemed to be willing to listen but stopped responding.

Her response to the idea of letting teachers carry; she said she could think of "a half dozen or more" reasons that was a bad idea, I asked her to list them.
    After I countered each, she went dark.

" Allison Galbraith Stephen Thomas

1) I once had a teacher get so pissed in the middle of class that he tossed a desk across a room. Last person I’d hand a gun to. Being a teacher doesn’t mean you should be armed.

2) Teachers get in the middle of physical fights every day. What happens when one of those students grabs a gun off of the teacher, since we’ve so kindly introduced them into the schools and now made them readily accessible?

3) my stepson, 16, TOWERS over me. Nothing is going to stop him from taking a gun from me unless I was willing to shoot him to stop it from happening. So now you’ve handed some kid a gun that they didn’t previously have or put a teacher in a position where they have to make a choice about whether to shoot a student.

4) the skills it takes to identify friend or foe in an active shooter scenario are simply not skills most teachers are equipped with, then they may not be able to shoot accurately in a scenario like that, etc - with the military it would be VERY highly trained people making decisions in those scenarios and they STILL make mistakes.

5) we have a hard enough time recruiting teachers and paying for our school budgets as it is. So instead of actually address the problem, we’re going to what, make them add a gun to their list of school supplies, and hope teacher recruitment doesn’t fall? How about we just give them a raise and smaller class sizes instead?

6) Active shooter scenario, a teacher shoots someone and first responders come in - who do you think they’re going to target? The teacher with the gun, that’s who.

Guns and kids only mix in incredibly controlled environments. Frankly as a parent I would not want my son in a school where teachers were armed, and he was entirely clear that he wouldn’t feel safer for that either.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Courtney Watson tried to run like this for county executive a few years ago and got trounced. 12 is more progressive than HoCo generally tho.

I think he's running for Lam's spot. the full list of candidates is here: http://elections.state.md.us/elections/2018/primary_candidates/gen_cand_lists_2018_1_01612.html

The other two incumbents are stooges of Mike and Mike and haven't had an independent thought since they were elected.

Broccolino is running?
    I'd think he'd be a shoe-in.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    From James Howard's website
    I volunteer for the Maryland Defense Force, a volunteer state agency that provides support to the Maryland National Guard and Maryland Emergency Management Agency in times of emergency. I believe strongly in the security of our state and nation from all threats, seen and unseen.
    :rolleyes:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    James Howard can self-fornicate.

Here is his Twitter

Attachments

• 2FD86659-6314-485A-B6E9-1D28C9A793A7.jpg
      2FD86659-6314-485A-B6E9-1D28C9A793A7.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 93