• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013
    License plate scanning by the police and contractors has been going on for years - nothing new here. How can you tell? If you see something like this

kcmo-plate-reader-cropped_large.jpg

then smile - you're on candid camera.

How long has it been going on? Remember the show Parking Wars?

What's really weird is to see them on an unmarked Sentra, front and back.:whoa:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Repo companies also use them. Had a repo guy telling me about this. Apparently they are even starting to network them in to master databases of cars up for repo.

As a guy who works for a manufacturer of the devices told me, the automated reader records information available to the naked eye so there is very little legal handle to limit the collection by private parties.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    So was that Sat incident involving the two token neo-Nazis from the gun show ?

If your talking about the incident I spoke of, Then no it was a Black man and woman with long Dread locks. And yes it was Saturday. I don't remember seeing any Neo Nazis there ???

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    if you dont want yours read, put a bikerack on the back of your car and pull in with your front plate blocked. my stepdad told me this is the way around having your plate read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I can't find anything in Maryland law that prohibits you from leaning a lawn chair against the back of your car, while it's parked at a gun show.

If enough people did it, it might send a message.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By no means saw whole crowd, but did see the two neo Nazis walking together looking around.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I have no problem with license plate readers as it's my understanding that they 'call in a plate number' just like a live cop would, only much faster.

My problem is that they are targeting gun owners, and not visitors to a flower show, fire hall bingo event or Longaberger Basket extravaganza.

I am still 100% opposed to red light and speed cameras.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    What's really weird is to see them on an unmarked Sentra, front and back.:whoa:

Chances are if its on a Sentra it's owned by a bank, insurance company, or towing a recovery company. All three of them utilize this technology as well. The Police have rules on the reads and storage. DC we can only hold non hot list reads (non felony vehicles) for 90 days. I have no idea on the regulations for the private sector. My guess is they can freely utilize and sell whatever information they gather.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I have no problem with license plate readers as it's my understanding that they 'call in a plate number' just like a live cop would, only much faster.
    Except they are "calling in" every single plate they see without any cause or suspicion, and filing-away every time and location they spot you for an indefinite period of time with few limits on who can use the data and how it can be used. That is wrong.

Pervasive surveillance is a tool of tyranny and the enemy of freedom.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    A little chocolate syrup or honey over those camera lenses and a quart of cat piss poured down the air intakes under the wipers should get the LEOs f.... attention. Obey the laws, but keep em on their toes!

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A little chocolate syrup or honey over those camera lenses and a quart of cat piss poured down the air intakes under the wipers should get the LEOs f.... attention. Obey the laws, but keep em on their toes!

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

That's the exact opposite of obeying the laws......but what do I know.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Except they are "calling in" every single plate they see without any cause or suspicion, and filing-away every time and location they spot you for an indefinite period of time with few limits on who can use the data and how it can be used. That is wrong.

Pervasive surveillance is a tool of tyranny and the enemy of freedom.

That's also not true. Ours is 90 days and the only people who can use the data is our LEOs. See post 34......the private industry with this technology should scare you.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    That's also not true. Ours is 90 days and the only people who can use the data is our LEOs. See post 34......the private industry with this technology should scare you.

It's not true that every plate seen is "called in" without cause or suspicion? Yes, it is true.

Kudos for having data use and retention policies. Many agencies don't.
    But having policies for data that shouldn't be collected in the first place is window dressing.

The private industry technology does scare me. But it also has no bearing on police collecting data they shouldn't be collecting. "They're doing it too" is not justification.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    It's not true that every plate seen is "called in" without cause or suspicion? Yes, it is true.

Kudos for having data use and retention policies. Many agencies don't.
    But having policies for data that shouldn't be collected in the first place is window dressing.

So it's not called in like one would imagine. It doesn't show the operating officer any info other then a plate number......which is public anyway. It really only gets called in if the plate is on the hot list. Examples of the hot list are Amber list, felony vehicles, illegal immigrants, stuff like that depending on settings. If it hits then that plate is called in to check if the status is valid.

Most places to my knowledge (LEO Agencies) DO have data restrictions plus it's just to expensive to store it for centuries.

Seriously in the hands of cops it's a pretty effective tool that has restrictions. As I previously said it's the private sector that's just plain scary for what they can do with their data.

Also, and not to be rude, your a little out of date on the PC or RAS as far as running a plate. None of those is needed and courts have routinely stated running plates at random is not a 4A violation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom