Do you purposefully buy .223 or 5.56 for AR? Whatever is cheapest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you buy .223 or 5.56 for your AR?

Votes: 10 11.4%

Votes: 24 27.3%
    • Whatever is cheapest

Votes: 54 61.4%

• Total voters

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Depending on what you want the ammo for, you might not have a choice between one caliber or the other. Cheaper ammo that's not good for the intended application is never a bargain.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Not at all. There's plinking ammo and then there's shooting ammo. Every one of my ARs has a preferred ammo(that i have loaded) and then I have plinking ammo for all of them too.

That's why I love the Magpul pistol grips with the cap on the end.

Zero the rifle, tear off the end of the ammo box, stick it the grip, and you have a record of what the rifle likes.

Or write the reloading info down on paper and stick it in the grip.

StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    I haven't bought either in a long time. Do to the corruption of other Hooligans that will remain nameless I only shoot what I reload. I try to reload 2 or 3 rounds for each round I shoot resulting in a pretty good reserve. Same goes for pistol calibers and 7.62x54r

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Purchase 5.56. Shoot both but something if I try to be accurate with it then I use what I sighted it in with. Blasting, cheapest .223 or 5.56 I can find.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't buy ammo. I found a good recipe using Benchmark for 5.56 with 55gr FMJs so that's what I load. After I get another 1500 done I'm buying 1000 77gr SMKs and 69gr SMKs and use those for competitions. I think I have about 5000 rounds of .223 loaded up now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not all 5.56 marked barrels are really 5.56. .223 is a safer bet to buy and use unless you know the actual throat.

M-Guns had a gauge to check the throat. Its not expensive.

If you shoot 5.56 in a barrel that has a .223 throat it may pop primers and te increased chamber pressure may lead to extraction issues.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I'm aware of what .223 Wylde is, but it is a modified chamber not a type of ammo. There is no such thing as .223 Wylde ammo that I'm aware, it just lets you shoot .223 and 5.56 more accurately.

Yes I know, the question was do I buy Whyde ammo there is no such ting that I know of. I was explaining the advantages of the Whyde chamber that it can shoot both. I don't understand did I miss something. The Chambering is hard to find but you can find it. Therein the 3rd choice would be both.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Not all 5.56 marked barrels are really 5.56. .223 is a safer bet to buy and use unless you know the actual throat.

If you shoot 5.56 in a barrel that has a .223 throat it may pop primers and te increased chamber pressure may lead to extraction issues.

This. Maybe I don't explain myself well. but then I just returned from Hopkins after 8 days of heart failure and Kidney damage. I might have piss buildup in my brain.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Yes I know, the question was do I buy Whyde ammo. I was explaining the advantages of the Whyde chamber that it can shoot both. I don't understand did I miss something. The Chambering is hard to find but you can find it.

The thread is about which ammo do you buy to shoot in your AR-15. There are two choices, .223 or 5.56. Sounds like you misunderstood the thread title (I see how it could be confusing, should have put the word ammunition in it), and thought I was asking what you get your ARs chambered in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

This is so true. A lesson we all have learned in SOTAR. That fancy high dollar 5.56 barrel you bought isn't necessarily a 5.56 chamber with a 5.56 leade you were expecting.

I have never shot steel cases, and barring a war, I never will because I reload all my brass.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I haven't bought either in a long time. Do to the corruption of other Hooligans that will remain nameless I only shoot what I reload. I try to reload 2 or 3 rounds for each round I shoot resulting in a pretty good reserve. Same goes for pistol calibers and 7.62x54r

Keep an eye on your brass. There are rumored to be banditos in your immediate area.

.223 for me, brass cased for what factory I buy. Price, usable in .556, and reloadable.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    The thread is about which ammo do you buy to shoot in your AR-15. There are two choices, .223 or 5.56. Sounds like you misunderstood the thread title (I see how it could be confusing, should have put the word ammunition in it), and thought I was asking what you get your ARs chambered in.

Thanks for the understanding. Then I woul get whatever is cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom