Does SBR need barrel <16" to be MD legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I'd like an FAL or G3 that would be MD legal but not big fan of short barrel .308s. If you have an approved Form 1 does the barrel actually have to be installed to count as an SBR in MD?

Maybe I'll just have to do 15.9".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would say yes. As according to BATFE is you have an SBR and put a 16" or longer barrel on it, it is not longer an SBR.

No Form 20 for going out of state once you put 16" or longer on it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is probably about the dumbest thread I have ever read.

That is a reflection on the MD laws, not the OP or any other poster. I want a particular gun, so I'm going to have to have the barrel cut to 15.9" so it will be an NFA item. Meanwhile asshats like Frosh sit smugly in Annapolis believing the crap the spew.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD

That is a reflection on the MD laws, not the OP or any other poster. I want a particular gun, so I'm going to have to have the barrel cut to 15.9" so it will be an NFA item. Meanwhile asshats like Frosh sit smugly in Annapolis believing the crap the spew.

Exactly. It is a crying shame that this should even be considered. I have often wondered the same question as the OP.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd like an FAL or G3 that would be MD legal but not big fan of short barrel .308s. If you have an approved Form 1 does the barrel actually have to be installed to count as an SBR in MD?

I would do that.^^^

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In America , an SBR involves bbl less than 16in OR oal less than 26in. So you could make an SBR with an over 16in bbl.

But in Md , at least for centerfire semiauto, you have the 29in minimum, leaving less than 16in bbl as only route.

Note that 15.9 is less than 16 .

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm out of state so I can buy whatever I want handgun wise, roster isn't a problem. But for now I try to get guns that I could move back with if I ever wanted to.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD

When in MD, if the barrel is 16" or greater, then you would simply be in possession of a banned assault long gun that you did not lawfully possess prior to October 1, 2013.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    When in MD, if the barrel is 16" or greater, then you would simply be in possession of a banned assault long gun that you did not lawfully possess prior to October 1, 2013.

Is it that cut and dry. I remember pre 2013, if you bought a regulated AR-15, you couldn't just slap an HBAR upper on it and sell it as cash and carry because it was already in the MSP system, which overrode the HBAR configuration.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Is it that cut and dry. I remember pre 2013, if you bought a regulated AR-15, you couldn't just slap an HBAR upper on it and sell it as cash and carry because it was already in the MSP system, which overrode the HBAR configuration.

In this instance, once you put a barrel 16" or greater on a registered SBR, it ceases to be a SBR. In most of the rest of the country, that's not an issue. In MD, the FSA 2013 explicitly banned a list of enumerated weapons- and made it illegal to possess those weapons in the state of MD; the only exemption to this is if the weapon was lawfully owned prior to OCT 1 2013.

If a Georgia resident purchased a FAL in September 2013 and a G3 in November of 2013, then moved to MD, the FAL could be brought to MD, while the G3 could not. The owner would be required to "voluntarily register" the firearms with MSP within 30 days of moving into the state. (It may be 60 or 90 days, I'd have to check COMAR)

Changing a SBR into a banned long gun, while in MD, would constitute a violation- punishable by a term that would render one prihibited from possessing firearms, upon conviction.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    In this instance, once you put a barrel 16" or greater on a registered SBR, it ceases to be a SBR. In most of the rest of the country, that's not an issue. In MD, the FSA 2013 explicitly banned a list of enumerated weapons- and made it illegal to possess those weapons in the state of MD; the only exemption to this is if the weapon was lawfully owned prior to OCT 1 2013.

If a Georgia resident purchased a FAL in September 2013 and a G3 in November of 2013, then moved to MD, the FAL could be brought to MD, while the G3 could not. The owner would be required to "voluntarily register" the firearms with MSP within 30 days of moving into the state. (It may be 60 or 90 days, I'd have to check COMAR)

Changing a SBR into a banned long gun, while in MD, would constitute a violation- punishable by a term that would render one prihibited from possessing firearms, upon conviction.

Can you sell a lower that has been SBRed with an HBAR 16" barrel cash and carry to someone else or does it have to be removed from the registry first? I know there is process to remove it from the registry, but if the lower is still in the registry is it legal to sell with a barrel over 16"? That would be the true test of whether a firearm with a barrel over 16" is an SBR, or whether it truly ceases to exist as an NFA item once the long barrel goes on it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

As long as it is at least 29" long.

So an SBR Steyr AUG or TAVOR will still not work.

REALLY wished I did a purchase order for an AUG before 10/1/13. :(

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Because according to BATFE if you put a 16" or longer barrel on an SBR, it is NOT an SBR.

So then it would be a banned assault weapon in the eyes of MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    he owner would be required to "voluntarily register" the firearms with MSP within 30 days of moving into the state. (It may be 60 or 90 days, I'd have to check COMAR)

Within 90 days of establishing residency. Which is not necessarily the same as when you move here.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Because according to BATFE if you put a 16" or longer barrel on an SBR, it is NOT an SBR.

So then it would be a banned assault weapon in the eyes of MD.

Can you sell an SBR receiver with a 16" as a Title 1 weapon even if it is registered as an SBR? That is a better test than whether you can bring it across state lines in a non regulated configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom