• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keymod vs M-LOK

• Total voters

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I tried searching for a thread or poll on this and found nothing, so figured I would create one. So which do you guys prefer? It'd be nice to eventually get an established standard like the 1913 rail system that everyone uses. Both seem to be lightweight comfortable hand guards. I only have experience with keymod myself.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I feel less pretentious using M-Lok, haha. I currently have nothing installed though. The holes just help with cooling. I'm going to need to add some covers or a vertical grip so I don't burn my hands.

The idea with M-Lok I that it's supposed to be open source and cheaper to machine. Keymod requires that bevel on the inside.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    The benefit of cost over actual real practical use leads me to vote neither. Going out and spending hundreds of dollars changing out parts and accessories vs the actual gain in performance makes no sense to me. Even if I had the money Ibwould just buy another gun or ammo. These companies did a extraordinary job in convincing the black rifle crowd they need this new rail and attachment systems.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Key mod vs. M-lock I don't know. Tossup to me. the only reason I go with those is to cut weight and streamline a rifle with the option of later adding something I might need. If I have a rifle that I want dressed for a combat type role(all the bells and whistles), I'd prefer 1913 rails all around for maximum versatility.

So, I guess it depends on the rifle's intended use.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Key mod vs. M-lock I don't know. Tossup to me. the only reason I go with those is to cut weight and streamline a rifle with the option of later adding something I might need. If I have a rifle that I want dressed for a combat type role(all the bells and whistles), I'd prefer 1913 rails all around for maximum versatility.

Well said. I have no experience with the MLok, but I love my KMR rail which was bought to be light. It only has a WML out by the end of the 15 inch hand guard. I love the handguard but am pretty indifferent towards Keymod.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Every time I see a poll about this (other sites) everyone seems to say M-LOK. I rarely see M-LOK hand guards when I do searches for some reason. I can always find Keymod hand guards.

I prefer Keymod as it seems to hold better than M-LOK. Keymod also allows for better clearance. From what I understand Magpul created M-LOK because keymod doesn't work well with plastic.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    I voted keymod only because that's the type on 4 of my rifles (KMRs and NSRs). MLOK wasn't out when I started building so Keymod it was and I wanted to stay consistent.

Immersion

You have that power too
    Oct 10, 2013
    Libtardistan
    In terms of versatility/functionality, edge goes to the M-LOK imo. However, it generally seems like keymod rails are lighter. So you have to ask yourself, would you rather have versatility/functionality or save the weight? Honestly can't go wrong either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom