• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My propane furnace is on the fritz. Error code being thrown is ignition problem. Glow plug is lighting up and getting warm but no ignition. I'm not smelling any gas either. Propane stove and dryer are working. Makes me think the regulator in the furnace is busted.

Anyone want this business to fix it or tell me what's wrong? I'd rather hire an MDS'er than someone unknown from the yellow pages. Send me a PM please if you or can recommend someone.

Thanks in advance.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    Can you remove and clean the flame sensor? Usually just scratch it clean with a small knife or even steel wool. I had that happen one time, and a 30 second fix was all it took.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    He is not getting a flame, so no point of cleaning the flame sensor...

Check your gas supply, make sure you don't have a shut off valve turned off, or the switch on the gas valve turned off.

jonathanglock

Oct 8, 2011
    Smithsburg, MD
    Could be the glow plug itself, I had a bad one in an oven once. Even though it glowed, it was bad because the amps flowing through it wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Make sure you have gas to the furnace and then see if you have voltage to the gas valve when the ignitor is lit. The valve may be stuck and sometimes a light tap with a screwdriver handle can shake it loose.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    He is not getting a flame, so no point of cleaning the flame sensor...

Check your gas supply, make sure you don't have a shut off valve turned off, or the switch on the gas valve turned off.

:thumbsup: This

Since you are getting all the way through the start up sequence and fails at the valve opening (Initial gas entry) your possibilities are:

1) No gas to valve. (or valve shut off)
    2) Bad control board
    3) Defective wiring
    4) Bad gas valve
    5) on some systems; open thermal Safety

Could be the glow plug itself, I had a bad one in an oven once. Even though it glowed, it was bad because the amps flowing through it wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be.

Unless it's a fairly new (1-2 year old high end unit), the ignition system is going to be based on time, not amperage. You may be thinking about an oven safety valve setup which uses the amperage from the igniter to cause the valve plate to heat up and warp, causing the valve to open.

Last edited:

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    igniter has to get the sensor hot enough before the sensor opens the gas valve. if the sensor is dirty, it won't sense the igniter heat.

I used to clean mine with a tooth brush, usually after it sat all summer

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    igniter has to get the sensor hot enough before the sensor opens the gas valve. if the sensor is dirty, it won't sense the igniter heat.

I used to clean mine with a tooth brush, usually after it sat all summer

The ignitor lights and the gas comes on. If the sensor doesn't sense a flame the gas goes off. If the burner would light and go out the sensor may be dirty.

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    If you have a automatic damper, make sure that it is opening. Mine was stuck closed and the burners would not turn on because of it. I did some research and this is a common problem.

I opened it by hand but it just kept open and closing by itself. I found a switch on the motor that keeps the damper open and it works now.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Repair guy just left. Turns out the flameout sensor had tripped. He reset it and let it ignite and told me to stand back. Flame came out towards us, tripped the sensor then it went off again. He said you have a hole inside the furnace causing air to come up through the part where the flame goes down.

Hopefully it is still under warranty, only 12 years old. If it is then $2-300 in labor and parts. If it's not then he said I'm looking at $1-2k for a replacement.

I ended up going with Naylor Plumbing. I forgot that I had used them for our water system repair last year.

Thanks again everyone for advice.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Repair guy just left. Turns out the flameout sensor had tripped. He reset it and let it ignite and told me to stand back. Flame came out towards us, tripped the sensor then it went off again. He said you have a hole inside the furnace causing air to come up through the part where the flame goes down.

Hopefully it is still under warranty, only 12 years old. If it is then $2-300 in labor and parts. If it's not then he said I'm looking at $1-2k for a replacement.

I ended up going with Naylor Plumbing. I forgot that I had used them for our water system repair last year.

Heat Exchanger Failure? If so, that is a FANTASTIC price for the work that goes into replacing one. :thumbsup:

Good to find out now before it gets really cold.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD

Get a second opinion.

It's called s rollout switch or aux limit switch, not a flame sensor.

Failures in heat exchangers are verified with high resolution cameras, not symptoms. At that point in time when the flames first light, the blower should not be running, as there is a blower on delay.

Also, the price to replace a heat exchanger is much higher, even when it's under a parts warranty.

Get a second opinion, most reputable companies will offer a free second opinion or other offer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Get a second opinion.

Failures in heat exchangers are verified with high resolution cameras, not symptoms. At that point in time when the flames first light, the blower should not be running, as there is a blower on delay.

Also, the price to replace a heat exchanger is much higher, even when it's under a parts warranty.

Get a second opinion, most reputable companies will offer a free second opinion or other offer.

What he said.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Get a second opinion.

He said there was no replacement of the heater exchange, just the whole unit.

He said the cause is me not maintaining it properly.

He did not verify with a camera.

And yes, it lit then the blower came on then the flame shot out towards us.

He was here 10 minutes and charged me $75--I am choose the wrong career.

The 2-300 to fix is if the whole unit is still under warranty. I'll get a new one that way. He said 2 hours of labor + 100 or so in parts.

I asked him if the heat exchange can be replaced he said no. Seems kinda wrong to me if the rest of the machine, electronics and all, is in good working order. But again, if it only costs me $300 to get a new furnace I am in.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Carroll County requires a gas permit to replace a gas furnace. Its $50.00.

I don't know Naylor from Adam but I know what it costs to run an HVAC business and the prices he is giving you are too good to be true. Either you are going to get a surprise at the end with a bill for extra work or you are going to get a substandard installation.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    I just went through this with a NG furnace. Symptoms were the same, flame coming out of the front of the unit tripping the rollout switch. The heat exchanger was under warranty, so I got both the primary and secondary at no cost. I helped the tech do the work, and it is a pain in the butt to change the heat exchangers. Everything comes apart. In my case, because of the way the sheet metal was done, we even had to take the AC out. It's a long, tedious job. If you can get it replaced for a couple hundred bucks, you are doing extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom