• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keymod vs M-LOK

• Total voters

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I went MLok because its a Magpul design. Magpul is arguably the largest manufacturer of aftermarket AR parts. Their design ensures that MLok will continue because they effectively control the market. Additionally, there are too many variances in keymod because there is no standard. MLok is the way to go.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have experience with both and with Samson mfg rails, which do not use a real quick attach/detach system. I also dealt with quad rails on my M4 when I served. I think Keymod and MLOK are both way better than quad or no QA/QD system at all, but I give a slight advantage to MLOK. Here is why

1.) MLOK is the Magpul standard. The support and backing of Magpul means MLOK is not going to get brushed aside everytime someone else comes with up with a new system.

2.) That support provides the stability needed by other manufacturers to innovate. The nicest example of this I've seen so far is the KDG Kinect toolless mounting system. While I don't have any particular need to rapidly add and remove accessories or even reconfigure their positions on the fly, I certainly would have appreciated the option when I was still serving. QD levers for picatinny rails mostly do the same thing, but I'm never going to poo poo something that allows users to save weight and quickly customize a weapon.

3.) My understanding is that MLOK cutouts are easier to machine than KMOD, so there is a slight cost savings in machine and QC time. I could be incorrect as I have no real metalworking background, so feel free to correct me if my understanding is poor.

4.) The design is also strong enough to work okay on polymer furniture, which eliminates the need for a separate system for that.

Those are what I see as the pros to MLOK. The major con for me is that Bravo Company is the major proponent of Keymod, so I don't see them adopting MLOK. Bravo Company makes some really great products (I like their buttstock and ar15 mod1 grip quite a lot), so I miss out on some great products if I stick to MLOK only. BCM's rails in particular seem to be very nice.

So there you go. The bottom line is that both do what they are supposed to do and are way easier and/or lighter than other systems.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Based on prior discussions here, I take it that if one selects Keymod, then they will not be able to use any Magpul products without an adapter, which only adds to weight. I'd be restricted to co.'s like BDM and VLTOR. Do I have it right?

Note: I'm already aware that plastic doesn't do too well on Keymod, that's one reason Magpul went with M-Lok.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Transformer rail neat if you're doing your own build. Just for example, if you buy a complete upper from PSA, the rail is already installed - usually keymod or m-lok. You're paying for the rail as part of PSA's price for the upper. If you want the Transformer rail, then you's have purchase it, then remove the existing keymod or m-lok. I guess the answer would be for PSA to sell their uppers with this new remedy of a rail, if embraced by the public.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I chose MLOK because I'm fond of Magpul products, so it just made sense.

Keymod.
    I'm not a fan of magpul products. I don't like the feel of plastic parts. For example I much prefer fortis shift for a vert front grip over magpul plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom