Shot a Bow for the first time and liked it...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    A question along the lines of the costs associated: Are the new bows/new bow technology worth the additional costs compared to buying a used bow? I feel like those bows were still killing deer years ago just fine. Is there a limit on how old of a bow you'd pick up if it was in good condition and all things being equal (both compound single cams for example)?
    Some experienced bow hunters actually regress in their choice of bows and become more 'primitive'. They seek out old recurve bows built decades ago and practice 'instinctual' aiming. If it were me, I'd buy a used crossbow instead of a compound. Bow snobs get caught up on names like TenPoint, Parker, Excaliber, and others. A Horton or other well known bow will send the arrow down field just as fast and accurately.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A question along the lines of the costs associated: Are the new bows/new bow technology worth the additional costs compared to buying a used bow? I feel like those bows were still killing deer years ago just fine. Is there a limit on how old of a bow you'd pick up if it was in good condition and all things being equal (both compound single cams for example)?

Definitely but, if you're gonna lay down big bucks on a bow, make sure you shoot(at a pro shop) as many brands you can so you can find the best fit for you.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv

The new bows are mind blowing compared to the bows of 8 years ago. I just got back into archery this summer after almost a 10 year hiatus and couldn't believe how well the new bows shot when I went shopping. The new bows are more compact , lighter, faster and smoother. You also have to consider the lifetime warranty you will get on a new bow.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The price of new bows with the ready to hunt packages are hard to beat at under $400.

Unless you want a high dollar bow.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    not much to add,
    The start up of getting into bow hunting is comparable to rifle hunting IMO. but once you get set up all you really need is to maintain your stock of arrows/broadheads, and keep your string in good condition. Im going on 4yrs on the same string. Just keeping it waxed properly helps immensely.

Bow hunting is challenging dont underestimate that. But its far better "rush" than rifle hunting IMO. Theres nothing like shooting your first deer with a bow or every deer. A well placed shot a deer wont run much past 40yds. I shot one last year that dropped in her tracks...only because I hit her spine. I quickly dispatched her with my knife. Be ready to do that.

MD has a long season where you can learn from your mistakes the first year and gives you plenty of opportunity to get deer if you have the time to dedicate to it. Depending where you are you could fill your freezer in a short period of time. If you have a mentor that is helpful but not necessary. Theres a lot of threads on this forum about hunting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    not much to add,
    The start up of getting into bow hunting is comparable to rifle hunting IMO. but once you get set up all you really need is to maintain your stock of arrows/broadheads, and keep your string in good condition. Im going on 4yrs on the same string. Just keeping it waxed properly helps immensely.

Bow hunting is challenging dont underestimate that. But its far better "rush" than rifle hunting IMO. Theres nothing like shooting your first deer with a bow or every deer. A well placed shot a deer wont run much past 40yds. I shot one last year that dropped in her tracks...only because I hit her spine. I quickly dispatched her with my knife. Be ready to do that.

MD has a long season where you can learn from your mistakes the first year and gives you plenty of opportunity to get deer if you have the time to dedicate to it. Depending where you are you could fill your freezer in a short period of time. If you have a mentor that is helpful but not necessary. Theres a lot of threads on this forum about hunting.

Every time I think I've made every mistake in the book and learned from them, God gives me another lesson.:lol2: The learning never ends.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Every time I think I've made every mistake in the book and learned from them, God gives me another lesson.:lol2: The learning never ends.

:lol2:yup...this season was a humbling experience...I missed a doe with my bow:o got a to see a world class buck(at least for me)Thanksgiving and I didnt bring my rifle:sad20: to name a couple things LOL maybe there should be a thread on that...

What I learned from hunting this season..

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    If you like archery, longbows and recurves in the "traditional" style is a lot of fun and a real challenge. It is easy to work on the bows, replacing strings, and then there is making arrows. I have to get into cedar arrows. I need to set up my 3d range in the back yard and get ready with my new longbow. Don't even talk about crossbows, that is not really archery when you use a trigger for release.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :lol2:yup...this season was a humbling experience...I missed a doe with my bow:o got a to see a world class buck(at least for me)Thanksgiving and I didnt bring my rifle:sad20: to name a couple things LOL maybe there should be a thread on that...

What I learned from hunting this season..

Or a forum!:lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Instead of comparing to rifle hunting, the better comparison is iron sighted revolver hunting.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    1) Bow season in Md. goes from early September to January 31 ie: long season.
    2) You can shoot in your back yard

Wait, is this to say that the only time you can shoot a bow in your back yard is Sept-Jan? Or, are you saying that you can always shoot a bow in your back yard?

I only ask because I just got the whole family into archery (they love it) and we are now shooting in our back yard almost daily.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wait, is this to say that the only time you can shoot a bow in your back yard is Sept-Jan? Or, are you saying that you can always shoot a bow in your back yard?

I only ask because I just got the whole family into archery (they love it) and we are now shooting in our back yard almost daily.

As long as local ordinance allows, year round. In recent years here in MoCo and maybe Md. as a whole, you are required to have a 8'x8' arrow stopping backstop. AFAIK, that doesn't mean the target its self. Not sure of any changes to that law.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    ... you are required to have a 8'x8' arrow stopping backstop.

Check.

We call that an old cedar shingle garage. Sometime the back stop gets hit. Fortunately cedar shingles are very forgiving. There is enough stand off that the arrows are pretty much out of gas by the time they hit the back stop.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Check.

We call that an old cedar shingle garage. Sometime the back stop gets hit. Fortunately cedar shingles are very forgiving. There is enough stand off that the arrows are pretty much out of gas by the time they hit the back stop.
    I shoot pretty much year round and at my house. Yes.. AT my house. I can honestly say that I've not ever hit it, but a friend that I was teaching has two holes in the cedar to his credit.. lol

Again, the arrows barely penetrated, as it's pretty far behind the target, but it proved to be a failsafe in those two instances.. I live in a development, stray arrows are real bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom