• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I'm having trouble finding an authoritative source on if someone with a CCW permit for the host state can carry in a National Park.

Can someone *cough* Novus *cough* please find it for me?

I thought it didn't take effect until next year, is that true?

Also, I found some news items regarding a federal judge halting this practice. Does that still pertain.

Thanks in advance.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    National Parks Gun Law Takes Effect in February

A new law permitting concealed loaded firearms at National Parks will not take effect until February and the Interior Department will continue to enforce Reagan-era restrictions until then, a spokeswoman said today.

"Under the current regulation, firearms are generally prohibited, but citizens may transport unloaded and dismantled or cased firearms and carry firearms while participating in approved hunting programs and under certain other circumstances," Interior spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said in a statement released minutes after President Obama signed the credit card holders' bill of rights, which includes an amendment allowing firearms at the nation's National Parks and wildlife refuges.
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2009/05/national_parks_gun_law_take_ef.html

The restraining order was about the rule change prior to the law. The new law made all that moot (the rule change and the restraining order).

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Has the new law taken effect yet? I thought that it was connected to the credit card bill, which doesn't take effect until next Feb I believe.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    Ruh-roh, I thought it was in effect already, per the Department of the Interior:

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final Rule.pdf

Specifically:

Title 36 - Parks, Forests, and Public Property

Chapter 1 - National Park Service, DOI

Part 2 - Resource Protection, Public Use, and Recreation

2.4 Weapons traps and nets. (new paragraph (h))

(h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law."

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ruh-roh, I thought it was in effect already, per the Department of the Interior:

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/120508.html

http://www.doi.gov/issues/Final Rule.pdf

Specifically:

Title 36 - Parks, Forests, and Public Property

Chapter 1 - National Park Service, DOI

Part 2 - Resource Protection, Public Use, and Recreation

2.4 Weapons traps and nets. (new paragraph (h))

(h) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable federal law."

I am not positive, but I think that is the one a judge put an injuction on being implimented back in February I think. I think it is why Congress passed the amendment to a bill bypassing it as I understand it.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    never thought about it before but what about state parks? do they automaticly fall under the regular state laws? or is that another area to be careful checking up on.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    It's crap like this that traps law-abiding folks. While we're trying to keep up with all the changes, the BG goes his merry way. What a system!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    State parks are governed by the laws of the state. You should read up, because even some of the most liberal CCW states don't permit carry in state parks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's crap like this that traps law-abiding folks. While we're trying to keep up with all the changes, the BG goes his merry way. What a system!

You are GTG in PA and WV, open or concealed, parks and forrests, however in VA t carry in a state or federal park you have to conceal, OC is not permitted. However there is a discrepency the VCDL has been working on fixing thorugh the state legislature, where carry in a state, and by extension federal forrest is currently not permitted. You also need to know there is a difference with federal buildings like constitution hall in PA, Mt Vernon in VA, amongst many others, carry is not permitted. What is defined as a park, forrest or building can be quite confusing, add to that differences in states and their laws, and you really have to stay on your toes, especially with some state/fed forrests sharing a border with parks, and occasionally having structures classified as federal buildings on them. There are also some buildings classified as parks, forrests classified as parks, and parks or large swaths of land classified as buildings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom