• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Taxes paid and even sold something out of the collection to free up funds to go auction hunting again after a 4 month hiatus. Found an online only auction with some nice milsurps which all had correct bayonets sold in separate lots.
    -The first item to chase was a No5 bayonet for a Jungle Enfield. I've always wanted an original but they're not cheap at $200 plus and I've never been comfortable spending that much. But this one, missing the easy to find scabbard, was only getting tepid bidding so I threw down and it was mine for a stupid cheap price. So much so that even after paying $35 for a correct scabbard will have my total investment well under $100.
    -It arrived this week and didn't disappoint. Built by Wilkinson Sword, a genuine issue No5 with nice, original finish. With so many fake Indian made copies out there it was a joy to finally find a good example.
    -I eyeballed some nice rifles and a Japanese Papa Nambu. British No5 Jungle Enfield, Krag Jorgensen, French MAS 45, a target rich environment! Again, interest on a clean, arsenal rebuilt French 1886 Lebel rifle was weak and I saw opportunity. Got it for hundreds under my max proxibid so I was happy.
    -Lots of neat patch repairs on the stock and a MAT 1925 dated rework to handle N balle ammo. All matching too boot and fitted with a proper French sling.

Attachments

• IMGP8754.JPG
      IMGP8754.JPG
      26.6 KB · Views: 855
    • IMGP8755.JPG
      IMGP8755.JPG
      56.6 KB · Views: 831
    • IMGP8756.JPG
      IMGP8756.JPG
      75 KB · Views: 841
    • IMGP8757.JPG
      IMGP8757.JPG
      43 KB · Views: 851
    • IMGP8759.JPG
      IMGP8759.JPG
      23.4 KB · Views: 850
    • IMGP8760.JPG
      IMGP8760.JPG
      23.8 KB · Views: 848
    • IMGP8761.JPG
      IMGP8761.JPG
      47.8 KB · Views: 825
    • IMGP8762.JPG
      IMGP8762.JPG
      24.8 KB · Views: 834

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Great looking rifle , I have a French Gras artillery carbine lost in the mail right now, i hope it starts making it way here soon. I called USPS and they basically told me to pound sand until 14 days and call them back.:rolleyes:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Great looking rifle , I have a French Gras artillery carbine lost in the mail right now, i hope it starts making it way here soon. I called USPS and they basically told me to pound sand until 14 days and call them back.:rolleyes:

Oh crap, so sorry to hear that. I've been damned lucky over the years to never have a lost shipment. Got a good scare once when FEDEX delivered 5 rifles to my neighbor when I wasn't home to sign for them mid-afternoon. The driver got the neighbor's cleaning lady to do it. I get home and check tracking and it says "delivered" but nothing on my porch. Panic time! I call FEDEX and tell them to get a hold of the driver and find out where the package was delivered because if we can't then the ATF is getting involved. Later on my neighbor comes home around 6:30 pm and calls to tell me there's a big ass box in her living room with my name on it. Never so relieved in all my life!

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Oh crap, so sorry to hear that. I've been damned lucky over the years to never have a lost shipment. Got a good scare once when FEDEX delivered 5 rifles to my neighbor when I wasn't home to sign for them mid-afternoon. The driver got the neighbor's cleaning lady to do it. I get home and check tracking and it says "delivered" but nothing on my porch. Panic time! I call FEDEX and tell them to get a hold of the driver and find out where the package was delivered because if we can't then the ATF is getting involved. Later on my neighbor comes home around 6:30 pm and calls to tell me there's a big ass box in her living room with my name on it. Never so relieved in all my life!

Well tomorrow marks 14 days in transit, when i talked to the lady at USPS i told her that on monday the first it was saying expected delivery by 8pm on the 1st , But then the next day it said it was in DES MOINES IA , she basically gave me the riot act saying they have 14 days to deliver by ground blah blah. I knew when it changed there was a issue. According to the tracking its still at DES MOINES IA network distribution center since the 2nd. I guess we will see when i call them again..

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    What are the good auction sites for C&R? I have only really dealt with the big sites and gun shows. I would love to get some deals at an auction if I can. Still looking for several different rifles for my collection and some pistols as well. I need to get a pile of money first and stop building other guns.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Well tomorrow marks 14 days in transit, when i talked to the lady at USPS i told her that on monday the first it was saying expected delivery by 8pm on the 1st , But then the next day it said it was in DES MOINES IA , she basically gave me the riot act saying they have 14 days to deliver by ground blah blah. I knew when it changed there was a issue. According to the tracking its still at DES MOINES IA network distribution center since the 2nd. I guess we will see when i call them again..

That's not good. I once had a cooling fan temp. sensor for my Porsche fail a week before I was scheduled to drive to Pittsburgh for the Gran Prix weekend. Had bought tickets to park on the venue with the Allegheny Porsche club so I didn't want to bail. Went online and ordered a new sensor from a dealer in Bel Air MD. Figured it would take the USPS no more than 2-3 business days. Then I check tracking and find that my sensor is in Las Vegas NV! So on Friday I drive across town to the dealer in Bel Air in holiday rush hour to pick up another. Managed to get it installed/tested in time for the 3 hr trip home to PA. Weeks later the original sensor arrives in a box that looks like it went to Mars and back. So now I have a spare sensor (cheap insurance at $8.50) and the dealer had a tidy pile of used 944 parts in his back room that he gave to me gratis (nice man!). So it wasn't a total bust.
    Let's hope your Gras doesn't have the same experience!

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That's not good. I once had a cooling fan temp. sensor for my Porsche fail a week before I was scheduled to drive to Pittsburgh for the Gran Prix weekend. Had bought tickets to park on the venue with the Allegheny Porsche club so I didn't want to bail. Went online and ordered a new sensor from a dealer in Bel Air MD. Figured it would take the USPS no more than 2-3 business days. Then I check tracking and find that my sensor is in Las Vegas NV! So on Friday I drive across town to the dealer in Bel Air in holiday rush hour to pick up another. Managed to get it installed/tested in time for the 3 hr trip home to PA. Weeks later the original sensor arrives in a box that looks like it went to Mars and back. So now I have a spare sensor (cheap insurance at $8.50) and the dealer had a tidy pile of used 944 parts in his back room that he gave to me gratis (nice man!). So it wasn't a total bust.
    Let's hope your Gras doesn't have the same experience!

Fingers crossed, I messaged the seller today and asked him if he knew anything, I knew he didnt cause a week ago when the tracking changed he wasnt worried . Ive had rifles come up "missing" before so i suspected there was a issue. he finally responded a little bit ago and said he would contact the post master tomorrow. This is the one in Question.

Attachments

• pix589803273.jpg
      pix589803273.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 158
    • pix962517027.jpg
      pix962517027.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 158
    Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Gras carbines aren't common, I've only seen a couple over 30 yrs. Good find! And with what appears to be a proper French sling. Now let's cross fingers and pray that she finds you soon and without USPS damage.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Nice find! I really want a Lebel, even if it's one of the later cut-down versions with the 3-round magazine.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    You don’t really think that we’re going to share our honey holes, do you?? Lol.

Thank you. I was hoping someone else would step up and state the obvious. As much as I love helping out my fellow collectors this is the only corner of my life where I'm selfish.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I was home waiting on a delivery of a couple of rifles and the FedEx guy shows up with an envelope. :mad54: Seems the numbers on the address are the same but a different street a few blocks away. The computer says what he has is for me even though the name is different as is the street name. I insist that we both go to the other address and there is the box containing 2 rifles. I ask the guy who signed for it and he starts really blubbering at this point. I said that it worked out but that he needs to be more attentive in the future. I prefer to use UPS or USPS.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Thank you. I was hoping someone else would step up and state the obvious. As much as I love helping out my fellow collectors this is the only corner of my life where I'm selfish.

Truth, I let a few folks go to my honey holes but only ppl i know are not after the same things as me :D

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Gras carbines aren't common, I've only seen a couple over 30 yrs. Good find! And with what appears to be a proper French sling. Now let's cross fingers and pray that she finds you soon and without USPS damage.

GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS..... HUM ..... Just kidding, its Delivery day .. It started moving the other night , i guess they knew i was calling again the next morning. :lol2: Box a little crushed but rifle was fine. only took like 17 days from Ky :sad20:

Attachments

• 57362582_266765914211505_6666042895570567168_n.jpg
      57362582_266765914211505_6666042895570567168_n.jpg
      93.5 KB · Views: 111
    • 56659820_870930166593914_6262529889182679040_n.jpg
      56659820_870930166593914_6262529889182679040_n.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 114

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thats really nice!! Looks much better than the seller's photos represented. Worth the wait, if not the anxiety. Crazy that it really took the long way home.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Glad to see it arrived safe! I’ve always liked the Gras. A guy on the French forum on Gunboards had some 11mm Gras dies custom made from Lee. He might still have some but I’m not sure.

I bought a set but I don’t know if I’ll ever even bother trying to shoot mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom