• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -A few years ago at a MACA show I snagged a bargain on a Swiss Diopter equipped K31 range rifle because it had a shortened stock. I eventually installed a stock extender but I kept looking for an affordable K31 stock as a replacement.
    -Funny as it seems I found the perfect organ donor at the latest MACA show. Andrew from Agustus in Switzerland had a full K31 stock with HG and metal tagged at the insanely cheap price of $60. Don't know how it went all the way through Saturday unsold but when I saw it on Sunday I didn't hesitate to hand over three Jacksons. Stupid luck as K31 stocks are so hard to find, let alone at a price this cheap.
    -But it still needed work as a large part of the shellac finish was gone. So I decided to purchase shellac flakes and mix up my own finish using denatured alcohol. Surprisingly easy to do. Just follow the formula for a 1 lb cut and then apply in layers, sanding between layers. Reminded me of an old school lacquer automotive finish.
    -Turned out nice!

Attachments

• IMG_20190401_202343.jpg
      IMG_20190401_202343.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 355
    • IMGP8752.JPG
      IMGP8752.JPG
      33.6 KB · Views: 348
    • IMGP8753.JPG
      IMGP8753.JPG
      24.4 KB · Views: 344

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    mawkie So I decided to purchase shellac flakes and mix up my own finish using denatured alcohol. Surprisingly easy to do. Just follow the formula for a 1 lb cut and then apply in layers, sanding between layers. Reminded me of an old school lacquer automotive finish. I like this I was taught a method called french polish product is Qualasole basically the same as your process conversion varnish except qualasole dries quicker i can put multiple coats same day solids are lower so it doesn't build as quick. edit what's the yellow dangle thing ?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    mawkie So I decided to purchase shellac flakes and mix up my own finish using denatured alcohol. Surprisingly easy to do. Just follow the formula for a 1 lb cut and then apply in layers, sanding between layers. Reminded me of an old school lacquer automotive finish. I like this I was taught a method called french polish product is Qualasole basically the same as your process conversion varnish except qualasole dries quicker i can put multiple coats same day solids are lower so it doesn't build as quick. edit what's the yellow dangle thing ?

Consensus is that it's a marker that the original Swiss owner placed on his K31 so that he could easily ID it in a rifle rack. Makes sense to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom