• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Here's a Savage 1917 I've had on my bench for the last six weeks, soaking in Remoil. The slide won't budge, although the hammer and trigger do work. Any ideas what to try next? I was considering shooting it a bit, if I can get it freed up. Still need to find a magazine but there's no point in that yet.

Thanks, Dutch

Attachments

• Savage1917.jpg
      Savage1917.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 291

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Kroil. If that doesn't work nothing will. I'd also consider removing the grips and then applying a bit of gentle heat via heat gun. Has to be hardened lube, looks too well kept to be corrosion. A bit of heat would soften that. But that would be my last resort, try Kroil first. It's the best penetrant I've ever used.
    A beautiful example, good luck getting it going!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Kroil. If that doesn't work nothing will. I'd also consider removing the grips and then applying a bit of gentle heat via heat gun. Has to be hardened lube, looks too well kept to be corrosion. A bit of heat would soften that. But that would be my last resort, try Kroil first. It's the best penetrant I've ever used.
    A beautiful example, good luck getting it going!

Thanks for the tip. I had forgotten about Kroil.

I'm surprised this one is so clean. It had been kept in a soft leather holster for a long time.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Crazy thought, but have you checked down the barrel to make sure there isn't a corroded round or Omega lock in the chamber?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Crazy thought, but have you checked down the barrel to make sure there isn't a corroded round or Omega lock in the chamber?

Yup, I checked. It's clear. I used a chopstick as a depth gage so I wouldn't get a surprise.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have had success with kroil as well on a number of gun and non gun related items.
    When that did not work, I bring in gentle heat cycling.

heat cycling will free many things up.
    If the grips are the only thing plastic, then as mentioned removing that then heating up one part and not the other will make things expand and contract.

Here is what I often do to things like screws that get stuck:

We all know that heating things will make it expand and cooling will contract.
    Heat up what is convenient with a heat gun then let it sit. keep doing this with like an hour or two pause between heating up.
    Eventually things will loosen up. You don't want to use a blow torch or anything so hot that you are changing the metallurgy.
    And you definitely don't want to be heating things up to the point of discoloring.
    140F is the point where the normal human can touch something and then hold for 10 seconds before being painful to hold. That is usually where I start.
    Cycling say between 140F and 70F can be enough to loosen up many things.
    Its that temperature cycling that separates the 2 things that are stuck.

If its lube/grease, just the heating up once and letting it sit can do the trick.

Years go when my work had different ownership, I brought in "something" that I wanted to free up. We have an industrial temperature chamber.
    I programmed it to temperature cycle from 160F down to 40F back and forth once per hour. Had it in there for 8 hours and pulled it out and yup, all free.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I have had success with kroil as well on a number of gun and non gun related items.
    When that did not work, I bring in gentle heat cycling.

heat cycling will free many things up.
    If the grips are the only thing plastic, then as mentioned removing that then heating up one part and not the other will make things expand and contract.

Here is what I often do to things like screws that get stuck:

We all know that heating things will make it expand and cooling will contract.
    Heat up what is convenient with a heat gun then let it sit. keep doing this with like an hour or two pause between heating up.
    Eventually things will loosen up. You don't want to use a blow torch or anything so hot that you are changing the metallurgy.
    And you definitely don't want to be heating things up to the point of discoloring.
    140F is the point where the normal human can touch something and then hold for 10 seconds before being painful to hold. That is usually where I start.
    Cycling say between 140F and 70F can be enough to loosen up many things.
    Its that temperature cycling that separates the 2 things that are stuck.

If its lube/grease, just the heating up once and letting it sit can do the trick.

Years go when my work had different ownership, I brought in "something" that I wanted to free up. We have an industrial temperature chamber.
    I programmed it to temperature cycle from 160F down to 40F back and forth once per hour. Had it in there for 8 hours and pulled it out and yup, all free.

Too funny! I sell all sorts of lab equipment and one category is environmental chambers and lab ovens. Never occurred to me to program the PID controller to ramp up, dwell, ramp down and then repeat the cycle. Clever!

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    To help the Kroil penetrate, tap on the gun with a rubber mallet or the like. The vibration "moves" the oil faster into the crevices.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LKGMADMAX

Sep 9, 2017
    A nice example of a 1917, modest finish wear. Good luck breaking her loose. You've been given some good tips.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom