• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Also, you can certainly email the form to ATF if you want to. MSI even included an email address to send it to in their most recent communication.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    It's not too late....There is still a possibility to mail on Saturday...and could pay $27 to overnight it.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    For the Calvert COunty folks, there is an article in the paper where Deb Rey asked people to submit an application to the BATF. Her opponent and some quotes from Moon are in there. Her opponent, Crosby doesn't seem to understand.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    When I was 14, I answered a job ad in the Pennysaver. I eventually signed up for gainful “employment.” Each Saturday, a middle-aged creeper in a conversion van (rear heart window) would pick me up and then we would drive to the Evans family apartments in the D.C. suburbs to ask people to subscribe to the Washington Times. We’re talking 1986. At that time, most people were not interested (that’s an understatement) in having a conversation with “a Moonie”. At 14, I was chased out of more places than I care to admit. Most Saturdays, I just hung out in the stairwell of each apartment building.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For the Calvert COunty folks, there is an article in the paper where Deb Rey asked people to submit an application to the BATF. Her opponent and some quotes from Moon are in there. Her opponent, Crosby doesn't seem to understand.

When I was 14, I answered a job ad in the Pennysaver. I eventually signed up for gainful “employment.” Each Saturday, a middle-aged creeper in a conversion van (rear heart window) would pick me up and then we would drive to the Evans family apartments in the D.C. suburbs to ask people to subscribe to the Washington Times. We’re talking 1986. At that time, most people were not interested (that’s an understatement) in having a conversation with “a Moonie”. At 14, I was chased out of more places than I care to admit. Most Saturdays, I just hung out in the stairwell of each apartment building.

BlondFrequentLabradorretriever-max-1mb.gif

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    You don’t need to overnight it. You just need to mail it by 9/30/2018. I mailed mine today by certified mail, RRR. If you can prove that you “applied” before 10/1/2018, you are good.

Which means you can even go to the post office tomorrow and mail it.

[EDIT] Does not need to be overnight; just First Class. Can get there whenever.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I don’t recommend emailing.

The US Mail provides important legal protections.

I would NOT send it first class, without adding the certified mail option to prove delivery.

A return receipt (additional expense) is optional, but not necessary.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County

My form was delivered on 9/24. I still haven't gotten the return receipt and its tracking hasn't updated.

September 17, 2018, 3:10 pm
    Return Receipt Associated
    The U.S. Postal Service has received electronic notification on September 17, 2018 at 3:10 pm that you have associated a return receipt to your item.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

What legal protections, specifically, are offered by the US mail in this case?

When you email the ATF, you have timestamped proof that you sent the application to them, and they give you an immediate "we received your email and are forwarding it to the proper people" response. When you get that you have confirmation of the delivery of your application to ATF, just like you would had you used snail mail.

In this case, I don't see any specific benefit or protection that you would get from doing this on paper.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I would NOT send it first class, without adding the certified mail option to prove delivery.

Just to be clear - I did exactly as MSI recommended and used certified mail with return receipt (little green card mailed back to me). Thanks for pointing that out.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Not to be confrontational, but what legal protections does the US Mail provide? If I mail payment for a bill and the US Post Office loses my payment, what recourse do I have?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I just sent my application to them via an email. I also cc'd myself. Within 2 minutes, I received a receipt from them that my email has been received. So, now I have my USPS application with receipt AND an emailed application with receipt. I believe this is all I can do to ensure my application has arrived and received by their system.

I don't see a down side to emailing the application, particularly for those who won't have time to make it to the post office today.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Not to be confrontational, but what legal protections does the US Mail provide? If I mail payment for a bill and the US Post Office loses my payment, what recourse do I have?

A large body of law, going back centuries, has evolved around mailed correspondence. You may wish to google "the mailbox rule" for a discussion.

The postal service is a recognized method of offering and accepting contracts and creating other legal relationships, and official communication. For instance, either the date of a letter's postmark or the date the letter was received will matter depending on what the envelope contains. Mailing something via the USPS brings all of this precedence in to play. Using certified and even the return receipt card service offers more protections. Arguing about whether you or your uncle Bill drove by to drop something off, on the other hand...not so much.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Johnny E;
    I know for a fact that email time stamping is a legally acceptable way of communicating and proven so in court rulings.
    It doesn’t go back centuries of course but I also don’t need to sign with a quil for it be legally signed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom