• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    Looking for videos, articles, even suggested one on one classes to help improve my accuracy. My problem now is lack of range time but would love any and all tips to improve

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Looking for videos, articles, even suggested one on one classes to help improve my accuracy. My problem now is lack of range time but would love any and all tips to improve

Range time is about the only way you're going to get better accuracy.

This is a problem many of us face. I personally believe that you only need someone to critique you every once in awhile. Too many people shoot too well and have their own way of doing things. You have to find a technique that works for you. The only way to do that is to send lead down range.

Good Luck!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I coached a Soldier while deployed that had never shot a pistol before. We did only dryfire practice for a few minutes a day for about a week before Qualification. He qualified second best in our entire brigade having never live fired a pistol before that day. His only training was with me leading up to the event.

90+% of your training, you do not need to live fire, especially true after you have sufficient live fire training. It is most important to do live fire to minimize recoil effect, know how fast you can shoot accurately enough, not be bothered by the blast/recoil, correct malfunctions, and generally build confidence manipulating/operating a live/loaded firearm.

Hope this advice helps. :)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Super cheap option since you have a 1911. Throw a 3" inch target or Post it note as far as you can visibly see inside your house. After clearing the gun practice manipulating the trigger smooth, straight and to the rear without disturbing the sight picture. Don't rack the gun but use your support hand thumb to recock the hammer.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    For practicing trigger pull while dry firing, I'll balance a penny on top of the front sight depending on the sight (if it's possible).

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Start shooting at 15 yards and walk it out in five yard increments to 50 yards EVERY RANGE SESSION. Shoot an FBI Q Target (or cover the target with sheets of printer paper) since it is very large and you can see what is going on. Use good ammo to eliminate that as a variable. Finally, can you put five rounds on a 1" sticker at 5 yards on demand? If not, do what is shown in the video.

From Rangemaster Tactical Conference 2016. This will improve speed and accuracy.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtbs7wd5C-URhwiK2-y0Qn1ZED9qL9Ifj

Make sure to work on forearm and hand strength. This means farmers walk exercises and curls, etc.

Come find me if you are in NOVA/Baltimore and we can review this material on the range if you have trouble.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtbs7wd5C-URhwiK2-y0Qn1ZED9qL9Ifj

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Good advice.

Lots of dry fire, some good coaching on the range too.

I dry fire all the time. It helped me when I decided to go left handed pistol due to being cross dominate. Can't rock out with a rifle yet on the left but I do go well from strong side rifle to weak side pistol.

I have no real reason to work that drill but it is enjoyable.

I try to dry fire at least two hours a week.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Lucky Gunner 3 essential drills
    My favorte is the 5X5 drill. 5 shots in 5 seconds at 5 yards with a 5 inch target. To add more difficulty draw from holster on the clock. Remember that the reholster should be done with care, slowly and deliberately.

Another great accuracy drill is theDot Torture Drill
    Once mastered at 3 yards increase the distance to increase the challenge.

Targets for both drills can be printed at home.

Hi Sig Girl,
    I agree with the other posters, dry fire is AWESOME....scratch that...GOOD dry fire is awesome! :) I do 10x's more dry fire than I do live fire, however I do not do the penny trick. The reason why is that I prefer to dry fire seeing the same sight picture I would see if I were shooting on the range, and I want to use the time to train my eyes to pick up that sight picture quicker and more accurately. If you want to use the penny as a spot check for movement, great! But for regular dry fire, get used to that front sight focus and be able to see if the sight moves when the trigger breaks. When you master this you will be in a good position to call your shots when you go live on the range. :)
    Cheers, and have fun!
    Cindi

dplay

Mar 27, 2016
    A.A. co. north
    Worth 10k times it's wt. in ammo

https://www.itargetpro.com/

This has helped my wife and me immeasurably. It lets you use your own gun, in your own home, whenever you want. It works with android or iphones; striker fired or hammer fired handguns; and supports most common calibers.

For under $100 you can't beat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom