• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    One of the staffers over at The Truth About Guns (TTAG) was doing an ammunition review when an improperly manufactured cartridge detonated, rupturing his Glock 20 in his hands.

Story here:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/jeremy-s/rip-glock-20-kaboom/

20161203_134911-900x527.jpg

20161203_135445-768x432.jpg

20161205_134620-768x431.jpg

20161203_135016-768x478.jpg

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    This is good. Failed as designed sending the gases down the frame. Sucks for Underwood and a reminder to everyone when testing new hot, overpressure, or max loads to fire the first mag at least with gloves and proper eye protection.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    This happened to me last year with my FNP-45. Mag blew out the bottom with guts and remaining ammo tossed about. Polymer frame was markedly larger due to the explosion inside. Never found the "bad" round. Glad to see he is ok. My left thumb had locking issues for a while where I had to pull on it to move it about. I had burn marks and superficial cuts to my right hand similar to his pics. I was running a mix of brand new Sellier & Bellot and Freedom 230g RN ammo. Just glad it didn't happen to my wife as she shot a mag right before me with no issue. Glad I was a short drive from Flying Dog. Be safe out there.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Stated in the video it was a problem with Lehigh supplying rounds that were not to spec and were loose in the case. When the round chambered, the projectile was seated deeper and caused an over pressure kaboom.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like he got the Extreme Detonator batch from Underwood instead of the Extreme Penetrator.

(and only joking because he's ok)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Stated in the video it was a problem with Lehigh supplying rounds that were not to spec and were loose in the case. When the round chambered, the projectile was seated deeper and caused an over pressure kaboom.

Hope Underwood has further follow-up on this as they might have 40 S&W loadings out there with this same issue (the load the same Lehigh rounds in some of these offerings - 115 gr defenders and 140 gr penetrators).

I've bought Underwood Extreme defenders and/or penetrators in the past for 9 mm, 357 Magnum, 357 Sig, and 40 S&W. No kabooms so far, but I'll think twice before shooting the 40 S&W boxes now.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Hope Underwood has further follow-up on this as they might have 40 S&W loadings out there with this same issue (the load the same Lehigh rounds in some of these offerings - 115 gr defenders and 140 gr penetrators).

I've bought Underwood Extreme defenders and/or penetrators in the past for 9 mm, 357 Magnum, 357 Sig, and 40 S&W. No kabooms so far, but I'll think twice before shooting the 40 S&W boxes now.

They bought new laser equipment to make sure that all rounds from here on meet specs.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was at AGC many years ago when we had a kaboom. Guy was pretty messed up. Police arrived and took statements, he went for a ride to the hospital. It could have been worse. He did have on safety glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom