• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Now I shall explain the biggest issue with the single point sling.

Once you "drop the carbine", whether it's to use both hands, transition to pistol, etc, not only does it whack your nuts, but it is also now a pendulum that swings all over the place. You will lose control over the muzzle. Thus, you will still need one hand to maintain control over the muzzle which, in my opinion, completely defeats the purpose of having a sling in the first place.

Forget the single point! Get a VTAC, VCAS, or SOB sling and be done with it. If you live close enough to me (I'm in the Timonium area) I'd be happy to show you how to set one up, especially since I too am a dwarf.

BTW, I looked back at your original pic and see now that you do have it attached at the castle nut. My mistake. But you also have the sling over the wrong shoulder. So that's not helping.

Finally, is that a Gettysburg College tee? Or just a tourist Gettysburg one?

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Now I shall explain the biggest issue with the single point sling.

Once you "drop the carbine", whether it's to use both hands, transition to pistol, etc, not only does it whack your nuts, but it is also now a pendulum that swings all over the place. You will lose control over the muzzle. Thus, you will still need one hand to maintain control over the muzzle which, in my opinion, completely defeats the purpose of having a sling in the first place.

Forget the single point! Get a VTAC, VCAS, or SOB sling and be done with it. If you live close enough to me (I'm in the Timonium area) I'd be happy to show you how to set one up, especially since I too am a dwarf.

BTW, I looked back at your original pic and see now that you do have it attached at the castle nut. My mistake. But you also have the sling over the wrong shoulder. So that's not helping.

Finally, is that a Gettysburg College tee? Or just a tourist Gettysburg one?

If he shoots right handed it's over the correct shoulder.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    My apologies. You're correct. I wear mine over my right shoulder and under my left arm. I had to imagine putting it on while saying that out loud while looking at the picture to get it straight. Ha!

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    Everyone has an opinion, so here is one more.
    If you are right handed, the sling is over the wrong shoulder. I agree it looks like there is some extra length on the end of the sling.
    A single point is fine for 99.99% of users who just want to keep it from clattering to the concrete at the range. If you are playing GI Joe, or in some kind of competition which involves running around with it retained, a 2 point will probably be a better set up.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    OP, before you give up on your single-point sling there is one more thing you can do to bring the rifle higher up on your chest.

In your picture in post #1, your rifle covers up your attachment scheme, but in the pic below, I believe this is what you are using--with me leaving the rifle out.

It looks like you are bringing your sling around front on your chest and clipping into a Magpul loop-and-clip segment, which drops your attachment point down almost FOUR inches. So from the point where your sling comes together on the front of your chest, the clip that grabs the ring on your rifle is located almost four inches BELOW your sling circle. That is what you see in the pic below.

(Note I am pulling down on the Magpul segment to simulate the weight of the rifle. See that the sling--with rifle weight on it-- assumes a right angle that drops the sling segment going over your shoulder STRAIGHT down. And to reiterate--you had your sling on the wrong shoulder in post #1. For right handed shooters, it should run under your LEFT armpit.)

Attachments

• IMG_6281.jpg
      IMG_6281.jpg
      94.4 KB · Views: 140

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Here's what happens when you remove the Magpul attachment segment. The attachment point for your rifle, instead of being around your mid-torso, is now at your upper chest.

Attachments

• IMG_6278.jpg
      IMG_6278.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 143
    Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Find a third attachment clip that accepts the clips on your one-point sling, and then attach this third clip to the ring at your castle nut.

Bingo, rifle rides high, with your rifle muzzle above your knee cap, so you can kneel without banging the muzzle.

(For noobs, just about any factory rifle you purchase WILL NOT have a clip loop at the castle nut location--which is where the buffer tube meets the receiver. You will have to purchase this loop plate and, as a noob, have a gunsmith or a savvy friend with the proper AR wrench put it on for you. See ClutchyMcClutcherson's picture in his post #32 for what this plate looks like. As noted earlier, attaching a single-point sling at the buttstock won't work--the rifle rides too low.)

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Well, loosening the single-point sling just drops the rifle down, and you are back where you started--with the rifle muzzle banging into the ground when you kneel. Or slamming your jewels.

The comfort for the single-point comes from that RIGHT ANGLE drop of the sling coming down from your RIGHT shoulder. It minimizes neck bite and distributes the rifle weight uniformly across your clavicle, rather than having the sling cut across you at a sharp diagonal.

But to get the rifle to ride high, your sling loop has to be TIGHT where it runs across your left armpit.

When the rifle rides high, it swings less and minimizes that ball tap that makes people give up single-point slings.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I seemed to have done too good of a job cleaning up for Thanksgiving, because now I can't find my sling. :o Apparently, I was using it all wrong anyway...But I agree with Rack&Roll about skipping that "pigtail" and clipping the sling directly to your rifle. That's what worked for me...even though I use it too loose and on the wrong side...:shrug:

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I seemed to have done too good of a job cleaning up for Thanksgiving, because now I can't find my sling. :o Apparently, I was using it all wrong anyway...But I agree with Rack&Roll about skipping that "pigtail" and clipping the sling directly to your rifle. That's what worked for me...even though I use it too loose and on the wrong side...:shrug:

Thanks for the pics, I'll do that and post a pic to see if i did it right

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    OP, before you give up on your single-point sling there is one more thing you can do to bring the rifle higher up on your chest.

In your picture in post #1, your rifle covers up your attachment scheme, but in the pic below, I believe this is what you are using--with me leaving the rifle out.

It looks like you are bringing your sling around front on your chest and clipping into a Magpul loop-and-clip segment, which drops your attachment point down almost FOUR inches. So from the point where your sling comes together on the front of your chest, the clip that grabs the ring on your rifle is located almost four inches BELOW your sling circle. That is what you see in the pic below.

(Note I am pulling down on the Magpul segment to simulate the weight of the rifle. See that the sling--with rifle weight on it-- assumes a right angle that drops the sling segment going over your shoulder STRAIGHT down. And to reiterate--you had your sling on the wrong shoulder in post #1. For right handed shooters, it should run under your LEFT armpit.)

This is the reason mixing and matching can be a bad idea. The MS1/2/3/4 slings have a short leader strap a couple inches long to keep the sling buckle clear of your grip, the sling should loop through the buckle on one side, and clip or QD into it at a right angle to form a single point. Using it as an "adapter" like shown with a single point HK style sling pretty much doubles the length of sling/leader ahead of the spot where the sling loop should be joined, and will leave the rifle hanging really low and loose. When properly adjusted, using an end plate adapter it should ride with the magwell around your beltline. The OP's placement isn't bad, just should be over the strong side shoulder, and maybe a little looser, hanging the rifle on your strong side is awkward and interferes with a pistol. I like mine just loose enough that when I drop the rifle it slides to my weak side, grip forward, and allows more room to work with another firearm, or to use my hands, slaps the side of my leg, not the nuts. Of course with any movement more than an upright walk, you need to put a hand on the rifle. IMO the general rule is 2pt=outdoors, 1pt=indoors.

magpul-mag518-blk_lg.jpg

bobbo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 21, 2011
    Any interested in diy slings Alice pack straps with quick release are great.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Must be over 44cal to hunt with pistol in md
    No. Unless regs have changed for 2016/2017, for deer, must be over 700 ft lbs energy at the muzzle and have a barrel length of 6 inches or greater. Hot 357 Magnum loads can hit 800 ft lbs energy from a pistol barrel, and 41 Magnum can easily cross the minimal threshold.

No such minimums for varmints or small fur bearers in counties that permit handgun hunting.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom