• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, safes are deterrents unless you spring for major $$$. If your first concern is keeping your firearms out of reach of your kids, any locking metal box will do. A job safe can often be scored pretty inexpensively and will hold ammo and guns. If keeping it away from thieves, both hiding it AND locking it in a metal box that's difficult to move or lay flat or cut into is good. The thicker the gauge of steel, the better, but keep in mind hiding it or going for thicker walls is still just buying time. Don't even bother with fire protection, any fire big enough to damage your guns, will damage your guns. That's what insurance is for.

My advice is to spend as much as you can afford on a safe. Cheap safes are cheap and a good safe will be with you for a lifetime. I find it ironic that people have $10K+ in firearms in a $600 safe. Also buy one twice as big as you think you'll need. Trust me on that... :D

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I recently bought a safe from a company called Safe and Signs based near York PA. They are dealers for Champion and Supreme Safes. I got a great price and the delivery charge was very reasonable. I would highly recommend giving them a call to see what they can do for you. They will not charge you any sales tax although you should check your local regulations relating to paying the sales tax on out of state purchases.

Cal68

I bought mine from these guys as well at the York gun show. They were great to deal with and as Cal68 said delivery was very reasonable. This was important to me since it was going in the basement.

If you can make it to a show most have pretty decent deals and you get a chance to see them in person. Safe and Signs doesn't have a storefront but they have a spot at the Morningstar Marketplace in Thomasville, PA. Definitely get the biggest that you can, you will fill it up for sure.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Just sold a used larger stack on here on MDS. Depends on what you want a safe to do. For under $500 you can get a safe that has fire resistance, and is secure enough to keep out most people. However, it won't withstand a sustained burn or a determined burglar. I went this way as I have insurance on my guns and just wanted a convenient secure dry place to keep the guns away from curious hands. If someone really wants them and comes prepared to grind the bolts, more power to them. All my guns are replaceable.

Define your use.

ps: Sold the second safe as I thinned the herd to guns that I shoot. I am a shooter not a collector.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    i think the most basic requirements for me is curious hands and fire protection i dont have insurance on my firearms yet and thats something i plan to do in the near future. but the wife and i are starting to look at home buying so thats going to be taking a lead in our attention.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    I bought mine from these guys as well at the York gun show. They were great to deal with and as Cal68 said delivery was very reasonable. This was important to me since it was going in the basement.

If you can make it to a show most have pretty decent deals and you get a chance to see them in person. Safe and Signs doesn't have a storefront but they have a spot at the Morningstar Marketplace in Thomasville, PA. Definitely get the biggest that you can, you will fill it up for sure.

I bought from these guys not from the gun show but from Craigslist. Bought the budget Model T 24 gun and REALLY like it, well built. Sadly it's filled to capacity, should have spent another couple hundred bucks.

Down side, the delivery boss was OK and he SWORE he didn't look at the combination. :rolleyes: His helpers looked like escapee's from Gitmo that I wouldn't normally let near the house. I called both Champion AND his distributor.... she came out and changed the combination for me free of charge.

All's well now and yes Id buy another Champion in a heartbeat. Oh yeah, they destroyed my lawn AFTER I warned them not to! :mad54:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Advise I got from a locksmith:

1. Buy the best you can afford - Ft Knox came highly recommended - I ended up with a higher end Champion. I found a floor model that had a big scratch on the side - 30% off.

2. Buy bigger than you think you need. He was right - it fills up quick.

3. Buy a firebox and put important documents in it and then place it in the safe - added protection.

4. If you have a basement, install the safe against an exterior wall - more likely to survive a house fire.

5. Bolt it down.

6. He recommended a mechanical S&G combo lock. He says the electronic ones do fail.

7. Pay for delivery and installation on a heavy safe - IMHO, it was very much worth the $125. They had this treaded, crawler type dolly that could climb stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom