• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Curl16

Daughter of a King
    Jun 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    I can't decide whether or not to take the Utah CCW class. 4 hours of classroom training doesn't sound like the most fun activity - can someone that's taken the class comment on how it was? Did the class keep your attention the whole time? What topics are covered?

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    The class isn't for entertainment purposes, it's a requirement for Utah CCW licensing.

Curl16

Daughter of a King
    Jun 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    The class isn't for entertainment purposes, it's a requirement for Utah CCW licensing.

I guess my post didn't come across right. Can you tell me what all is covered during the training? Does it cover Utah laws or is it more of a gun safety course? I'm trying to decide if I should take this class or maybe another course like the NRA basic pistol course.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I guess my post didn't come across right. Can you tell me what all is covered during the training? Does it cover Utah laws or is it more of a gun safety course? I'm trying to decide if I should take this class or maybe another course like the NRA basic pistol course.

The main focus of the class is the gun safety portion, yes. The class virtually mirrors the NRA Basic Pistol course, with some Utah specific stuff added in.

ETA - Its a good course but (as was already said) the instructor can make or break the material.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

What is you intention. Do you want ccw or just learn to shoot?

It does cover mostly Utah laws and basic carry do and donts.

splfd

Jul 27, 2011
    Unfree State
    I took the class with Genesis down in Southern Maryland a few months ago. The instructor was excellent but the slide show.... a good review. The instructor told us from the start that he had to show the slides and the contents were heavily regulated by Utah. Like I said a good review but I was hoping for a bit more real-life knowledge as in:

1. Holsters
    2. Ammo
    3. Legalities, legalities and more legalities.

I think the Utah class is a good foundation for additional training. I've never carried concealed; always open. I will take additional training when I can find the time. Another subscriber on here has given me many options regarding training and I think before I would ever carry concealed utilizing the Utah CCW, I will invest in his recommendations. I know my wife feels the same way. Thank you Mr. Blake. :)

Bottom line- I don't regret the class. I wish it was more of a graduate level but it was a great foundation for future training experiences. BTW- Genesis provided the training, finger print cards, notary, coffee and pastries. I'm not sure if any of the other vendors do, but I would surmise that most are similar.

I think it was a wise investment.

Curl16

Daughter of a King
    Jun 5, 2013
    Carroll County
    What is you intention. Do you want ccw or just learn to shoot?

It does cover mostly Utah laws and basic carry do and donts.

Probably both in the long term but short term, learn to shoot handguns since I've shot with mostly long guns in the past. I don't know if I'll have many opportunities to utilize the concealed carry--what are the odds MD will join the listing?

Thanks for your input.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I think the Utah class is a good foundation for additional training. ................. I wish it was more of a graduate level but it was a great foundation for future training experiences.

What you have to remember is that the class is the same class that is taught in Utah for people to apply. For some people who have other permits and prior training, the material may seem woefully basic. For those with no prior training, the material lays some good groundwork.

That's what I meant by the instructor making/breaking the class. As an instructor, you have to teach the basic stuff to the newbie, and the more detailed concealed carry concepts to the veteran, and you have to do it all in one class and keep everyone's attention level high while doing it. Practical concealed carry experience plays a big part of that teaching process.

splfd

Jul 27, 2011
    Unfree State
    What you have to remember is that the class is the same class that is taught in Utah for people to apply. For some people who have other permits and prior training, the material may seem woefully basic. For those with no prior training, the material lays some good groundwork.

That's what I meant by the instructor making/breaking the class. As an instructor, you have to teach the basic stuff to the newbie, and the more detailed concealed carry concepts to the veteran, and you have to do it all in one class and keep everyone's attention level high while doing it. Practical concealed carry experience plays a big part of that teaching process.

Roger that- solid copy.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Probably both in the long term but short term, learn to shoot handguns since I've shot with mostly long guns in the past. I don't know if I'll have many opportunities to utilize the concealed carry--what are the odds MD will join the listing?

Thanks for your input.

Start with basics then. May get bored with the rules but may be beneficial on hands on/range time.

Md joining.. Very slim unless we win at scotus.

SCOTTG82

I'm Muffin, I know nuffin
    Nov 14, 2012
    WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THIS.... IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THIS QUESTION YOU SHOULDNT BE TAKING THE CLASS!!!!!

quartershot

Jun 13, 2013
    I have had my Virginia permit for thirteen years and I carry daily, But I go through Georgia once and a while so I needed the Utah permit because Virginia doesn't have reciprocity with Georgia, I took the class with James Reynolds at ProactiveShooters, It was a very good class not boring at all, But if your worried about being bored I guess concealed carry and the responsiblity that goes with it is not for you.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Find a class that fits your schedule and is given by a reputable instructor. You should be able to find a course that includes everything you need to apply for one price. Beware of those that don't include everything, they may have added fees for the extras.

If one of our scheduled classes fits your schedule feel free to register. I will let my customers tell you if they enjoyed the clsss or were bored out of their mind. Here's a link to my IP section on the forum. http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom