• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    I'm going turkey hunting next week using a shotgun. Any reason not to bring a bow also in case any deer come by? I couldn't find anything in the regs.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Dnr regulations seem to prohibit this:

"Firearms or airguns may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season with the following exception. In Deer Management Region A, persons 21 years old or older may carry a handgun for personal protection against bear while hunting deer during the Archery Season."

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Personally, I don't see why it would be illegal. It is legal to take Turkey with bow or shotgun. If it were me, it would be well worth a call to DNR. What have you got to lose?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yea, you can say you are turkey hunting and plan to use the bow if under twenty yards and the shotgun if 25 - 50 yards. Yea, that is the plan and my story, officer.

Near the bottom of the Archery regs, not allowed.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-regulations-archery-muzzleloader-firearms-airguns/

and you can shoot turkeys with the bow.

Yep. One of those laws that assume hunters are natural born cheaters, but it is the law.
    Firearms or air guns may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season with the following exception. In Deer Management Region A, persons 21 years old or older may carry a handgun for personal protection against bear while hunting deer during the Archery Season. The handgun:

May not be used for hunting any game species while the person is archery hunting for deer;
    May not have a barrel length of more than six inches;
    May not have a telescopic sight or electronic aiming device attached; and
    May not be used to kill wildlife wounded by a vertical bow or crossbow.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I used to goose hunt a field where deer would leave one woods and cross the middle of the field and enter another woods.This happened almost every time we hunted and every time about 10 am.There was a fence row between us and the deer.We could have seen the deer coming and sneak to the fence row to get an easy shot with a muzzle loader(since it was the late season we hunted there) We were tempted ,but didnt know how the law would see it.

We thought we should be ok if we left the rifles in the fence row and kept the shotguns in the blind.But none of us were willing to be the guinea pig.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Personally, I don't see why it would be illegal. It is legal to take Turkey with bow or shotgun. If it were me, it would be well worth a call to DNR. What have you got to lose?

But you can't hunt a deer with a shotgun during archery season.

The archery-only option would be the best if you want to try for both.

I have a spot where I can waterfowl and turkey hunt at (roughly) the same time. I considered a combo hunt until I realized that I'd have turkey shot with me (lead) on a waterfowl hunt. Even though I wouldn't use it, it's against the rules.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But you can't hunt a deer with a shotgun during archery season.

The archery-only option would be the best if you want to try for both.

I have a spot where I can waterfowl and turkey hunt at (roughly) the same time. I considered a combo hunt until I realized that I'd have turkey shot with me (lead) on a waterfowl hunt. Even though I wouldn't use it, it's against the rules.

Yup. As soon as you shoot a deer with your bow, having the shotgun in your possession violates the law.

I’ve considered combo hunts also, but realized it was against the law.

Just go with bow for turkey and deer if you really want to hunt both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom