Green Ridge State ParK; Advice need please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    My friends and I want to plan a little camping trip to Green Ridge State park, to get away from our wives and kids. We want to camp over night or two. Any information would be great on the camp sites there.

I saw there was a shooting range there. Do I have to bring my own stand or do they have stands at the range and I just bring some paper targets? Does it get crowded, on the weekends?

On their map, or a map off the internet, it shows that camp sites are by the road. can I drive my car on the camp site, because I saw couple pictures on the web, where there were cars by tents?

Am I allow to shoot air rifles ( or BB guns) at the camp grounds?

I know drinking is prohibited on the camp grounds, but I read somewhere, that I could have open containers in my parked car, which makes me think I can drink in the car, as long as I dont drive it. Is that true?

If anybody can advise, on any other info, I really appreciate it. Thanks.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yonkers bottom.......but you will see other people cuz the fishing stream. The range is about 25 mins away and requires a pass from m the range station 5 bucks as i recall). They have stands but it wouldn’t hurt to build a crude stand. There ain’t a fire log within 100 yards of the camp site though so it’s best to bring your own wood. You can drive to Yonkers bottom but if it rains and your in a car.....good luck getting out. There are sites at the top of the mountian but they aren’t as private. Game warden will come check on you but they are very friendly. We drank there no problem but make it visible that you got a place for your trash!

Bills place is 15 mins from the site so you can get a burger and beers. The owner is the heafty guy behind the bar. Jack is his name and he’s a good dude, don’t piss him off and he’s a wealth of information!

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    When I get home I have a map n notebook where I listed sites that were off the road a ways but you can still drive to them. It's been 20a yrs since I was there last but I think the sites are first come first served primitive camping. All had a fire ring and picnic table but NO water/ electric NO bathroom. Bring your water n dig a hole.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Bond's Landing area is nice. Holiday weekends are crowded, but midweek, or even some off peak weekends, and you might have the place to yourself. You are not allowed to import wood in anymore. Too many critters being spread around. You can get a permit at the rangers station, and just driving around the forest you can get a truck load of wood quickly with a little help.

The river is right there if you want to fish. I have never seen the rangers hassle anyone over drinking, but yes, make sure you take all your trash.

There are plenty of other sites scattered around the forest. It's worth taking a drive around and check them out, but you should not set up until you have the camping permit for that site. Yes, you can drive right to them. I believe there is also primitive camping along some of the marked trails.

There are the occasional bears, so keeping the food secure is a good idea. Plenty of bobcats roaming around that area as well, and sometimes you can hear the coyotes at night. But never been bothered by any of them. Other than a bear going in my cooler and pulling out a pork roast. lol

Bill's Place and Little Orlean's Campground store are good places to stop at for any supplies you forget.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Yonkers bottom.......but you will see other people cuz the fishing stream. The range is about 25 mins away and requires a pass from m the range station 5 bucks as i recall). They have stands but it wouldn’t hurt to build a crude stand. There ain’t a fire log within 100 yards of the camp site though so it’s best to bring your own wood. You can drive to Yonkers bottom but if it rains and your in a car.....good luck getting out. There are sites at the top of the mountian but they aren’t as private. Game warden will come check on you but they are very friendly. We drank there no problem but make it visible that you got a place for your trash!

Bills place is 15 mins from the site so you can get a burger and beers. The owner is the heafty guy behind the bar. Jack is his name and he’s a good dude, don’t piss him off and he’s a wealth of information!

You are not allowed to bring firewood from outside the park... There is plenty of wood laying around - it is a forest after all...

GMCometh

Jan 20, 2010
    Fallston
    IIRC, Green Ridge has really cut down on the amount of campsites available. My family and I went quite frequently years and years ago. We stopped when they closed the ORV trail, essentially ending all camping along the 18-mile trail (with the exception of sites where the ORV trail meets main roads).

I'm not sure if they take reservations or not, but it may be worth calling before going.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Note - Green Ridge is a State Forrest, not a State Park . Alcohol is permitted at camp sites in SF . Usual stipulations of no rowdieness or intoxication .

Virtually all camp sites are vehicle accessible. ( I want to say all , but I could be overlooking the rare exception. And of course early in Spring , specific roads could be in rough shape .)

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Beer= yes
    Shooting at camp site, even BB gun= NO!!
    Reservations=no, first come first serve.
    Bathrooms=no
    State park=no (it's a state forest)
    Bring target stands= good idea
    Pull car into site= yes, for 90+% of sites
    Trash cans= no (pack it in, pack it out)

Know before you go, call ahead. It's a fantastic place, so much history! Enjoy!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Have they harvested all the trees that ORVs were endangering? lol

Sorry OP, great place to camp ... I stopped going when the paper mills took over.

My avatar is from an old camp site.

steelplace

Apr 7, 2018
    SEE:
    http://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/publiclands/western_greenridgeforest.aspx

Range use by permit only. Permits are only available at the Green Ridge State Forest Headquarters, Exit 64 on Interstate 68. ADDRESS: 28700 Headquarters Dr NE, Flintstone, MD 21530. Self-register at outside Kiosk if office is closed. Open Wed –Sat 10 a.m. to sunset, Sunday noon to sunset, Monday 10 a.m. to sunset. CLOSED TUESDAY. NO automatic weapons. PERMITE FEES : $5.00 per day / $25.00 per year. Under 16 or over 64 fee is $2.50/day $10.00 per year. Annual Family Pass $50.00 . Range is normally unsupervised but is routinely patrolled and may be under video surveillance. The Green Ridge range has been subjected to unauthorized destructive shooting and only 100 Yd target frames are maintained but permitted users can place shorter range target frames in front of berms provided they are in compliance with range rules and are removed when you leave. Report destructive activity to GRSF headquarters 301-478-3124 or DNR Police 800-628-9944

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Thank you. Seems like this weekend looks promising. It is calling 80 degrees in the DMV area, so thinking, maybe 75 degrees in the woods??? Night will probably be cold. Taking my wife's minivan, so if it too cold at night, might sleep in the van. Thanks for the useful info guys!

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I looked at my notes on favorite campsites but I can't reconcile my 20yr old notes with a current map of campsites. It looks like they were renumbered at some point because I wrote down which roadthe sites were on and the campsite numbers are not matching up.

kyserthehun

Jul 24, 2016
    I've never had a problem drinking up there but I stopped going once they closed the OVR trail too. Good times, have fun.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Just an FYI, but roads on the bottom of GRSF are still closed from the storm last week. Carroll RD, and the Bonds Landing area are closed. Drainage pipes, and the roadway, were washed out, and it may be a while till they get them fixed. They had to rescue some campers that were cut off during the storm. They had to leave their gear and vehicles behind.
    http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/06/04/campers-rescued-maryland-forest/

There is an advisory posted on the page to call before heading in to the forest to see what is closed yet. They don’t know when they are going to be reopened. Someone at the office said these are actually county roads and they have to wait for them. I’ve only ever seen GRSF staff fixing them.:shrug:

“DUE TO FLASH FLOODS IN THE GREEN RIDGE STATE FOREST AREA SEVERAL ROADS AND CAMPSITES ARE CLOSED AT THIS TIME. THIS WOULD INCLUDE BONDS LANDING, CARROLL AND OUTDOOR CLUB ROAD . PLEASE CALL( 301-478-3124) BEFORE PLANNING A TRIP FOR UPDATES AND OTHER TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS AND CLOSURES.”
    http://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/publiclands/western_greenridgeforest.aspx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom