• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    So I was doing some spring cleaning and an inventory of my ammo.

I realized that I have a huge amount of 22 mag ammo and only have the KelteK PMR pistol to shoot it with.

So, I know am seriously considering getting a rifle chambered in 22 mag or a barrel for my CZ 455.

What do you guys have and/or recommend?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Get the KelTec CMR. It uses the same mags as the PMR. I’m getting a Ruger American in it just because I don’t want to deal with magazine capacities, but if I had a PMR the CMR would be my first choice.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    You don't really have a lot of .22 mag options in rifles. Apparently there are issues with the blowback timing as it pertains to the length of the cartridge. (I believe, if not someone correct me....)

Ruger made a 10/22 in magnum. They are like unicorns however......

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have the Ruger American compact. For an inexpensive rifle, I am very impressed by it. You are welcome to try it once the range opens up. If you can still get a barrel for your 455, that sounds like a great option. A 457 or a Tikka T1x would also be excellent.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks guys,
    Has anyone here used the CMR. Do the newer ones still have the reliability issue related to lubrication?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks guys,
    Has anyone here used the CMR. Do the newer ones still have the reliability issue related to lubrication?

Mine has been 100% works well and insanely accurate for what it is. Hoping to snag one of the OD or FDE ones for a 2nd at some point. The only people i know who have had issues haven't cleaned it. Rimfire is dirty typically so clean once every 200 rds or so at least.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a Savage 93G. Plain wood stock and standard barrel. With my Redfield Revolution 2-7 it is a hell of a shooter. It is my groundhog rifle. Very accurate

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have the Ruger American compact. For an inexpensive rifle, I am very impressed by it. You are welcome to try it once the range opens up. If you can still get a barrel for your 455, that sounds like a great option. A 457 or a Tikka T1x would also be excellent.
    Is the T1x now available in the US in 22Mag? Man, shouldn't have read this. Love mine in 22LR despite it being all plastic. Had been thinking of saving up for an Anschutz sporter in 22Mag.

Dbledoc, as you might know (especially if you read RimfireCentral), match grade 22Mag commerical ammo seems to be elusive. For many rifle platforms out of the box, 1.25-1.5 inch groups at 100 yard is quite acceptable. My two most accurate 22Mag rifles from a bench are the CZ 512 semiautomatic and Ruger American - and both are ammo sensitive (I tried maybe 8 different commercial options, and for some, different lots of these commerical options).

3 other 22Mag rifles that I have scoped (Browning T-bolt sporter, CZ 455 American, Winchester 9422M) all also can achieve 2-inch or smaller groups at 100 yards. I have another 9422M that's unscoped.

I like the functionality of 22Mag in that it packs nearly as easily as 22LR and hits harder. It is more expensive, but it is relatively easy to find. It's a 22 rimfire caliber, so possibly less restrictive to regulations in the future (not that this should be guiding). I also have a revolver that takes the same round. Obviously one could cover many of these bases with 22LR (which is cheaper when available, packs even lighter, and has more gun options), but variety is fun.

For both fun and maybe a little more accuracy, I think the CZ 512 is a good value. For a practical, sturdy, reasonably accurate platform that is less expensive, I really like the Ruger American (and the flush fitting, reliable, 9 round mags). CDNN had some of these in 22Mag for $270 recently.

In the end, I find these rifles to be a bit like Chinese food. Not pricey, enjoyable, but in time, you're hungry for more.

Reposting a few pics of some of the above rifles below.
    34cbc433a409861b91f73438f2cae603.jpg
    04d2ee0e714bb4c74d6bccbc60e45ddf.jpg
    379576df359b154888ea886b45702a38.jpg
    8447f6530cfd49e92d91ac6af3a04d0e.jpg

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Is the T1x now available in the US in 22Mag? Man, shouldn't have read this. Love mine in 22LR despite it being all plastic. Had been thinking of saving up for an Anschutz sporter in 22Mag.

Dbledoc, as you might know (especially if you read RimfireCentral), match grade 22Mag commerical ammo seems to be elusive. For many rifle platforms out of the box, 1.25-1.5 inch groups at 100 yard is quite acceptable. My two most accurate 22Mag rifles from a bench are the CZ 512 semiautomatic and Ruger American - and both are ammo sensitive (I tried maybe 8 different commercial options, and for some, different lots of these commerical options).

3 other 22Mag rifles that I have scoped (Browning T-bolt sporter, CZ 455 American, Winchester 9422M) all also can achieve 2-inch or smaller groups at 100 yards. I have another 9422M that's unscoped.

I like the functionality of 22Mag in that it packs nearly as easily as 22LR and hits harder. It is more expensive, but it is relatively easy to find. It's a 22 rimfire caliber, so possibly less restrictive to regulations in the future (not that this should be guiding). I also have a revolver that takes the same round. Obviously one could cover many of these bases with 22LR (which is cheaper when available, packs even lighter, and has more gun options), but variety is fun.

For both fun and maybe a little more accuracy, I think the CZ 512 is a good value. For a practical, sturdy, reasonably accurate platform that is less expensive, I really like the Ruger American (and the flush fitting, reliable, 9 round mags). CDNN had some of these in 22Mag for $270 recently.

In the end, I find these rifles to be a bit like Chinese food. Not pricey, enjoyable, but in time, you're hungry for more.

Reposting a few pics of some of the above rifles below.

Nice write up. Lot’s of options. I picked up a CZ 455 trainer in 22LR and with a can on it, it feels like a nerf gun and am sub MOA at 100 yds with no wind.

I like the CZ platform. How does the 512 compare to the 455/457?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice write up. Lot’s of options. I picked up a CZ 455 trainer in 22LR and with a can on it, it feels like a nerf gun and am sub MOA at 100 yds with no wind.

I like the CZ platform. How does the 512 compare to the 455/457?
    Different beasts of course. Semiautomatic vs bolt. Non interchangeable barrel versus interchangeable barrel. Different stock profiles.

I actually prefer the 512. It's no AK-47, but it's a pretty cool 22Mag with a nicely curved mag. Small and quick handling. Very reliable and new owners are always happy/surprised by its accuracy.

This being said, I'll eventually buy a CZ 457 American, most likely in 22LR. Want to compare to my Tikka T1x (which is sub MOA).

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Apologies, apparently the Tikka is NOT available in WMR. A friend got one in .17HMR so I thought it might be available in maggie. His HMR is very nice.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Apologies, apparently the Tikka is NOT available in WMR. A friend got one in .17HMR so I thought it might be available in maggie. His HMR is very nice.
    No worries. Yes, Tikka released both 22LR and 17HMR T1X models together. I've been very pleased with 22LR version. More accurate than a pair of CZ 452s and a CZ 455 that I have in 22LR, and the CZs are fantastic.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    If you're in no hurry keep your eye out for a used Ruger 77/22 Magnum, they are a full sized rifle and mine is quite accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_9544.jpg
      IMG_9544.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 257

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I've never owned a 22 mag, but I get the itch every few years. The cheap me looks at ammo costs and thinks not much gap in cost from 22 mag to 223 and I have several of those.

Does anyone have a Ruger precision in 22 mag? I kind of like that one.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have an older CZ 452 Varmit in 22lr which is a reading tack driver. Doesn't help with the 22 mag version, but I thought I would throw that out there. The 77/22 platform is great as well, but good luck finding one at a decent price. Let me know if you are interested in a Chuckster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom