• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    My 10-year-old has a thing for R/C cars. So far we've been through several cheap-quality New Bright cars and a not-so-cheap FAST car from Amazon that lasted all of 2 days (gears stripped).

Before he blows more money on garbage, we'd like to go to a shop to make sure we get something appropriate and perhaps demo.

Anyone have any suggestions? We're in Westminster - maybe 20 to 25 miles out unless there's a really good shop that's worth a drive.

Thanks

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    Go to the Moose Caboose on route 26 in Winfield. It's 15 minutes from Westminster and a great shop with a good selection of RC cars and a super friendly staff. Highly recommended. Glen the owner will set you up with a quality RC at a discount price.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Tower hobbies ftw

I've got way too many toys. Nitro ftw.

I'll save you some time. Check out the dromia BX4.18 car. Laurel has them for $99 and Amazon for $95ish. Awesome starter car with parts that can easily be replaced. Just make sure you pick up a second battery pack

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Hobby town USA in FDRK off @ 454 prospect Blvd has a ton of rc stuff. I haven't been to their current location but at their previous one they had a full track and sponsored racing leagues.

Very cool stuff

---
    Shamr0ck

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thanks guys. I think Moose Caboose is right across from my old high school (used to be a pottery shop back in the day if I remember right).

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    There used to be a place off Timonium Road (same center as REI)... American Hobby, maybe??!!

Had a lot of R/C, all levels. But, I don't know if they're still there. Haven't been there in several years.

Gone. Closed about 2 yrs ago.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    There is a hobby town in parkville. Or you can check craigslist. I have a few traxxas cars and they have taken some serious beatings and kept on going. Sure you break stuff, if you aren't, ya ain't doin it right. Fortunately parts are readily available. I'd highly recommend an E-Revo.

Blackstar65

Jun 27, 2010
    You will get better pricing online. But buying local may support a business although their are very few rc shops left that aren't chains. Check out Big Squid RC for vehicle reviews. Do you know what type of vehicle you want? If you have any questions shoot me a pm or post here. I have been involved with RC cars since the mid 80's.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Talk to Glen at the Moose Caboose ,doesn't have much, but their prices and service are great and he can order stuff. Not sure of too many other shops or tracks in the area, the track in Gaithersburg used to be cool. Up here Xtreme RC in Quarryville has a LOT of cars and parts, Pit stop has a 1/10 scale electric track you can run on for $5 to practice, $20 to race, open to anyone with a truck that fits into a class. Used to race at Xtreme RC till the track closed, now only run at Pit stop from time to time.

As far as a car to choose Traxxas, and Losi are the gold standard for ready to run quality cars. There is a big difference between "toy" grade and hobby grade, a hobby grade car can be upgraded, repaired, can hold up to massive crashes, jumps, and hard use, but can cost at least a couple hundred. There are also some "beginner" lines from Tower and Horizon hobby that are decent. Definitely go electric, with brushless/Lipo tech, electrics are actually faster than nitro, tunable from the transmitter, much longer run times, cheaper to run, don't need to tune an engine, and many tracks only allow electric. A 1/10 scale short course truck is probably the best place to start, there are a ton of models to choose from, it's a good size without being too large/heavy, they are popular and easy to race. A 2WD is cheaper, although can be squirrely especially if it's brushless, 4WD is more stable and easier to drive, but more complicated and expensive.

I would start with a brushed 2WD Traxxas slash and get used to it, really popular truck with a lot of tracks that have a race class for that particular truck, but also fun running on short grass, dirt and pavement. A 4wd brushless Losi SCTE, Associated SC10 or Slash 4x4 makes a great second truck, and is more fun bashing around the yard> It is more expensive and can be too fast for a beginner to run, luckily you can turn down the power from the transmitter or speed controller and make it easy to learn, and it offers a LOT more room to grow.

This is the Amain at a BBQ bash last year at my local track, I ran in an earlier race, but this guy got a good video of the main.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Just got home from Moose Caboose with a Traxxas Stampede. The boy is in heaven. I now want to buy one.

Even when it might cost more than on-line, this is where buying local pays off. There was a problem with it out of the box. Took it in and they had it fixed in 8 minutes (motor not fully secured at the factory, stripped some teeth off the whatchyamahoogy gear). The guy (younger of the two fellows there) went over what he was doing and how to adjust the motor's position and all that.

Fantastic customer service.

Thanks for the suggestions!

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    Kinda a long the same line. Any Slot Car tracks around the area?

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I'm glad you were happy with the Moose Caboose. It sounds like Trevor helped you out. They are super nice, provide great customer service and have decent prices. They are the 2A Supplies of hobby stores. I started out buying my younger son a Traxxis, then my older son and I had to get one too. It's a lot of fun racing each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom