• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, prom and graduation I can deal with... Right now, despite saving TONS of money in a "targeted" 2020 date 529 plans, we are seeing significant drops. My daughter so wants to go to Purdue and become an engineer. She worked her ass off, putting off social stuff, boys, and general shenanigans to have the BEST grades and right activities.

We HAD just enough to send her OOS, and now we don't. Which means loans loans loans and further assistance from us when we already pumped a bunch of our hard earned money in.... And Purdue is relatively cheap. Wisconsin wanted $212,000 as did Texas A&M.

She got decent money from Delaware and Ohio State but its NOT where she wants to go.... We are worried about her. No prom, no graduation (likely), and now going to college somewhere she REALLY wanted to, may not happen. Lets suppose we suck it up and send her anyway.... What if they close the school and do distance learning instead? The whole premise of Purdue is how to approach education as a collaborative process rather than isolating and judging everyone individually (yea they still get graded on their own but they also get graded for their collaboration effort). So not even really getting that freshman year away from home, doing what they want, when they want to, all part of the growing up and away from the parents.

The level of suckiness is undeniable. And it goes beyond just HS stuff. It's life changing.

Reading this thread backwards. For the schools that she likes, are there gap year options? I bet a lot of kids will do this instead of paying full tuition for remote learning in fall. Many have deadlines in May to request (one that my kid is interested is May 8 and another is July 1). Most tend to be by mid May so schools can give acceptances to waitlist kids for the upcoming academic term. Gives another year to set aside money as well, and if your kid has a job, for the kid to earn.

Have you checked with an admissions counselor? I know a lot of schools have pushed deadlines from May to July for aid packages and so forth. Maryland schools have not even figured out what they are doing the 4th quarter for grades, it could be pass fail (or maybe they wont even count. Or maybe the school year will be extended.)

I do know that it will be a rolling CharlieFoxtrot.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm tired of the powers-that-be constantly changing the "peak infection" blah-blah-blah. Trying to pin that date down is like trying to glue a tracking device on a moving hummingbird. They don't really know so they need to quit acting like they do. So sorry for the seniors this year but the whole of the nation is suffering and sacrificing and that is a part of life. When I was a kid, we were sacrificing our post-graduating seniors in a place called Vietnam.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    1,169 people died today in NY and I bet they and their and families wished they had your problems.

I do wonder how many people die everyday in NY. I wonder how many people actually die because of COVID19 as opposed to dying with COVID19 and then reporting as a actual CIVID19 death.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Have you checked with an admissions counselor? I know a lot of schools have pushed deadlines from May to July for aid packages and so forth. Maryland schools have not even figured out what they are doing the 4th quarter for grades, it could be pass fail (or maybe they wont even count. Or maybe the school year will be extended.)

I do know that it will be a rolling CharlieFoxtrot.

All of the financial aid was released from Purdue already. We have two incomes so we got nothing. This despite working her ass off, and putting aside normal HS social and fun stuff. It is the only school she visited where she felt excited.

It will be a CF. Maybe we just need to concede defeat and encourage her to go to Ohio State. Like we need anymore buckeyes..... :shrug:

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I do wonder how many people die everyday in NY. I wonder how many people actually die because of COVID19 as opposed to dying with COVID19 and then reporting as a actual CIVID19 death.

Those numbers mean nothing without context. Regular flu killed 34,200 in the 2018/2019 flu season per the CDC.

Context...it's double the death rate for a single day highest for the seasonal flu.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5100905002

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    All of the financial aid was released from Purdue already. We have two incomes so we got nothing. This despite working her ass off, and putting aside normal HS social and fun stuff. It is the only school she visited where she felt excited.

It will be a CF. Maybe we just need to concede defeat and encourage her to go to Ohio State. Like we need anymore buckeyes..... :shrug:

I hear CCBC is lovely in the fall.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    If it’s any consolation, the school you go to for your undergraduate doesn’t really matter for engineering. It might be wise to go to a cheaper school now, and then get masters at a more prestigious school

bearabledust

Dec 21, 2011
    Catonsville
    In the same boat here too. My son is a senior and was finally enjoying high school. He’s currently trying to finish up his Eagle rank, waiting on paper work to return, but with council offices closed, his application is in limbo somewhere. He’ll probably have his board of review via Zoom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Reading this thread backwards. For the schools that she likes, are there gap year options? I bet a lot of kids will do this instead of paying full tuition for remote learning in fall. Many have deadlines in May to request (one that my kid is interested is May 8 and another is July 1). Most tend to be by mid May so schools can give acceptances to waitlist kids for the upcoming academic term. Gives another year to set aside money as well, and if your kid has a job, for the kid to earn.

We may look at that.... If kids have to do remote learning it will be across the board. They wont have one campus on and one campus off... So EVERYONE will be doing the same thing. Which is encouraging. Save 1 semester of room and board, that goes a long way to helping make up the deficit. Also working, she does currently have a job. Will have to look at the "gap year" options.

Just so I get what you are saying, go in the summer, remotely to not pay the full tuition in the fall ?

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Instead of complaining about a fact which cannot change, why not work on making something up to help them have some special experience. Talk with your PTAs, your school board, and fellow parents. Maybe you can organize at-home promos with family. Virtual graduation. Work with them on their projects and finish them anyway.

The Coronavirus isn't going away anytime soon, and your lives matter. Their experiences can be replaced. And, God willing, people will work together to help replace those experiences.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    We may look at that.... If kids have to do remote learning it will be across the board. They wont have one campus on and one campus off... So EVERYONE will be doing the same thing. Which is encouraging. Save 1 semester of room and board, that goes a long way to helping make up the deficit. Also working, she does currently have a job. Will have to look at the "gap year" options.

Just so I get what you are saying, go in the summer, remotely to not pay the full tuition in the fall ?

For the gap year, no tuition is paid and there is no remote learning. An admissions spot is held for the next academic term. One more year to save for college if needed.

We're doing some online orientations next week and will ask about a gap semester and/or how they will handle it if remote learning is a thing for the fall semester (high probability in my view). Presume that we save on room and board as you mention.

As Danb mentioned, very likely to be a dynamic situation. I think it's very likely that this virus will re-emerge in spread and intensity come November/December and dorms will be petri dishes. My kid doesn't want to miss a year, but I don't look forward to moving a kid into university housing in August only to move them out in November. Purdue is drivable in day. For my kid, I think this will rule out California.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    Just find something better to do with her. I went coyote hunting with my dad and got pizza after. She'll remember something like that, as opposed to an expensive, awkward date with some sweaty pimple faced kid who's name she'll forget in 5 years in a gym stuffed with even more sweaty pimple faced kids.

Although, as I type that out, that's probably more memorable... But in a horrible sort of way...

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I'm very sorry about all our High School Seniors missing their proms & probably their graduation...

BUT the Governor issued a Stay AT Home Order to try to keep people safe...

On a happier note & Speaking of Senior Proms...

My wife & I double dated to her senior prom with other people, meaning she went with another guy & I went with another girl, I was driving a 65 Pontiac GTO...

That was in 1966 = 54 years ago...

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I'm very sorry about all our High School Seniors missing their proms & probably their graduation...

BUT the Governor issued a Stay AT Home Order to try to keep people safe...

On a happier note & Speaking of Senior Proms...

My wife & I double dated to her senior prom with other people, meaning she went with another guy & I went with another girl, I was driving a 65 Pontiac GTO...

That was in 1966 = 54 years ago...

Stories like those never get old. Well done sir!

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Those numbers mean nothing without context. Regular flu killed 34,200 in the 2018/2019 flu season per the CDC.

What sort of comparison are you making?

Here’s some context for you. 1169 people died, IN ONE DAY, IN ONE CITY. Do you think that would be less than the 34000 people that died in one flue season? Let’s calculate. I’ll help you (because obviously you skipped out before you had a chance to walk the stage).

How many MONTHS is a season? 3? 4? More? So, how many days? 90? 120? More? 90 days of even 1000 people dying would be 90,000 people. IN ONE CITY. That’s 3x your silly statistic. IN ONE CITY. How many more will die in all the cities across the country? Are you getting the point yet? Go try and trivialize COVID-19 somewhere else. Your own numbers are making you look silly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    What sort of comparison are you making?

Here’s some context for you. 1169 people died, IN ONE DAY, IN ONE CITY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deaths in New York State: 3,565, up from 2,935 on Friday morning.

So this is from today's NY Times, I may be missing it but I can't find any article that says 1169 people dies in NY City. Yes is likely all those deaths were related to COVID or a complication as a result of it. It is saying Friday morning however, not Saturday and that's for the entire state.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Meanwhile on the complete opposite end of things, I've already started talking with my 5 year old about how the start of kindergarten may look different than what everyone was expecting. It's a time for adults to model how to adapt and overcome challenges in life. Things will be weird, but challenges make you stronger if you handle them with the correct mindset. In this case, my son gets to have me as a teacher for a while. It's invaluable time with him at a crucial stage of development that I otherwise wouldn't have and he'll probably learn more/faster than if he was in kindergarten for that time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 08.39.17.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 08.39.17.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads