• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Direct from Lt. Hall on whether they have stopped processing long guns, as claimed on social media:

"That's false information. We are still processing long guns."

It only took 24 hours for a response -- usually it is weeks or never lol.

But I do appreciate his quick refutation of false info.

Not sure who the twitter guy talked to.

Good to hear. Any indication of how long they are taking to process registrations?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Direct from Lt. Hall on whether they have stopped processing long guns, as claimed on social media:

"That's false information. We are still processing long guns."

It only took 24 hours for a response -- usually it is weeks or never lol.

But I do appreciate his quick refutation of false info.

Not sure who the twitter guy talked to.

I talked to Ofc. Mills this afternoon. He says they're still registering both long guns and handguns but with Mr. Sykes currently not accepting new purchases it's obvious that buying a new handgun at this time will be problematic.

He expects Mr. Sykes to be back up in a couple of months. From what I've been told that's very unlikely. They've been told that one FFL can't cover the whole city, even without the COVID-19 panic buying.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Good to hear. Any indication of how long they are taking to process registrations?
    I didn't ask him. Sorry.

I expect to be doing a rifle soon (family transfer) so we will see how that goes.

I try to keep my emails to him as short and as simple as possible.

I think my success rate is 14% with Lt. Hall.

Officer Mills has never ever responded to any email lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    They've been told that one FFL can't cover the whole city, even without the COVID-19 panic buying.

So they're going to change all the zoning laws and allow a real retail FFL? Or are they thinking of having 2 people operate as Sykes?

Still seems to me to be a ripe situation for 2AF to get involved somehow if there is going to be no FFL in DC for months.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Still seems to me to be a ripe situation for 2AF to get involved somehow if there is going to be no FFL in DC for months.

I don't think they will do anything until they get sued again on their zoning laws, not that I mind the involuntary donation of my DC tax dollars to SAF.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    So they're going to change all the zoning laws and allow a real retail FFL? Or are they thinking of having 2 people operate as Sykes?

The trouble is even if you can find an FFL willing to work with 2AF on a zoning change lawsuit DC will simply offer them space in that basement at HQ (and there's plenty of space down there) and moot the case.

I'd love to see the federal law banning persons from buying handguns across state lines overturned due to DC's stubbornness. That would affect them, and the rabid anti's encouraging them, more than anything else. There are many more FFLs in MD, VA, etc. than there could ever be in DC and especially more that they can't control and tax.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The trouble is even if you can find an FFL willing to work with 2AF on a zoning change lawsuit DC will simply offer them space in that basement at HQ (and there's plenty of space down there) and moot the case.

I'd love to see the federal law banning persons from buying handguns across state lines overturned due to DC's stubbornness. That would affect them, and the rabid anti's encouraging them, more than anything else. There are many more FFLs in MD, VA, etc. than there could ever be in DC and especially more that they can't control and tax.

Yeah, as long as the handguns must be registered with DC MPD anyway, there is actually no logical reason for it to be illegal to use a Virginia or Md FFL. For handguns, other than threaded barrel and the issue of the Maryland, Mass or Cali rosters, which are all public rosters, there really isn't anything special to know. Not optimistic about it though since for DC it is not just about evil guns though, it is also about its assertion that it is a state.

I am highly resistant to conspiracy theories, I'm the kind of guy who is certain one man, Oswald, acting alone, killed JFK. But I just don't believe at all that Sykes stopping for reasons unrelated to the pandemic. There is no getting around the firm belief by Democrats who run the city that guns should be not sold, if not that they should be outright confiscated, in an emergency like this. You see that impulse in other jurisdictions early in this pandemic, where mayors or chiefs of police have stopped gun store operations not based on social distancing considerations, but on the concept that more guns equals more social violence.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I am highly resistant to conspiracy theories, I'm the kind of guy who is certain one man, Oswald, acting alone, killed JFK. But I just don't believe at all that Sykes stopping for reasons unrelated to the pandemic. There is no getting around the firm belief by Democrats who run the city that guns should be not sold, if not that they should be outright confiscated, in an emergency like this. You see that impulse in other jurisdictions early in this pandemic, where mayors or chiefs of police have stopped gun store operations not based on social distancing considerations, but on the concept that more guns equals more social violence.

I’d also be willing to bet they are taking every one of the 60-days the current statute allows for them to turn around registrations, even though a few months ago they were processing them in 20 minutes (if you already had fingerprints on file). Long of the short, if you don’t already have a gun you aren’t getting on anytime soon.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Wonder if Congress has the stomach to step into this as a "home rule" approval issue. Push comes to shove, ATF is an FFL so maybe transfer there if Congress desired? The DC registration would be out the door at same time...

Yes, pie in the sky... but I bet there would be lots of panicked action at the DC level if Congress started kicking the can around...

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I actually emailed Alan Gura about the current situation and he responded almost immediately (gotta say I'm am very impressed by that).

There's nothing really to be done until Sykes reopens or not and then see what DC does and then there's the Supreme Court and NYSRPA and the other held cases like Mance so for now it is just a waiting game.

Still seems crazy that 12 years after Heller we are now back to where it all started, hopefully for a short time only but still ....

dweissman

Mar 23, 2020
    Wonder if Congress has the stomach to step into this as a "home rule" approval issue. Push comes to shove, ATF is an FFL so maybe transfer there if Congress desired? The DC registration would be out the door at same time...

Yes, pie in the sky... but I bet there would be lots of panicked action at the DC level if Congress started kicking the can around...

Frankly, I'm skeptical of Congress doing anything on this issue. They had two years of one-party rule and they did jack re DC's gun laws. Rubio's bill to amend DC's gun laws went nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom