• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    In the past i have alwsys just bought a complete ar15 rifle. Hbar of course in this stupid state.
    I am tired of looking for hbar guns.
    So can I do this.
    Buy Any complete upper no matter how m4ish it is and have it sent to my house. 16"or more of course
    Then buy a complete lower of my choice have it sent to my ffl. Go and pay transfer fee. NO hql needed.
    Put the 2 halves together and go about my business as if I bought a complete hbar rifle.
    Not inclined or interested in building one.
    Am I even close to how I would like it to work.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It wouldn't be a legal configuration, unless it is an HBAR upper.

Windham has some nice models. Del-Ton is okay. And there's always Colt.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    In the past i have alwsys just bought a complete ar15 rifle. Hbar of course in this stupid state.
    I am tired of looking for hbar guns.
    So can I do this.
    Buy Any complete upper no matter how m4ish it is and have it sent to my house. 16"or more of course
    Then buy a complete lower of my choice have it sent to my ffl. Go and pay transfer fee. NO hql needed.
    Put the 2 halves together and go about my business as if I bought a complete hbar rifle.
    Not inclined or interested in building one.
    Am I even close to how I would like it to work.

You can buy any upper you want as long as you put it on a pistol lower. With the SBA3 brace, you'd be in pretty good shape. SBA3 is adjustable and feels very solid.

What you are suggesting is not a legal configuration. God forbid you ever need to use that rifle for SD, you will run into problems - not to mention publicly posting your intent to build a non md compliant AR.

If you find a complete HBAR upper, your good to go.

Just my 0.02

Last edited:

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i thought you could buy whatever as long as it's not 556 , ie 300 blackout , 6.8 spc , ect. if not i'm sure someone will correct me . dan

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Ok so even that way the upper must be hbar.
    But am I right that I dont need an hql to have the lower sent to my.ffl and then just go pick it up after transfer fee.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Ok so even that way the upper must be hbar.
    But am I right that I dont need an hql to have the lower sent to my.ffl and then just go pick it up after transfer fee.

You would be much better off just buying a decent MD compliant AR. Several IP's can help you with a fair price.

If you're buying a lower, considering transfer fees etc, you're better off just buying one from a local dealer. Again, several IP's have decent deals on those as well.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    i thought you could buy whatever as long as it's not 556 , ie 300 blackout , 6.8 spc , ect. if not i'm sure someone will correct me . dan

no. for rifles: You can buy 300blackout and 6.8 in any config (so long as its over 29" and does not have both flash hider and folding stock). 556/223 must be hbar config (and also, over 29" and does not have both FH and folding stock).

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    doing it with a new lower I don't think it would be kosher

if it's a pre 2013 grandfathered lower he should be good right?

I wonder about an 80% lower as long as it was made and built into that configuration before 2013...

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Pre Oct.1 2013 you are ok. I don't know how you prove that if needed, or if the burden of proof is on the prosecution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom