• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have been out of diving for many years and am thinking of taking an open water scuba course to get back into it. Any good local dive shops to be recommended? I used to dive out in Hawaii and Australia. But I need to get some adventure back in life.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You might want to see if the local REC department, Adult Ed or Community College has a program. It will probably be much cheaper. Unfortunately, the YMCA, which was the 2nd oldest certifying program in the world stopped it's program a few years ago. That would have been my first recommendation.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I did my advanced open water class in GTMO, best thing i could have done. Maybe get the refresher and then the advanced qual at the same time?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I did my cert at Sea Colony and Advanced in Hawaii about 20 years ago.
    There is a place in Columbia off Dobin also.
    Had my regulators serviced there once
    columbiascuba.com

Wife and I talked about getting my older 2 boys certified.
    We may take them to the Splash Party at the Dobin place to gauge interest

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I did my advanced open water class in GTMO, best thing i could have done. Maybe get the refresher and then the advanced qual at the same time?

Ok, so you suggest he wear some kind of bulky vest with wires sticking out of it, not shave for a month and go down to Pennsylvania Ave and shout Aloha Snackbar?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I got my training through Sea Colony (been diving since 1981)and my equipment serviced there as well... Good folks, John and Linda Kiser... Haven't been by their shop in a while, and have no idea what courses cost, but I do need to get my equipment serviced. I spent much of the holiday weekend rekindling a love affair with my 10 meter Trojan flybridge that I mildly set up as a dive platform for a couple Ocean City dive excursions with my family some years ago. I miss diving... and yes... there are plenty of things to see and find off the coast of O.C... Bugs o' plenty... and when you spear fish, you take what you want... not settle for what you reel in... I've never been to the Islands or anywhere exotic to dive, but I have been in Gin-clear water a mere 2 miles from O.C. Inlet. Didn't mean to threadjack, but I'm gettin' the diving itch as well.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    I got my EAN training, have purchased a bunch of gear over the years, and had my reg's and bcd's serviced at Columbia Scuba. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them and their services.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Got certified through Columbia Scuba. It's a hell of a fun hobby but not cheap. If you want to get back into it then I would suggest going and diving the Great Barrier Reef ASAP, as it is probably going to all be dead within 5 years.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Op: if you are still certified, you might be able to just do a refresher course rather than taking the entire course over again. It's ok if you want to do the whole thing but not necessarily needed. Most scuba shops offer refresher classes. i was an instructor with Columbia Scuba until I finally retired last year so I'm partial to them, but there are others in the area that are well regarded and have been mentioned in this thread.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Got my certification from southern Maryland college back in 2002. Purchased and had all my equipment at Sea Colony. I still have everything including my teenage daughters equipment. The BCD,wet suit and boots.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Got certified through Columbia Scuba. It's a hell of a fun hobby but not cheap. If you want to get back into it then I would suggest going and diving the Great Barrier Reef ASAP, as it is probably going to all be dead within 5 years.

I did a Barrier Reef dive about 30 years ago. Probably looks much different now.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Op: if you are still certified, you might be able to just do a refresher course rather than taking the entire course over again. It's ok if you want to do the whole thing but not necessarily needed. Most scuba shops offer refresher classes. i was an instructor with Columbia Scuba until I finally retired last year so I'm partial to them, but there are others in the area that are well regarded and have been mentioned in this thread.

Sounds like good advice. I still have my NAUI and PADI open water ratings, but have not been diving since the '80s. So maybe it would be best to work out a refresher class and do some studying to get up to speed.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    If you have the equipment already re-read your course books start back in the pool (shallow end first) to remember the stuff you learned. Go to quarry and do some 15' dives to get back up to speed. At this point if you feel uncomfortable take a refresher course. Scuba is truly a remarkable sport. Remember to check double check and check again.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Anyone here ever dive off Ocean City?
    I know its better further south which is where I used to go, its just that I"m over there all the time in the summer now adays
    thx

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Anyone here ever dive off Ocean City?
    I know its better further south which is where I used to go, its just that I"m over there all the time in the summer now adays
    thx

I used to go spear fishing around Ocean City a lot. Diving is okay, usually cold water and poor visibility.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012

What year did you receive your cert in GTMO. I got mine when i attended WT Sampson back in 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom