• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    4th Circuit looking at FBI culpability in Dylan Roof incident

If any of you have PACER there was a case today in Richmond looking at the Liability of the FBI, for not correcting a bad sale.

Feds Defend Gun Background Checks in Fourth Circuit

The federal investigator tasked with completing his background check made contacts with the Lexington Police Department, which told her an arrest record existed but was in the possession of the Columbia Police Department.

The investigator testified that she scanned her local police contact sheet and only found the West Columbia Police Department, and when she contacted them no document surfaced, so Roof was allowed to make the purchase.

A federal judge in South Carolina ruled for the FBI last year, finding that the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act grants the government immunity in most situations when it fails to prevent weapons from winding up in the wrong hands.

But during Tuesday’s oral arguments at the Fourth Circuit in Richmond, Virginia, Chief U.S. Circuit Judge Roger Gregory, a Bill Clinton appointee, called that lack of accountability “absurd.”

Grilling Deputy Assistant Attorney General Thomas Ward, the judge said the investigator “had the info, was told where it was,” but didn’t contact the correct agency.
    https://www.courthousenews.com/feds-defend-gun-background-checks-in-fourth-circuit/

The case is Felicia Sanders v. US 18-1931

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The real question here is, why wasn't This information sent to the FBI in the first place? Admission of use of illegal drugs is an instant disqualification and a copy of the arrest record and disqualifying document should have been in the FBI database. Making agents track down that information isn't a viable system.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Wait....Brady bill immunifies the Feds from lawsuits for helping provide guns involved in crimes, but the same people that passed it think it's ok to go after gun manufacturers for making a gun used in crime?

I've said it before I'll say it again: if it weren't for double standards, liberals wouldn't have any standards at all.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The real question here is, why wasn't This information sent to the FBI in the first place? Admission of use of illegal drugs is an instant disqualification and a copy of the arrest record and disqualifying document should have been in the FBI database. Making agents track down that information isn't a viable system.

That’s more of a state/local issue. Some states suck at providing information to NICS. And some states that are good about it, don’t hold their local jurisdictions to account for not being good at submitting information to NICS. Especially things like mental health records.

I was reading an article looking at some of those issues. For example, I think VA is really good on the mental health records thing, but AL (I think it was AL) had submitted like 1000-2000 total records to NICS on mental health. VA had submitted like 75,0000.

I am a bit making up numbers because I read the article about 2 years ago, but there is a vast difference from state to state.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well that may be true on the surface but with technology today it "shouldn't" be too much of an issue. But just think if there is Gov't accountability in all other areas/levels of gov't.

If you look at technology sharing between agencies and departments, you will see it is a BIG problem. It should be very simple with a centralized database of prohibited persons. Instead of working together, there seems to be more of a rivalry among everyone.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you look at technology sharing between agencies and departments, you will see it is a BIG problem. It should be very simple with a centralized database of prohibited persons. Instead of working together, there seems to be more of a rivalry among everyone.

Well, depends how you look at it. Big government is usually run by liars, crooks, and nanny do-gooders. Information sharing only empowers those liars, crooks, and nannies. Imagine if some liars and crooks accessed a CCW database and decided to dox gun rights supporters. For example.

"Prohibited persons" is a questionable status in my book. Can we really deny gun rights to a person who made a youthful indiscretion 30 years ago?

I highly doubt laws and databases are going to prevent a white supremacist from shooting up a church, school, bombing a government building, etc. I feel fairly certain a lot of white supremacists have unregistered machine guns getting ready for the race war.

If someone is dangerous enough to be prohibited, they should be in jail, hanging from a gallows somewhere, or under 6ft of dirt.

So when it comes to interagency intergovernment information sharing, less is more, because those liars, nannies, and crooks are more likely to abuse it than actually prevent any crime.

ETA: and btw, since 2014 we have a new "streamlined' process for the 77r MD handgun background check. Has this new "streamlined" electronic process reduced the 7 day wait or prevented any homicides? Well, they are up 35% since 2013... so not so much.

Gun laws and databases are nothing more than plopping down rocks in a river of evil. bad guys just find a way around them, and ultimately the water always flows.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    If someone is dangerous enough to be prohibited, they should be in jail, hanging from a gallows somewhere, or under 6ft of dirt.

In this bipartisan criminal reform bill I wish this would have been addressed. I generally agree that if someone has paid their debt, never mind the catch and release programs practiced in many blue states/cities, if they are good enough to be released back into society then they should be considered a member of society with the rights and responsibilities they had before their conviction.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    That’s more of a state/local issue. Some states suck at providing information to NICS. And some states that are good about it, don’t hold their local jurisdictions to account for not being good at submitting information to NICS. Especially things like mental health records.

I was reading an article looking at some of those issues. For example, I think VA is really good on the mental health records thing, but AL (I think it was AL) had submitted like 1000-2000 total records to NICS on mental health. VA had submitted like 75,0000.

I am a bit making up numbers because I read the article about 2 years ago, but there is a vast difference from state to state.
    VA was also shamed into fixing things by the mental health issues related to the Virginia Tech shooter. The General Assembly got it's act together and made changes to the laws that closed loopholes & fixed problems that allowed the Tech shooter to purchase his handguns

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, depends how you look at it. Big government is usually run by liars, crooks, and nanny do-gooders. Information sharing only empowers those liars, crooks, and nannies. Imagine if some liars and crooks accessed a CCW database and decided to dox gun rights supporters. For example.

"Prohibited persons" is a questionable status in my book. Can we really deny gun rights to a person who made a youthful indiscretion 30 years ago?

I highly doubt laws and databases are going to prevent a white supremacist from shooting up a church, school, bombing a government building, etc. I feel fairly certain a lot of white supremacists have unregistered machine guns getting ready for the race war.

So when it comes to interagency intergovernment information sharing, less is more, because those liars, nannies, and crooks are more likely to abuse it than actually prevent any crime.

ETA: and btw, since 2014 we have a new "streamlined' process for the 77r MD handgun background check. Has this new "streamlined" electronic process reduced the 7 day wait or prevented any homicides? Well, they are up 35% since 2013... so not so much.

Gun laws and databases are nothing more than plopping down rocks in a river of evil. bad guys just find a way around them, and ultimately the water always flows.

There are points we can argue that we will never solve, and you bring up some philosophical points as well. From a purely academic/objective standpoint there is no reason why all the databases do not talk to each other. Roof fell through the cracks. So did Cho (VA Tech). Don't muddy the waters.

We all know background checks and registration schemes will do nothing.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Personally, I am pleased that the Gov lacks comprehensive linked databases. You are free to guess why . . . for the time being.

I also feel that any felon whose right to vote has been restored, should have all rights restored. On the other hand, too dangerous to re-arm is too dangerous to be released into the civilian population. Time o give up on prison rehabilitation, and get back to prison as punishment.

While Maryland is supposed to upload mental health data to NICS, it would probably involve uploading most of the Dem voter list. We cannot permit that to happen.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    VA was also shamed into fixing things by the mental health issues related to the Virginia Tech shooter. The General Assembly got it's act together and made changes to the laws that closed loopholes & fixed problems that allowed the Tech shooter to purchase his handguns

Oh, absolutely. Just saying VA appears to have their act together today, some states don’t.

I am hesitant to agree wholly on the debt to society and if they are a threat, they should continue to be incarcerated. What about the guy who’s proven he is a hot head and been in for a year or two for assault multiple times over the years? Should we just lock him up and throw away the key? I don’t know I really want someone proven they have some serious anger and self control issues having access to guns. I also don’t necessarily think that can be the case, but also that they’ve proven their are so dangerous that they can’t be trusted in society at all.

Same thing with some people with serious mental health issues. Plenty are totally harmless. But I also don’t want them having access to guns until they’ve shown their mental health issues are under control and been well managed for (whatever is medically appropriate) a reasonable period of time. Is the schizophrenic likely to shoot a place up? A lot less likely than you or me. But that doesn’t mean they can appropriately judge right from wrong or reality from fantasy.

For non-serious violent crimes as a first time offender, you should get your full rights back as soon as your sentence and any probation is up. For non-violent crimes I think you should get your rights back as soon as your sentence and probation is up, whether it is your first, second, etc.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I am hesitant to agree wholly on the debt to society and if they are a threat, they should continue to be incarcerated. What about the guy who’s proven he is a hot head and been in for a year or two for assault multiple times over the years? Should we just lock him up and throw away the key?

Being a violent "hothead" should be treated as mental illness. I have had coworkers over the years with hair triggers who would get violent over minor disagreements, perceived insults, and traffic issues. Gun, fists, chair, doesn't matter what weapon they have access to, they're an unpredictable danger to others. Imprison them permanently as criminals? No, that wouldn't be fair; they just can't control themselves. But once they've proven they can't control themselves to the extent they commit acts of violence against others, they should be required to get treatment, and take their prescribed meds if they're to be allowed to walk free in society.

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

To the highlighted all states are horrible at it the best only do like 25-30% of what they NEED to. States like MD, NY, NJ and CA are some of the worst with what they submit being close to single digit percentages. IIRC MD keeps most of their records for themselves and in doing so stopped a guy from buying a gun in MD but the info they had was not in the national database so the guy bought a gun a in PA and killed his wife

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Found the case

18-1931
    Felicia Sanders v. US

CIVIL: Appeal from dismissal of FTCA claims alleging government negligence in performing background checks as barred by FTCA's "discretionary function" exception and Brady Act immunity.

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/DataBriefs.aspx?CASENUM=18-1931

OP updated. I can't get past the PACER login

Opening Brief and Response Briefs are attached.

The Audio from the Orals on May 7th: http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/OAarchive/mp3/18-1931-20190507.mp3

Attachments

• OpeningBrief.pdf
      364.3 KB · Views: 71
    • ResponseBrief.pdf
      259.2 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads