• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    While we are waiting on the big one to appear over the next few days.....

Has anyone else shot a groundhog and know damn well you hit it, but no blood on the ground and it ran back to its hole to die? Happened to me with a little one earlier in the week. About a 40 yard shot and hit it so hard it rolled. Then ran off to the hole and haven’t seen it since.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Has anyone else shot a groundhog and know damn well you hit it, but no blood on the ground and it ran back to its hole to die? Happened to me with a little one earlier in the week. About a 40 yard shot and hit it so hard it rolled. Then ran off to the hole and haven’t seen it since.

Its happened to me a few times, but I was using a 22 so i could hear the bullet hit. No blood and no groundhog to show for it, but i know i hit it.

I've tagged one with a 308, it rolled about 5 feet and lay there. As I was walking up to it, it took off sprinting like nothing happened to it. There was no blood, no guts. Weirdest thing I've seen

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick

Before I bought a .243 or .223 bolt gun, I used to hunt them with a 30-06 with 110 grain hand loads, I had many that received a sold hit, run and make it back to their hole, sometimes leaving no trail of blood, sometimes leaving internal body parts at the location of impact. These were shots that were several hundred yards away, with my hunting partner watching through their scope. At less then 50 yards, the ground hogs tended to turn inside out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Happened to me with my bow last fall.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Its happened to me a few times, but I was using a 22 so i could hear the bullet hit. No blood and no groundhog to show for it, but i know i hit it.

I've tagged one with a 308, it rolled about 5 feet and lay there. As I was walking up to it, it took off sprinting like nothing happened to it. There was no blood, no guts. Weirdest thing I've seen

Before I bought a .243 or .223 bolt gun, I used to hunt them with a 30-06 with 110 grain hand loads, I had many that received a sold hit, run and make it back to their hole, sometimes leaving no trail of blood, sometimes leaving internal body parts at the location of impact. These were shots that were several hundred yards away, with my hunting partner watching through their scope. At less then 50 yards, the ground hogs tended to turn inside out.

Happened to me with my bow last fall.

The little one blew my mind. I hit it at 40 yards or so with a 158gr HP and it actually rolled. Then bounced around a little and ran off. Couldn’t believe it.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Got another little one tonight. 50 yards offhand 38 Special +P out of my Henry. Turned it inside out..... photo is obviously exit side.

Attachments

• 830F894D-264E-4F41-9861-7ED8F0B06810.jpg
      830F894D-264E-4F41-9861-7ED8F0B06810.jpg
      231 KB · Views: 212

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Got another little one tonight. 50 yards offhand 38 Special +P out of my Henry. Turned it inside out..... photo is obviously exit side.

Nice!

I just spied a big ol' buck pig in my back yard tonight. I was going out to feed my smoker and he jumped out from under my weeping mulberry tree(one of their favorite eats). My bow is now at the ready, sitting on my couch.

To be continued...

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I've only used 17hmr and 22lr. But I've hit them with 17hmr and sometimes never find an entry wound. Looks like they had a massive stroke. That 17hmr just grenades in them when I get a center mass hit.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I've only used 17hmr and 22lr. But I've hit them with 17hmr and sometimes never find an entry wound. Looks like they had a massive stroke. That 17hmr just grenades in them when I get a center mass hit.

Last year I got two with my Golden Boy .22. It did it’s job but the 22lr just didn’t kill them quick enough for me. The bigger of the two required a followup shot. So I switched to my Big Boy and 38 Special/357 seems to do the trick nicely.

I had a 17 but sold it before I saw any groundhogs to use it on last year.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    30+ years ago I watched a buddy of mine head shoot one with a .22Lr, flipped it over backwards. As we were walking up to inspect the kill it got up shook its head and disappeared down into the ground.
    About a year later his dog (shepherd wolf mix) who liked to hunt dropped a dead hog at the back doorstep with a skunk stripe scar between its ears :lol2:
    I can't imagine the headache that G-hog had that day.

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    I wouldn't say I am a bad shot

But Saturday I tried to shoot a chuck at work with my phone... And missed!

noddaz

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I've gotten two so far this year. The one in the tall grass at about 60 yards and the other one at about 30.

Attachments

• 20180507_124123.jpg
      20180507_124123.jpg
      230.5 KB · Views: 255
    • 20180523_161043.jpg
      20180523_161043.jpg
      241.8 KB · Views: 221

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    New Windsor version

Here is my contribution.
    9mm 92A1 from 25yrds

Attachments

• 8250D6B0-3A6D-47AA-894C-E6284DD1ECD6.jpg
      8250D6B0-3A6D-47AA-894C-E6284DD1ECD6.jpg
      121.1 KB · Views: 192

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, I just center-punched one with my bow. I've been after him for a week or so. Unfortunately, he darted under my ground-level deck. Hopefully he's deep enough under ground so as no to stink the place up much...I hope. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom