• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I don’t have any experience up here but I hunt them on my property in VA. I normally hunt them at night with a 300BO with a suppressor and subs with an Elusive Technology’s Green Kill Light Mounted to the scope. The kill light is effective out to 100-125 yards and like foxes they don’t seem to see the light at all. We normally call them in using a rabbit squeal. Any kind of hurt animal noise usually gets their attention. I normally carry a 12GA as a backup as I have had them get very close very fast at times.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I remember hearing about burros taking out predators like coyotes and bobcats etc

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yup.

buck-coyote-cover.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

muleattack.jpg

SoMDSlugger

Jul 20, 2018
    Good Evening All. I'm the old new kid on the block, but, I've taken two here in Charles County so far. Wasn't looking for them, but, it just happened. There's been a few other kills and couple trapped here as well going back to about October 2017. I'm going to have a look around and see what's new.

SoMDSlugger

Jul 20, 2018
    Buddy of mine has got two of them in Charles County so far.

Attachments

• COYOTE 2.jpg
      COYOTE 2.jpg
      29.5 KB · Views: 260
    • COYOTE 1.jpg
      COYOTE 1.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 246

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Did not know we had coyotes in MD... damn.

Never seen a real one. Wolves i saw way up north once. Terrifying experience, especially since we were un-armed. Luckily they were not interested in us.

Now moose and bears... i got stories to tell hahaha...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Did not know we had coyotes in MD... damn.

Never seen a real one. Wolves i saw way up north once. Terrifying experience, especially since we were un-armed. Luckily they were not interested in us.

Now moose and bears... i got stories to tell hahaha...
    Coyotes are a relatively new addition to local ecosystems, and were first documented in Maryland during 1972. Initial substantiated sightings occurred in Cecil, Frederick and Washington counties. Since that time population densities and occupied range have expanded incrementally and coyotes now occur statewide. Current trends appear to display a declining distribution gradient when proceeding in a west to east direction across the state. Highest densities are witnessed in western Maryland, and the lowest occur on the eastern shore.

Coyotes in Maryland
    http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/coyote.aspx

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Lot more detail than I was expecting, but that made it more satisfying.

The 29% growth in the coyote population that they noted in Virginia (assuming with similar coyote hunting laws) and estimated would be in the range of what to expect here in Maryland may be a bottom threshold given that Maryland and Delaware were the last of the states in the CONUS to be populated by Eastward expansion of the predators. More habitat available to occupy and fill.

Noted this bit of the advisory as well ...

In fact, a localized indicator of the presence of coyotes is a rapid decline in the free ranging cat population.

In the West, "outdoor cats" are a rare phenomena, even in cities, due to the coyotes.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Lot more detail than I was expecting, but that made it more satisfying.

The 29% growth in the coyote population that they noted in Virginia (assuming with similar coyote hunting laws) and estimated would be in the range of what to expect here in Maryland may be a bottom threshold given that Maryland and Delaware were the last of the states in the CONUS to be populated by Eastward expansion of the predators. More habitat available to occupy and fill.

Noted this bit of the advisory as well ...

In the West, "outdoor cats" are a rare phenomena, even in cities, due to the coyotes.

In our neighborhood about 3 years ago we had a sudden depopulation of outdoor cats and feral rabbits. Deer also disappeared. It only took a few months to guess that we had a new predator prowling.

Neighbor's farm is getting harassed now, as they have game birds. Turkey, quail, peacocks. They're trying to repopulate the area. Coyote got one peahen this week, and appears the coyote is coming from our farm. So will have to handle that one

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom