• ...and so much more!
  • r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    More food for thought:
    il_570xN.1187010264_aygw.jpg

Wasn't even looking for this but bottle opener and flat screw driver built in? Nifty.

(Kershaw 4036BLK Sinkevich)

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    It seems like friction folders generally don't have frame locks. I really don't like that as I prefer my fingers attached to my hand.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks everyone for the input here and in the PM's, all very helpful.

Did a first draft sketch of a friction folder with extra long tang that prevents it from folding in your hand. Although technically it will be a folding (pen knife', The tang will be long enough that it will essentially be as strong as a fixed blade knife, but safer, more useful, legal in Maryland, and able to carry in a pocket without a sheath.

Wasn't even looking for this but bottle opener and flat screw driver built in? Nifty.

(Kershaw 4036BLK Sinkevich)

Yep, very clever how the bottle opener and screwdriver were incorporated into the handle instead of the blade. I like both of these features on an EDC knife, makes it more functional.

It seems like friction folders generally don't have frame locks. I really don't like that as I prefer my fingers attached to my hand.

Good point, and I'm still kind of new to the different types of friction folders. As you imply, most common pocket knives without locks typically employ what's called a slip-joint and have a nail-nick, or a small slot for a fingernail to pull the blade out of the handle. This isn't very safe for heavier duty work. The style of friction knife I'm showing images of and discussing would have an extended part of the back of the blade, so when open, held in the hand it's extremely strong and secure, essentially a fixed blade knife, but with a pivot handle that it folds into for storage and transport.

I now own several of this kind of friction folder, there is no stronger or safer type of folding knife, because there is no weak point, no break in the blade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom