• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archi

Vote or die trying
    Jan 9, 2012
    Get an Attorney, plenty of capable ones on the forum. IANAL but I have read numerous posts where a writ of mandamus (sp?) can be filed to get the government to stop stalling. Really is ridiculous when there is a process and the board has made its decision that the government again thinks that they can play games.

As far as I know the AAG is not part of the process officially at all the Governor has the absolute authority to order his state police superintendent to honor the boards decision and issue your permit. Sadly, Hogan has refused to step up in this manner in any instance.
    I appreciate the counsel but at the moment, my strategy is active patience. My birthday is looming and my lay read of the law says that the permit will expire on my birthday following the two-years-from-issue date. So if I have this right, I get my an extra year on my permit if it's issued just after my birthday rather than just before. It will have been a close to a two year process to get this permit so the extra year to plan the renewal could be worthwhile since it's only good for two years.

And I agree with your assessment ... I can find nothing in the law that says that the AAG has a role here.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    No letter yet. I'm told that this is the AAG's review of the letter. Samiyah, at the HPRB, has been excellent at getting back to me with updates. She said that the Board has "several" decision letters in Draft, undergoing review by an Assistant Attorney General. She inquired how soon they will be complete and, at this time, there was no update. Also ...

Samiyah says that the MSP appeal window has already taken place. There was an initial 30-day wait after the vote during which -- again, according to Samiyah -- the MSP could have objected.

BTW, I loved your post about the world-record for the oldest introduction ... 12,798 posts later! :lol:

BS! MSP is required by COMAR to issue at the instruction of HPRB and the AG has no place at all in the process. Again ... you are being railroaded by folks outside the legal process.

I'm in the same boat with the OP, the hold up is NOT with MSP, it's the AAG that's assigned to the HPRB, Ben Legum, affectionately referred to as "JV Lawyer".

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    No letter yet. I'm told that this is the AAG's review of the letter. Samiyah, at the HPRB, has been excellent at getting back to me with updates. She said that the Board has "several" decision letters in Draft, undergoing review by an Assistant Attorney General. She inquired how soon they will be complete and, at this time, there was no update. Also ...

Samiyah says that the MSP appeal window has already taken place. There was an initial 30-day wait after the vote during which -- again, according to Samiyah -- the MSP could have objected.

BTW, I loved your post about the world-record for the oldest introduction ... 12,798 posts later! :lol:

I believe our dear Samiyah is incorrect. The decision of the HPRB is not final until the letter goes out to both the applicant and the MSP. It is at that time that the MSP or the applicant have 30 days to seek judicial review in Circuit Court.

I appreciate the counsel but at the moment, my strategy is active patience. My birthday is looming and my lay read of the law says that the permit will expire on my birthday following the two-years-from-issue date. So if I have this right, I get my an extra year on my permit if it's issued just after my birthday rather than just before. It will have been a close to a two year process to get this permit so the extra year to plan the renewal could be worthwhile since it's only good for two years.

And I agree with your assessment ... I can find nothing in the law that says that the AAG has a role here.

Well played, sir, and a great way to see the forest.

I will be rattling Samiyah's cage tomorrow and take it further if needed.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Amazing what happens after you send an email to Secretary Moyer of DPSCS.

Multiple emails back from the admin and the Executive Director of Special Programs and Services, whatever that is, at DPSCS to confirm that the holdup is INDEED with AAG Legum. He is currently "reviewing" 41 cases......

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

Multiple emails back from the admin and the Executive Director of Special Programs and Services, whatever that is, at DPSCS to confirm that the holdup is INDEED with AAG Legum. He is currently "reviewing" 41 cases......
    Again, what authority exists under the law for him to delay the processing and issuance of the decision letter?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Zero. I believe that the board has been having him review the letters as a courtesy, but that might change....:innocent0

Tactical error - should never have included them in the process. I bet that this was requested by the AAG. I wonder if the AG's office has also been playing the officers in the LD in the same manner, instructing them to deny, create restrictions, etc.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

41 cases must go back months. If I were one of them, I'd be hiring a lawyer and starting a class action suit.

I bet this isn't the only thing Frosh is doing that oversteps the authority of his office.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Tactical error - should never have included them in the process. I bet that this was requested by the AAG. I wonder if the AG's office has also been playing the officers in the LD in the same manner, instructing them to deny, create restrictions, etc.

In hindsight, yes, but in the past JV has turned them around in a timely fashion.

I have my suspicions on this particular batch but I'm not going to speculate in public.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I trust your intuition/suspicions in these matters. :thumbsup: Glad the HPRB is reconsidering their inclusion of a branch of state gov't which is overstepping statutory authority.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    How many days does the state get to appeal a HPRB ruling? Maybe they don't issue until that time period is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom