• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Regulus91

Aug 3, 2017
    Myersville, MD
    What's up, everyone? I'm from Thurmont but moved to Myersville, I've been into firearms and shooting my whole life but never had the financial means to enjoy it until recently. I'm still on a tight budget but I have a little spending money to support my hobby, lol.

I've been lurking for a few weeks but wanted to join because I've got a lot to say and want to help the pro-2A cause here in MD any way I can. Hey, we need everybody and their grandmother on board, strength in numbers! I've already wrote President Trump AND our senators Cardin/Van Hollen AND Jamie Raskin (lot of good that'll do with those three libs in office) in support of the National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, plus I've contacted both my County Council member (Kirby Delauter), the County Executive Jan Gardner, and our state legislators (Afzali, Ciliberti, and Vogt) about the lack of a public shooting range in Frederick County. I've even written a letter to the FNP about it, even though it probably has a snowball's chance in hell at getting printed. I'm a new member of the NRA, the MSRPA, and MSI.

I only wish there were more places to go shooting around here that aren't super-duper expensive, with Cresap closed I'm pretty much at a loss as to where I can go and shoot rifles/shotguns outdoors. All of the other ranges around here want +$90 or more yearly (sometimes upwards of $200 or $300) for membership, not including initiation fees and extra fees charged to those who can't volunteer manpower hours. Between raising a nine-month old baby, working full-time down in MoCo, and having a wife that works full-time herself; it's safe to say I barely even have time to go shooting, much less honor any volunteer commitment. I'm already juggling a lot of responsibilities. I'm considering making a trek one weekend out to Carroll County to visit the Hap Baker range, although it's quite a drive from where I am.

Any ideas or suggestions for places in-state to go plinking? I'm within a half-hour's drive of the PA state line, and my grandparents have some property in the woods outside Thurmont but I have only very limited opportunities to shoot there because of whiny neighbors.

Thanks! :party29:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Have you checked out the Catoctin wildlife and game club at the end of Clark Rd? Membership, need a member to sponsor, fill out application and they meet I believe in January to select. They have skeet shooting on thursday evenings. Go on down tonight and talk to someone in the "clubhouse". Bunch of friendly people.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Have you checked out the Catoctin wildlife and game club at the end of Clark Rd? Membership, need a member to sponsor, fill out application and they meet I believe in January to select. They have skeet shooting on thursday evenings. Go on down tonight and talk to someone in the "clubhouse". Bunch of friendly people.

I'm a member at Catoctin Fish and Game club. If you put in the hours (16/year) its like $40 a year or so. If you don't put in the hours, its $200/yr.

IWL out in clearsprings/hancok is like $80/year, and you can shoot out too 200 yards(maybe 300).

I live in the same town, welcome!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome, from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm a member at Catoctin Fish and Game club. If you put in the hours (16/year) its like $40 a year or so. If you don't put in the hours, its $200/yr.

IWL out in clearsprings/hancok is like $80/year, and you can shoot out too 200 yards(maybe 300).

I live in the same town, welcome!

We are going to have to meet for a drink sometime. I have lived on Clark Rd for 27 years. Believe it or not I only put in my application a few years ago but when they called me for the meeting I couldn't make it because I was prepping my dad for a move to the VA home. Wonder how many of us there are in town?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    We are going to have to meet for a drink sometime. I have lived on Clark Rd for 27 years. Believe it or not I only put in my application a few years ago but when they called me for the meeting I couldn't make it because I was prepping my dad for a move to the VA home. Wonder how many of us there are in town?

Sounds good, can't imagine a ton of us, the town is pretty small haha.

I live on "Turkey hill"

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 84

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Welcome from Keedysville. Green Ridge State Forest is a nice ride with a range. $5 a day or $25 for the year, I think.....

Regulus91

Aug 3, 2017
    Myersville, MD

Sorry I couldn't make it this past Thursday, I had to watch my son that evening while my wife was at work, I work mornings and she works evenings. I'll try and make it in there one Thursday evening hopefully later this month to meet some fellow shooters and talk about getting sponsored by one! 16 hours a year doesn't sound too bad if I can squeeze it into weekends, I've actually done a decent bit of groundskeeping for family and I can help with computers. $40 a year is manageable, I just have to overcome the initial $200 entry fee. Gotta save up for it, little by little.

It's good to know I'm not alone here in Myersville! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom