• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveW

Aug 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Hello, everyone! I have been reading the forum on and off for a while and finally decided to create an account today.

I am originally from Parkville but I have lived in Carroll County for almost 30 years now, since I was still in grade school. With both police and military in the family, I obviously grew up around firearms. I was taught to shoot at a young age and enjoyed it as a hobby up through my teenage years until I got too busy with college. Never really got back to it after that, so as an adult I have never owned any firearms. Fast forward 10-15 years and I am now happily married with a house in rural Carroll County and a groundhog problem under my barn and shed. As luck would have it, I now have the perfect opportunity to fill this void in my life and pick up yet another expensive hobby! :clap:

I will be starting out just where I did as a kid, getting back to the basics with with a .22 LR. This will also work out perfectly to resolve my immediate rodent problem, and hopefully lead to a fun hobby that I can share with my wife. She is not really a fan of firearms, despite living in rural Carroll County her whole life and being raised by a farmer. She isn't "anti-gun" by any stretch of the imagination, just uninformed from lack of exposure to them. I fully intend to teach her basic firearm safety at my own insistence (and while I brush up on this myself). I also intend to teach her how to shoot... if she's willing to take it that far. She didn't freak out when I mentioned buying a rifle, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Now, I'm not completely up to speed with the Free State's (oh the irony) latest GC laws and bans other than following the occasional news article here and there. I have already been doing some research to see where I want to start and I'm sure you'll be seeing some questions from me if I don't find any up-to-date info on what I am looking for. For those wondering, I am looking to start out with a S&W M&P 15-22 and acquiring some 25-round magazines out of state before that freedom is completely taken away from us, too.

Thank you all for welcoming me into this community. I'm looking forward to another new hobby!

-Dave

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Welcome from Hampstead. I picked up the M&P 15-22 back in March & love it. Because the controls are identical to the full-size AR (many AR 22's aren't) it's good practice for the AR at a way cheaper price. Good luck with your renewed interest in shooting. Careful, it's contagious.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome, from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

DaveW

Aug 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Welcome from Hampstead. I picked up the M&P 15-22 back in March & love it. Because the controls are identical to the full-size AR (many AR 22's aren't) it's good practice for the AR at a way cheaper price. Good luck with your renewed interest in shooting. Careful, it's contagious.

Thanks!

That's the biggest reason why I've got the M&P in my sights. I originally looked at the Ruger 10-22, which led me to the SR-22. I was considering the SR-22 for a while until I saw a comparison between that and the M&P. I like the SR-22, but the biggest drawback for me is the lack of true AR style controls, as you mentioned.

Thanks to the true AR design the M&P is also much simpler to break down and clean, which means I am more likely to take care of it in the long run. That's a big win in my book. :thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join our fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads