• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Here we are: https://www.abmartin.net/

Deal directly with homeowners and contractors alike, can build a full barn right out of the store pretty much.

Imagine the homeowners who have been kicked in the nuts by some of these fully legit and legal eagle guys. Just the ones we hear about are enough to make you wonder how some people sleep at night.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I've worked with this guy before in the fire department so I believe he's a decent person.

I just want this saga to end

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I just bought a $2500.00 laptop from a guy on the corner for $20.00
    It's not my business where he got it from.

Now on a serious and civil note:
    I have been in business for over a 1/4 century, in that time I have I have flown to many states to sit in many meetings sponsored by clients we contract with.
    A repeat scenario is examples of a contractor who did not workers comp and someone gets hurt. If an uninsured "contractor" falls off that roof and is killed or crippled, the property owner WILL be sued by the wife, children or estate, and they WILL win 100% of the time period, I have poured over decades of case studies.
    Our clients require a certified "certificate of insurance" once a month, including workers comp, Our insurance company comes to MY office once a year and goes through EVERY piece of paper and my computer. Workers comp is such a SERIOUS matter, and it shows by the lengths the clients go through to make sure we have the proper coverage and the "body cavity search" the insurance audit does on my office to make sure we are not skewing the numbers to get a lower rate.
    Let me say it again, if you hire a "contractor" who does not have WC insurance and someone is hurt/killed, the homeowner is paying for it %110 of the time.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Just be careful, especially with a roof. “You get what you pay for” is something that always seems to ring true in my experience. If someone is so much cheaper than everyone else, there is a reason.

Good luck.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I just bought a $2500.00 laptop from a guy on the corner for $20.00
    It's not my business where he got it from.

Apples and Oranges. That would essentially be participating in theft.

I don't have to "play dumb" as a customer with another business person. His responsibilities are his, mine are mine.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Apples to Apples.
    He is not paying his share of taxes, stealing from ALL tax paying Americans, by make us pay more to cover his share.
    You know he is stealing from us, but turn a blind eye so you can get a great deal on a product ,,, "Apples to Apples"

I don't have to "play dumb" as a customer with another business person. His responsibilities are his, mine are mine.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013

I could save you about $30 a square by using illegal immigrants...... but I refuse to. If I did, I wouldnt be able to complain about not having a border wall.:D

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Apples to Apples.

He is not paying his share of taxes, stealing from ALL tax paying Americans, by make us pay more to cover his share.

You know he is stealing from us, but turn a blind eye so you can get a great deal on a product ,,, "Apples to Apples"
    Huh..... major communication disconnect here bud.

How exactly again is someone not having a State issued license tied to your assumption he's evading taxes?

And, how would one find out this info? Am I supposed to ask for a copy of his prior two years tax returns before he can begin work?

Pretty presumptuous if you ask me.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The license and tax part doesn't really concern me. The no insurance part would scare me, too much liability to take on if he or one of his workers gets hurt or worse on my property.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I could save you about $30 a square by using illegal immigrants...... but I refuse to. If I did, I wouldn't be able to complain about not having a border wall.:D

Again, that would be a business decision/risk YOU would need to take on, not the homeowners job to ask for green cards.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He wont do the work without his MHIC he told me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Then he's likely full of shit. You can look up any State licensed professional on DLLR. Shouldn't be much of a hold up really if he knows what's he's doing.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Then he's likely full of shit. You can look up any State licensed professional on DLLR. Shouldn't be much of a hold up really if he knows what's he's doing.

I looked. There's no valid MHIC for his name or his business.

But I mean, I can't force him to do the work. He's giving me my deposit back. So I need to find someone else. He might be lying, he might not be, in the end, he's refusing to do the work without the license.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I looked. There's no valid MHIC for his name or his business.

But I mean, I can't force him to do the work. He's giving me my deposit back. So I need to find someone else. He might be lying, he might not be, in the end, he's refusing to do the work without the license.

If he's bailing on you, at least he's giving you the deposit back without having to chase him down. Who really knows what he's got going on?

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Yes :)
    I believe everyone should pay their "Fair Share"
    Currently the bottom 48% pay NO federal income taxes, while the upper 10% are pay almost ALL the burden.
    I believe everyone should pay into system and feel the pain, maybe then we would reduce the size of Government.

So yes, it is time the poor and middle class start to pay "their fare share" :)

"Fair share of taxes".

On a GUN board no less!

Wow.:sad20:

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    How he operates his business is not my concern. I paid for the materials myself with a company Visa and him with a bank check. Not my responsibility to audit the guys books to see if he's straight with the IRS.

If he doesn’t have insurance, it absolutely should be your concern. If he or one of his crew is hurt on the job without workers comp insurance then you are liable. They’re twenty feet in the air and not tied off. I wouldn’t let them on my property. They’re rarely deals out there. You get what you pay for. We’re defending a $2M workers comp claim at work right now. I’m glad it worked out for you, but I would not take the risk.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    He wont do the work without his MHIC he told me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He underbid. As posted, waiting for the actual hard copy os meaningless. If he paid for the license and fulfilled all the other requirements, he's free to commence contracting.

As for the other stuff posted here, some real reaching going on. How did unlicensed translate to no insurance and tax evasion? Also no, you are no liable if a contractor gets hurt on your property unless you play a part in it. A contractor is termed an invitee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom