• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I didn’t even think about that. I guess that kinda makes up my mind for me. I completely forgot about md deer laws.

Not only 6 inch, but also 700 foot lbs. of energy at the muzzle on handguns for deer.

Should be fine energy wise if sticking to 44 mag, but the energy requirement is something to pay attention to if you look to step down in cartridge.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^^ Yeppers. 1225 fps required for a 210 grain 41 Magnum load, easily doable. 357 would probably need a 7" to 8" barrel to get the required velocities using 125 and 158 grain bullets without beating the gun to death - 1590 and 1420 fps respectively. 1325 if you wanted to use a 180 grain.

I use a 7.5" Super Blackhawk for deer because of the Maryland law. Rather use the 5.5" Redhawk but that's Maryland. Fortunately, I am proficient with both and can readily pick on up and go with it.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    ^^^^ Yeppers. 1225 fps required for a 210 grain 41 Magnum load, easily doable. 357 would probably need a 7" to 8" barrel to get the required velocities using 125 and 158 grain bullets without beating the gun to death - 1590 and 1420 fps respectively. 1325 if you wanted to use a 180 grain.

I use a 7.5" Super Blackhawk for deer because of the Maryland law. Rather use the 5.5" Redhawk but that's Maryland. Fortunately, I am proficient with both and can readily pick on up and go with it.

Understood, I used my 5.5 in Redhawk successfully in Md. Is Ranger Hal going to actually measure it? Probably not, to me it was worth the chance.

Halcard2.gif

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've got an old, worn and much used first year (1956) pre-29 that my Dad bought brand new in 1956. One of the original coke bottle grips is missing a chunk that broke off at some point due to recoil - this old gun has eaten up a lot of Keith full-house loads, and I only shoot lighter loaded reloads out of it now.

At some point in the future I'd love to get another 44 mag of some kind though - the old S&W Model 29 can't be beat IMO for aesthetics and function, but those are getting harder to come by, so I'll probably wind up with a Redhawk or Super Redhawk when I finally go that route.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I've got an old, worn and much used first year (1956) pre-29 that my Dad bought brand new in 1956. One of the original coke bottle grips is missing a chunk that broke off at some point due to recoil - this old gun has eaten up a lot of Keith full-house loads, and I only shoot lighter loaded reloads out of it now.

At some point in the future I'd love to get another 44 mag of some kind though - the old S&W Model 29 can't be beat IMO for aesthetics and function, but those are getting harder to come by, so I'll probably wind up with a Redhawk or Super Redhawk when I finally go that route.

I'm just now going down that path (looking for old model 29), there are plenty. Gunbroker has a ton.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Dan Wesson 44VH-4.
    I originally bought this as the 44VH-8 for IHMSA.
    This is the only pic that I have of this beast.

The 8" barrel/shroud are tucked away in the safe.

When I first got it, two chambers were tight, and both the single and double action trigger pull(s) were horrendous.
    Sent it back to DW, and the chambers were honed and the trigger job is nothing short of phenomenal.
    2.5 lb single-action pull!!!!!!! "Like butta!"

This old revolver will NEVER be sold.
    Shown with S&W mdl 60 Ladysmith for comparison.

Attachments

• DW44-VH4_SWMdl60.jpg
      DW44-VH4_SWMdl60.jpg
      44.9 KB · Views: 129

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    But how are they priced? Typically, they are good and expensive, and probably asking more than they are worth.

Some are reasonable and realistic. Others are just completely ridiculous, just like what some sellers are asking for Colt Pythons.

I got lucky when I found my 29-2. I fell bass ackwards into it. A friend had one in near-mint condition that he had had for years and offered to sell it to me at an extremely fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom