• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Update..
    Spoke to a couple folks at MSP who handle the Wear and carry app's said that I should go to the court house and get the records from. So I did and was told they have no record whatsoever and it's because it was expunged.
    I dropped off the W&C application today and noted that, did what was told and will see when the time comes if it's an issue.

Last edited:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Finishing up my app here to drop off tomorrow and concerned about
    10)Have you ever been ARRESTED for a violation of any criminal law..

I was arrested at 18 for DUI nearly 20yrs ago, it was expunged.
    I have no record of it and I cannot even remember the month let alone the day. Maryland case search shows absolutely nothing
    So therefore I am only left with putting down my age of arrest and year but I do not know how I could even attach any record of the arrest, court decsicion etc with no record. Was it basically zapped into thin air because it was expunged or does MSP still have record or can see an arrest?
    Maybe I can explain such during my interview

Thanks
    Personally I would tell the truth. I believe MSP will know even if it has been expunged. I take that question as a test to see if you are going to be 100% honest on the application or not. If you have been arrested and answer "NO" because it has been expunged that is not really being truthful.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Personally I would tell the truth. I believe MSP will know even if it has been expunged. I take that question as a test to see if you are going to be 100% honest on the application or not. If you have been arrested and answer "NO" because it has been expunged that is not really being truthful.
    Say no. Expunged took care of it. If you say yes, the arrest is back on the record. IANAL.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

JonInVirginia

Oct 21, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Expungement

I am not a Maryland licensed attorney. This is not legal advice.

http://www.courts.state.md.us/courtforms/joint/ccdccr072br.pdf

Page 10:
    Q: If my record is expunged, can I come in again and get a copy if I lost all the paperwork?
    A: You can petition the court to have the case reopened. However, three (3) years after the expungement has been granted, the file is shredded.

See also:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/Statute_Web/gcp/10-109.pdf

Maryland Criminal Procedure §10–109.

[. . .] (a)(1) Disclosure of expunged information about criminal charges in an application, interview or other means may not be required: [. . . } (ii) by a unit, official or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State of a person who applies for a license, permit, registration or governmental service.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I am not a Maryland licensed attorney. This is not legal advice.

http://www.courts.state.md.us/courtforms/joint/ccdccr072br.pdf

Page 10:
    Q: If my record is expunged, can I come in again and get a copy if I lost all the paperwork?
    A: You can petition the court to have the case reopened. However, three (3) years after the expungement has been granted, the file is shredded.

See also:
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/Statute_Web/gcp/10-109.pdf

Maryland Criminal Procedure §10–109.

[. . .] (a)(1) Disclosure of expunged information about criminal charges in an application, interview or other means may not be required: [. . . } (ii) by a unit, official or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State of a person who applies for a license, permit, registration or governmental service.
    This is not news to me but will be too many. Great post. You should do an intro post asap. I didn't respond to your PM because you had no posts previously.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Just wanted to update everyone on my permit process thus far.

I went to my informal review where 1SG sustained the denial back in July. I immediately reacted asking for a HPRB hearing (formal hearing) which I complete this past tuesday (OCT 3). The Board saw fit that I indeed had G&S and overturned the MDSP to issue an unrestricted permit. G&S can be found below. Thanks.

1. For any lawful purpose;

2. OPM data breach, Due to the recent hacking of the Office of Personnel Management System database, which I am apart of, is currently being sold Online which contains all but not limited to the following information contained on the SF86; A. Current security clearances held, B. current address of work, C. current address of residence, D. physical description as well as immediate family members, E. military history. F. Full name, G. Social Security number, H. date and place of birth, educational background, employment history, personal foreign travel, other information about immediate family as well as business and personal acquaintances and other information used to conduct and adjudicate background investigations. (See documentation attached);

3. Current military member (US Army Officer) See DD-214;

4. Work at fort Belvoir (targeted by: ISIS and other radicalized groups);

5. DOD Secret clearance ;

6. DOJ security clearance (pending adjudication);

7. DOD credentials always on person (PIV/Access card);

8. DOJ credentials always on person (ATF PIV/Access card);

9. Recent attacks on Law-Enforcement Officers and Military members from radicalized groups;

10. lawfully protect family and self outside of my home and while traversing the state of Maryland;

11. Credit cards exceeding $20,000 USD;
    This is awesome! I would like to ask your opinion, which of your reasons do you think carried the most weight?

I'm no longer active military, but I am a federal employee on a military installation, with a secret clearance, and an OPM victim. I can use the credit card limits as well.

Based on your experience, do you think I have a shot? Or did being active in uniform tip the scales in your favor?

I didn't think I'd ever have a shot at a permit, but your post has me thinking that I'd like to try.

Thanks!

-Jerry

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    This is awesome! I would like to ask your opinion, which of your reasons do you think carried the most weight?

I'm no longer active military, but I am a federal employee on a military installation, with a secret clearance, and an OPM victim. I can use the credit card limits as well.

Based on your experience, do you think I have a shot? Or did being active in uniform tip the scales in your favor?

I didn't think I'd ever have a shot at a permit, but your post has me thinking that I'd like to try.

Thanks!

-Jerry

I would say you absolutely have a shot. Active duty helps, but I can speak from experience that being a federal employee(no prior military experience) with secret and OPM leak is enough. You will almost definitely be denied initially by the MSP as they specifically treat TS and Secret different, but HPRB has been approving Secret with a reasonable G+S argument.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    I would say you absolutely have a shot. Active duty helps, but I can speak from experience that being a federal employee(no prior military experience) with secret and OPM leak is enough. You will almost definitely be denied initially by the MSP as they specifically treat TS and Secret different, but HPRB has been approving Secret with a reasonable G+S argument.
    Thanks for the insight! I'm going to submit an application. Any other advice with regard to wording (or really anything else)?

Thanks for the help!

Jan 31, 2017

Regarding Secret vs. TS, are you saying that TS would be more or less likely in this scenario above to get MSP approval?

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    Regarding Secret vs. TS, are you saying that TS would be more or less likely in this scenario above to get MSP approval?

TS is almost a given to get approval. In their training, MSP are taught that someone with TS works with a high enough classification of information that it satisfies the G&S(this is all as of this fall, so this may absolutely change in either direction, I'm just passing on what I learned).

MSP views Secret as much less important, and will almost always, if not always, reject that as a G&S. The HPRB though is willing to hear arguments for why a Secret is enough, and has approved for Secret and OPM leak alone. Though I will say, those two in combination are important, a Secret without being part of the OPM leak will probably not be enough to convince the board.

jojotapp

Apr 24, 2017
    Wear and Carry Received Yesterday, 11/6/17

Hello and thanks for all the information this group has provided. I haven't posted that much but wanted to share some information that others may find helpful in their process.

Started the process with training on 6/24/17 and application was turned in the week of 7/4.

MSP cashed my check on 7/15

MSP called me on/about 10/3 and set up live interview meeting for 10/13

Interview on 10/13- References were called while I was en route to the interview and my wife was called while I was in interview (I dialed her from my phone and handed phone over to Trooper). Questions about my "G&S" were more for information gathering rather than a challenge to their validity. Trooper was polite, professional and personable. I owed him one document from the meeting which I provided (after receiving a courtesy reminder call from him) on 10/18. I was the one at fault for the delay, not MSP.

I received two more calls from the Trooper asking for information already provided about a week apart and each time he re-stated that he was sending my application to the board. One call was to inform me that not showing enough commissions as a REALTOR "wasn't going to fly" for G&S but my other business looked "ok".

11/6- received W&C in the mail with restriction while conducting business for my non-REALTOR business.

Glad to answer any questions, and thanks again.

Jojo

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Hello and thanks for all the information this group has provided. I haven't posted that much but wanted to share some information that others may find helpful in their process.

If by "that much" you mean one post, then yes. :)

Congratulations on being 'awarded' your permit!! Too bad hoi polloi like me will get one NO time soon. :(

Maybe go here and tell us a bit more aboput yourself:

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Again, congrats!!! :thumbsup:

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012

Started the process with training on 6/24/17 and application was turned in the week of 7/4.

MSP cashed my check on 7/15

MSP called me on/about 10/3 and set up live interview meeting for 10/13

Interview on 10/13- References were called while I was en route to the interview and my wife was called while I was in interview (I dialed her from my phone and handed phone over to Trooper). Questions about my "G&S" were more for information gathering rather than a challenge to their validity. Trooper was polite, professional and personable. I owed him one document from the meeting which I provided (after receiving a courtesy reminder call from him) on 10/18. I was the one at fault for the delay, not MSP.

I received two more calls from the Trooper asking for information already provided about a week apart and each time he re-stated that he was sending my application to the board. One call was to inform me that not showing enough commissions as a REALTOR "wasn't going to fly" for G&S but my other business looked "ok".

11/6- received W&C in the mail with restriction while conducting business for my non-REALTOR business.

Glad to answer any questions, and thanks again.

Jojo

I would appeal that. Licensed Realtor conducting business is enough under their g&s scheme.

Once I got that added, I would appeal all restrictions to the HPRB as a violation of your 2nd, 4th, 5th and 14th Amendment rights.

Join MarylandShallIssue.org for helpful documentation and self/help support.

jojotapp

Apr 24, 2017
    It's funny, I saw that my earlier post was "#1" and thought my memory must not be as good as I previously thought! This makes #2 and promise #3+ will have better substance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom